Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: p44 identification help!  (Read 4633 times)

Offline mateo69

p44 identification help!
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the 'Parker' family and forum. I just purchased a Korean P44 and I'm trying to ID when it was made and confirm all the specs on it. It appears to me to be an older version with the Wilkinson-style trem, the older-style control layout, but it has uncovered Duncans on it mounted with black pickup rings (I am assuming they are the factory installed models...JB/Jazz?). I don't physically have the guitar in my possession yet, so I haven't been able to take it apart to confirm. The weird thing is that the serial number starts with P09xxxxx, which most posts claim is a 2009 model. Does this make sense to anyone here? I'll try to attach a pic of it. Thanks for the help!

p44 identification help!

Offline mateo69

p44 identification help!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
It seems that the more I research the P44, the more confused I get. I called the 800 number on the Parker website to ask someone about my serial number and they confirmed that it was 'allegedly' made in 2009. They also told me that there were 12 different variations of the P44, but they couldn't provide me with/or point me to any info on what the differences were. I guess I will just have to keep digging around.

p44 identification help!

Offline danjazzny

p44 identification help!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum mateo69! Wish I could give you some info but know less about the P44 than you do. Here's a link to the manual in case you haven't seen it:http://www.parkerguitars.com/images/stories/manuals/PSERIES_MANUAL.pdf  [;)]

'97 Alex Artist 4lbs12oz; '99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97  TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '98 3-Tone Sunburst Artist (Hardtail)5lbs2oz; '99 Tobacco Sunburst Supreme 5lbs13oz; '09 Custom DragonFly 814 (Hardtail) 4lbs10oz; Line6 Flextone 3 Amp; Line 6 Vetta II Amp

'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

p44 identification help!

Offline mateo69

p44 identification help!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »
Thanks Dan! I'm looking forward to actually getting the guitar in my hands on Monday. I've never played a Parker before, so I hope I like it.

p44 identification help!

Offline mateo69

p44 identification help!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:58:40 PM »
So I just got the guitar earlier today and after some adjustments and tweaking I really like it. I haven't really messed with the piezo part yet, but so far I like the sound of the Seymour Duncans. Here's what needed to be done to get it playing well:

1. Shim the neck so that the action could be properly set. There was already a small shim in the neck pocket, but the back of the neck wasn't flat around the screw holes, so I gently sanded it smooth, made a larger shim and re-attached.

2. Tighten all the tuning pegs so they don't move around.

3. Level the frets. There were a few low frets causing serious fret buzz in various areas as well as some light grooves in the first 5 frets.

4. Adjust the tremolo spring claw to make the trem 'float' properly so it's not sitting against the body.

After all these adjustments this thing really plays nice. I can tell the frets might still need minor leveling in certain areas, but I want to give it a few days with the new strings on it to get settled in. It might just need more neck relief, which is a quick adjustment.

A few other things I noticed were that the fingerboard is Rosewood and NOT Ebony. Personally, it doesn't matter to me. Just noticed it.

Also, when I took the neck off I saw something stamped in the neck pocket. I couldn't make out the first letters, but I did see '02', which makes me believe this guitar really was made in 2002. Someone in another thread indicated that a P44 that looked identical to this one was a discontinued model from 2002. Looking at my serial number (P0902xxx) again I wonder if the 'year' and 'month' are actually backwards from what was originally thought? So, mine might have been made Sept 2002 instead of Feb 2009? Anyone have any other information to confirm or dispute this idea?

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum with great information!

p44 identification help!

Offline mateo69

p44 identification help!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:29:01 AM »
So after searching all the P-series guitars that I can find pics of showing serial numbers, I've concluded that (at least for the P-series) the serial number format is backwards from what I was told by US Music Corp.

My serial number for example: P0902xxx

09 - Month - September
02 - Year - 2002
xxx - Production number

p44 identification help!

Offline ParkerP

p44 identification help!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
Hi Mateo,

As you may read in other topics in this section, there have been at least two basic versions of the P-44 (not considering the more recent P-44V and the P-44 Pro), your guitar is one of the first series and for me, the best of the two, it does have the Wilkinson trem and was issued hot in the heels of the P-38 and P-40.

All other "variations" can only be considered as such, if taking in account some details as different backplate covers, battery compartment/cover/boxes, etc.
Only the second P-44 series did have chrome covered humbuckers with cream frames, not your guitar series.

Regarding the serial number and manufacturing date, the info in your latest post is correct for the serial numbers begun by P (as there are P-series without a P in the neck serial #).
As an example, my P-40 neck serial begins by P0501... and the body was manufactured the month next: JUN 01 (could only be a few days gap).

Cheers, JPB

p44 identification help!

Offline ckyvick

p44 identification help!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
^Are you sure someone didn't change out the pickups? I have almost exactly the same one, but with chrome covered pups, black frames.
Btw I love the finish and the neck on these guitars, almost like it more than my fly for those reasons[:0]

p44 identification help!

Offline ParkerP

p44 identification help!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »
Hi!

Surely those SD pickups are an upgrade.
This first P-44 generation could either have black or (lately?) cream pickup frames, also the HBs could be metal covered or not, it seems...
While the second generation of P-44 (no Wilkinson trem) always had the cream frames and metal covered HBs.

Cheers, JPB

p44 identification help!

Offline mateo69

p44 identification help!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
I double-checked the soldering and those Duncans were the original factory-installed pickups. It seems like they offered every P-series model as a "Pro" version with Duncans.

After playing this P-44 for a few days I realized a few things:

1. I don't like the Seymour Duncans, especially when the volume is rolled back a bit, they sound very thin and tinny to me...almost like there was a treble bleed capacitor installed...which I looked for and couldn't find. Maybe the taper on the volume pot is linear and not audio? Not sure if that would cause them to sound the way they did.

2. As cool as the piezo is (and it is VERY cool) I just don't have a need for it and I hate to be a slave to the 9v battery just to play a guitar.

3. I don't really use a tremolo anymore.

4. The string spacing at the bridge of 52mm combined with a nut width of 42mm feels PERFECT for me. I have a few other guitars and they are 50mm & 54mm at the bridge and feel either too wide or too narrow.

5. I like how light the Parker is. Some of my other guitars feel like boat anchors compared to it!

So I decided to sell the P-44 and I was considering an American Nitefly UNTIL I read the spec sheet in the 2007 catalog which shows that all the American Fly's have a bridge spacing of 54mm. After looking at the other P-series models I decided to buy a P-42 since it was a hardtail, had the pickup config I preferred (2 humbuckers), no piezo, and the bridge spacing that felt best to me. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the Parker Stinger pickups and just figured that I could always just replace them with DiMarzios, but it turns out that I really like the Stingers. They are HOT pickups and must have a similar EQ profile to my other pickups because I didn't have to tweak my amp at all. I did have to level the frets quite a bit (the low E was raised to over a 1/4 inch because it was fretting out all over the place!) and clean the slots in the saddles on the tune-o-matic bridge because some of the strings weren't sustaining properly. After all the adjustments this guitar plays really well. It's easily my favorite right now.

One more serial number question though...this P-42 has a serial of 0410xxxx. Do I follow my previous post and say it was made April 2010? or since it doesn't have the 'P' before the serial, is it the other way around? October 2004? I can't figure out what years these models were produced from since Parker doesn't have catalogs for every year posted on their site.

p44 identification help!

Offline ParkerP

p44 identification help!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:23 PM »
quote:
...One more serial number question though...this P-42 has a serial of 0410xxxx. Do I follow my previous post and say it was made April 2010? or since it doesn't have the 'P' before the serial, is it the other way around? October 2004? I can't figure out what years these models were produced from since Parker doesn't have catalogs for every year posted on their site.

Hi again!

I agree that upon your preferences, the P-42 will be way more spot-on than your current P-44.

Regarding the serial number, it's as you say, not having a P before the digits, it should have been made during October 2004, also in 2010 the P-42 was no longer in production, at least as the regular version (there were late, limited P-42 Pro series both with and without a standard tremolo, also other rare, thru-body stringed without a stoptail).

The P-42's color may also confirm about it's age, specially when it's metallic grey (darker shade being the latest issued).

Cheers, JPB

p44 identification help!

Offline mateo69

p44 identification help!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
My P-42 is metallic black and has the vol/tone/toggle switch in the 'tighter' grouping. Most of the grey ones that I've seen have the vol/tone/toggle switch in a more 'open' config.

And just to summarize the serial# thing for P-Series guitars...

Serial#'s starting with P are Month/Year/Production#

Serial#'s without the P are Year/Month/Production#

Thanks for all the info!!

p44 identification help!

Offline ParkerP

p44 identification help!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:48:54 PM »
Hi!

Yes, that serial # rule is right for the P-series Parkers, not necessarely for the US produced guitars...
I believe the metallic black finish was available for every production run of the P-42s.

I never had noticed before those differences on controls arrangement between earlier and more recent P-42s, but you are right.

For example those light grey P-42s produced in Korea (Cort factory) did have that toggle switch located almost between the two knobs and a rather small controls cavity cover, quite similar to those found on the Ibanez RG3x0 series guitars, also do have black HB frames;
While at least the more recent Indonesian produced P-42s do have the toggle switch way below the knobs zone so a much larger, roughly trapezoidal controls cavity cover, also pickups are direct-mounted to the guitar's body.

I hope this helps a little further.
Cheers, JPB
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:14:36 PM by ParkerP »