Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Randall MTS Series Amps  (Read 12460 times)

Offline Musicman2000

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 07:22:07 AM »
I confess, I'm gassing for the RT 2-50 poweramp. [:p]
The combined features (separate 2 chl 6l6/EL34/KT88 or other, midi programmable, bias adjustable, make this amp IMHO a serious contender in the rack market.
Like most others, finding one to tone test with before dropping any serious cabbage is my hesitence. But, I doubt for long.

Paul

Parker Trans green Nitefly flame top, Parker Trans Green Classic, Mesa Triaxis, TC G Major, Peavey Classic 50/50, Mesa 4x12, Twin Genz Benz G Flex 2x12's.
Paul

Trans green Nitefly Mojo Flame, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha DXR10, Genz Benz Shen60, G-Flex 2x12 w/Black Shadow's

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline daynwarren

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 12:53:00 PM »
I still find the RM4/RT2/50 setup desirable but less so the more time I spend with my RM20B. It is 15watts, Celestion Greenback, lightweight, and even has a Boost function (can be set as clean boost or gain). The portability and sweet tone at reasonable volume make this amp all I need. If I was to step up in amps I would probably just buy another RM20B with a different module and an A/B/Y box!

Parker Fly Mojo, Randall RM20B Top Boost, Pod XTL

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline sfw

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 04:59:04 PM »
Richter Attenuator. Founds lots of google about what it was, but not as a separate component? I'm assuming as a separate this would go between the head and cab? In loop somewhere? I saw something from Motherload? Very interested in such a thing to keep the windows secure in my house :)

On a separate note, Anyone's thoughts about matching cabs with an RT2/50 setup? GenzBenz are nice local guys, but what? Checked out earcandy.com most cool with eminence speakers (made in KY), Other thoughts?

Or is this yet another thing I just need to drag stuff around and listen too. Hard to do with custom work, but... Thanks again for the help in advance.

- Scott

PM10; PM20; P-38
Franken-Fenders
Mackie SRM350 (piezo & modeller killer)
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (still needs Cabs ):
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline sfw

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »
Ahhh, found it doing better forum searching. Ultimate Attenuator. http://www.ultimateattenuator.com/purchase.html# Little pricey but I get the need and concept.

Alex, did you use the plexi/higain option? I'm thinking with a Randall RM4 with a Plexi and/or HighGain that might make sense. Are you using this with your Marshalls?

- Scott

PM10; PM20; P-38
Franken-Fenders
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 08:46:45 PM by sfw »
- Scott

Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline 908ssp

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 11:04:09 PM »
I have bought a Weber Mass, Weber Load Dump, Alessandro, Ultimate, I built a couple, and I tried a THD. None of these sounded as good as the Richter. It is available from Motherload. It is a stand alone unit and it goes between the amp and the cab. And it sounds like it isn't there. It just makes your amp quieter. I am selling my Maven Peal and the matching cab because the Richter makes it possible to get the best Plexi tones from a Plexi without blowing out the windows.

I know this is way over the top review I just want to save some people the expense I went through. I have a 50 watt Weber load dump for sale if you're interested. [^]

Alex
2005 Parker Mojo
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Fly Bass
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
1968 Marshall JMP50
1982 Boogie MKIIC+
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:05:24 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline sfw

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »
Thanks for the time savings Alex. For all others see http://www.motherloadusa.com or http://www.motherload.co.uk

- Scott

PM10; PM20; P-38
Franken-Fenders
- Scott

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline bno

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I am selling my Maven Peal ...
HFS!! [:0] That's quite an endorsement.  'nuff said..
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline dav2321

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »
Question for you guys with the Rm20, can you get good distortion sounds at low volumes? I had a 60w I used with a hotplate but it was still too loud. I'm looking at the Randall and a Cornford Carrera (6w). Thanks.

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2006, 03:13:49 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by dav2321

Question for you guys with the Rm20, can you get good distortion sounds at low volumes? I had a 60w I used with a hotplate but it was still too loud. I'm looking at the Randall and a Cornford Carrera (6w). Thanks.

I'm rather shocked that I have missed this topic! I am one of the few "lucky" dealers that work with the MTS line everyday. I wish it were on every street corner. But, like Parker USA, I'm afraid it would lose a little esteem ie: FENDER [}:)] It's simply brilliant what Bruce Egnator & Doug Reynolds have accomplished with this. You can achieve authentic tones without owning 10 amps. It's truly everything it's supposed to be. It's not just the latest fad. This will actually be copied in the future. This is the original, folks. Mark my words. I'm still awaiting my first complaint on these [;)]
   As for the RM20, I really view it for recording purpases mainly. You record your guitar tracks one at a time. There's no need for 2-3 switchable channels. Plug in your chosen clean MOD, set it to your desired tone, put your cans on, switch the amp to silent/record mode & off you go. Add your rhythm then your lead. The Greenback has a great sound as most of you know. It's all the things you guys have described, lightweight, affordable & portable etc. However, I really don't see it being a gigging amp. They make 2 and 3 mod combos and stacks for that. Aside from those is the rack mountable 4 MOD unit.
   Even if it's eBay, I would highly recommend that you all try these out. You won't be disapointed. It's getting your hands on it to try it that's the biggest problem. I wish I could FLY you all down to Atlanta to give it a test drive but, it would get kinda tight in there! [:D]
   YES, you can achieve maximum distortion at very low volumes. Just set the MOD's independent GAIN & LEVEL where you want it and lower the amp's MASTER. You won't blow the windows out... You'll blow the carpet fiber's away!!! It's how I keep my rugs clean when the baby is sleeping [:o)]

www.USCustomShop.com "coming soon"
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline daynwarren

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 10:49:29 AM »
dav2321,

I find that I do not get a really heavy distortion with my rm20b but I am also using a Top Boost module which is not high gain. I am more of a clean/light bluesy overdrive player so the Top Boost module might have to be modded to have less gain. I just simply love that clean chimey sound!

I imagine you could achieve the higher gain sounds at low volume with a different module like the XTC, SL+, or Rectifier or something but non of the those are "my" sounds.

Overall I am very pleased with this amp. I do think it works well for small gigs and can even be mic'd for medium ones. I never play huge concert halls or stadiums so I have no use for the 100 watt 3 module or rac 4 modules set-ups other than the diversity of tones might be nice.

If you are interested in a small tube amp for recording dirty sounds try the Dr. Z mini or the Bad Cat mini Cat. If you want something even smaller try one of the Little Lanilei amps by Songworks or the Zvex Nano head.

Hope that helps!

Parker Fly Mojo
Line 6 Echo Pro
Randall RM20B Top Boost
Behringer ACX1000

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline dav2321

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 02:44:45 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline daynwarren

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
I wanted to follow up about my Randall RM20B. Last night I had a friend help me modify the Top Boost preamp module. The difference was instantly noticeable and sounded incredible.

The Stock Top Boost module is designed to be like a High Gain Vox Top Boost. It ends up sounds somewhat fizzly with too much preamp gain, and by the time you crank it up to get the power tubes singing and the speaker moving it was a shrill mess (to my ears and especially with a Fly which is bright anyway). The mod involved cutting out 2 capacitors completely, putting a new resistor where there wasn't one, and replacing another resistor with a different value. Took about 20-30 minutes to take it all apart, de-solder, solder, and put it back together.

A little time and about $.25 of parts later I have a whole new amp! I took it to my studio right away and played for about 3 hours! SO MUCH MORE articulation, stays nice and clean until I want to push the volume and get power tube and speaker distortion, and I can dial in the amount of preamp distortion that I want. The mods basically made it cleaner, and more traditional Vox sounding.

If you own a Top Boost module and are not entirely pleased with the sound then DO THESE MODS! Go the www.grailtone.com and you will see how to do them.

*Mojo->Dr. Z Mini Z
*Deluxe single 2 (lipstick tube pickups!)->Peavey Valverb->Line 6 Echo Pro->Randall RM20B Top Boost

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline sfw

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »
Hey dav,

If you're really looking for heavy and modifiable distortion sounds, you should try out the 1086 module. WOW!!! It is great. You can dial in a LOT of different distortion sounds. I think you'll find one to your liking.

- Scott

P6 Black (on its way)
PM10; PM20;
Franken-Fenders
Mackie SRM350
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (1086, Clean, TopBoost)
Genz-Benz G-Flex 212
- Scott

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline daynwarren

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
Is the 1086 more modern gain sounds? I am more attractd to the mid-gain traditional type overdrive distortion.

How do you like your Top Boost Module? Mine is thru el84's in the RM20B...do you run yours with the el34's or 6l6's? Have you modified it or is it stock?

*Mojo->Dr. Z Mini Z
*Deluxe single 2 (lipstick tube pickups!)->Peavey Valverb->Line 6 Echo Pro->Randall RM20B Top Boost

Randall MTS Series Amps

Offline sfw

Randall MTS Series Amps
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2006, 04:52:08 PM »
The 1086 is more modern gain, however, you really get so much adjustment with it, you can get a lot of different sounds, so it is a little hard to classify it as "only" modern sounds. I love the Top Boost. I play with it a LOT, through both the 6l6 and el34 for different sounds. I think I like it best through the el34, but preference is just that, personal.

I have not done any mods to the modules yet, as I've been enjoying the sounds so far. I'm sure I'll get around to it, but don't really know where to learn of them. I did but in some new tubes in the Clean Module, some NOS Tesla tubs from a really cool tube site. Sounds a little warmer than the stock tubes, but again, its a preference. Mike knows his stuff at www.kcanostubes.com

- Scott

P6 Black (on its way)
PM10; PM20;
Franken-Fenders
Mackie SRM350
Randall RM4,RT2/50 (1086, Clean, TopBoost)
Genz-Benz G-Flex 212
- Scott