Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recommend online guitar instruction  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Erik Magrini

• http://tarekith.com
Recommend online guitar instruction
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:50:16 PM »
So, here's the deal.  I'm a self-taught guitar player, been doing it for over 20 years, though admittedly very sporadically the last 10 or so.  I only ever took one semester of lessons as an easy college credit, and the instructor, while nice, was always trying to get me to learn heavy metal or classic rock songs as a way to learn techniques.  It really just put me off lessons after that.

Recently I got a new guitar (DF824) so I've been playing a lot more regularly and enjoying it.  But like a lot of guitarists, I find myself reverting to the same licks and techniques, and I'd really like to put some more time into improving my playing in general.  A lot of people have said check YouTube, but there's SOOO much stuff there (and most of it crappy or too rock oriented) than I feel like it's been impossible to find what I'm really looking for.

I know music theory, I know basic scales and chords, I can read tab and most sheet music (though not sight read) already.

I really want to learn new techniques, even if they are fancy shredder tricks like pinch harmonics or hammer on tapping.  I'm more a solo melody player than a rhythm guitarist, but not against learning more about that either.  I'd LOVE to be able to play faster than I can now, really learn how to work my way across the neck more fluidly and not feel like I'm always moving to different "positions" on the fretboard.

What I don't want is having to learn other people's songs as a way to learn these things however.  I don't know, maybe that's just totally unrealistic, I don't know.

Anyone have any suggestions for online videos or courses that they personally can vouch for?  Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »
Truefire.com is one of the best.  I love it.  It may cost more than some, but I believe you get what you pay for.  At one time, the had a "new members get a $10 credit" thing going on.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Gretsch 5129, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Erik Magrini

• http://tarekith.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
Thanks, had a few people recommend that now, looks good!

Offline simonlock

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 02:11:41 PM »
Guitar workshop has an online lesson library that's huge. Check out the demo and semi-register and they'll beg you to join with 80% off in no time. From classical blues jazz and metal it's all there.

You might also want to take online lessons with one of the masters. Greg Howe, a fusion giant, can take you anywhere you could want to go.

Offline simonlock

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
Oh and of you want to learn to move around more fluidly take some advice from Jason  Becker, he used to play ultra-slow with NO tension for an hour before he did anything!  It trains your muscle memory and gives your ultra-slow brain a chance to put new ideas to work without gimping up your hand's movements.

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
If I was going to do anything via telecommute, it would probably be either Tom Hess or Jamie Andreas.  

I've always been of the opinion that you're never too old or too good to learn something new.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »
Dave Martone is giving Skype lessons now as well. he's a freak nasty guitar player on the Fly.

Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Single Cut
Parker Fly Deluxe
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
A few pedals...
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...