Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Happy 86th to Birthday BB King!  (Read 1493 times)

Offline prjacobs

Happy 86th to Birthday BB King!
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:49 AM »
Anyone who plays blues guitar, at least when I grew up, was "turned on" (as we used to say:), to BB King, Live at the Regal.
I had the great fortune to go to the BB King Museum a couple of years ago and it was very moving. I'm in Mississippi, driving to the museum, looking around at cotton fields that were once worked by slaves, taking it all in. Even now, the area is desolate and poor.
At the museum, the experience starts with some historical images of life in the south around the time of BB's birth. Suddenly some traditional acoustic blues guitar starts playing and I almost lose it[:)]. What hits me is that slaves took the music of their oppressors and transformed it into something so amazing. What a affirmation of life and the spirit of humanity!  And then at the museum, you start to hear BB King's more urban blues. It was a wonderful day!
Anyway... I highly recommend this album to every guitarist. It captures a great moment in time. This is classic BB, performing for his audience, not a bunch of college kids.

http://youtu.be/WSZuwTZaTjk

Here's another one at Sing Sing Prison:
http://youtu.be/LWLAAzOBoBI
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:34:55 AM by prjacobs »

Offline RoneB

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
Today I'm Riding with the king. I haven put that in the CD for a long time now. Thanks for the post. The man is such an Icon.
Ron..
98 Simon Supreme, 97 NiteFly, 2000 Custom Shop Strat, 2004 Telecaster Custom, 2 USACG Custom Designs, Fender Cyber Twin, Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 Combo.

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
Great tone, great playing, great singing! Just all-around greatness!! [8D]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97  TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '99 Tobacco Sunburst Supreme 5lbs13oz; '09 Custom DragonFly 814 (Hardtail) 4lbs10oz; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp

'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline jester700

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27:46 AM »
Just saw him a few weeks ago with Buddy Guy.  Though he's showing his age, it's amazing that he still gets onstage and inspires people.  He inspired me to spend money - just got a semi-hollowbody off the bay...  ;-)