Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P36 Weight & Specs  (Read 2082 times)

Offline xroller

P36 Weight & Specs
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:00:52 AM »
Hi ,

I bought a new P36 yesterday. On paper this guitar seems awesome.
In real life the story turned out different for me.

I have a Korean Model (as I understand this means I have to make some small modifications on the tail bridge pickup to make it fit the body) I will verify this.

My real concern is the weight of the guitar : The internet and the Parker catalogs claim about 7lbs. When I mesured this I noted that the acual weight was 12.2 lbs.
What does this mean ? Is this guitat bad because of the weight or is this guitar just better because of the weight?

The quitar was not set up at all (strings about 0.2inches away from the frets at fret 12, pickups buried so deep in the guitar that you can hardly hear them when comparing the sound with my other guitars)

I contacted Parker Support but they told me they do not make the guitar anymore, I should ask my money back to the shop who sold it to me if I have any concerns.

I can fix the setup, intonation and Pick-up issues. I cannot fix the weight however.

How would this extra weight affect the tone and sustain of the guitar ? (I have no experience at all with Northern Ash).

Please let me know your opinions.

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline sybersitizen

P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:13:48 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by xroller

When I mesured this I noted that the acual weight was 12.2 lbs.
What does this mean ?

Lead inserts? ;)

Sorry I can't really help, but that is one heavy guitar.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline xroller

P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »
Thanks for your reply, it kinda made me think of something else.
I just measured the weight of the Guitar again, now using the kitchen-scale instead of the new bathroom-scale .

Parker P-36 (ash body) : 3,4 KG (7,5lbs)
Squier Affinity Tele (alder body) : 3,5 KG
Ibanez AXS42 (mahony body) : 3,25 KG

It looks like I have to buy a new bathroom-scale :D
I will try a 3th scale asap but a friend of mine just weighted his strat-copy at 3,5Kg and he is sure that my P36 is lighter.
So I think we can safely assume that my kitchen-scale is more accurate then my bathroom-scale :)

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
    • http://www.DIYguitarist.com
P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
7.5 pounds sounds about right for a P36

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline Albi

P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
yes, they should weigh around 7 lbs. P series and Niteflys don't have a contoured body, hence the additional weight - but this is not a sign of a bad guitar

"if you play only the music you like, you're missing half the fun"

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
    • http://www.DIYguitarist.com
P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 03:28:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Albi

yes, they should weigh around 7 lbs. P series and Niteflys don't have a contoured body, hence the additional weight - but this is not a sign of a bad guitar

My Nitefly Mojo is about 6-3/4 pounds. It has a mahagony body and neck and is not sculpted like my Fly Deluxe is.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline Scanman413

P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 08:17:51 AM »
I used to own a P-36. Sweet guitar, and it was "labeled" at around 6.5 lbs.
2001 Fly Classic
2009 NiteFly Mojo
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6
Zager ZAD50CE Acoustic/Electric

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline RichardJ

P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:18:53 AM »
I started out with a Korean P36, so impressed was I that I hunted down a Southern Nitefly.  Apart from the obvious differences in body wood and neck construction they really aren't far apart in tone.  Great guitars.
Southern Nitefly
Nitefly SA
PRS CE22
A Few Strats
Koch Twintone II
Fender Pro Junior

P36 Weight & Specs

Offline straggler13

• http://www.youtube.com/user/13STRAGGLER?ob=0&feature=results_main
P36 Weight & Specs
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:47:12 AM »
Sorry man, but I think you were had. I bought a ( what was claimed to be ) Parker P?? BASS. from 1stdeal.com on EBAY. I should not have but my Schecter is far too heavy for me, and my Parker Fly Deluxe 6 string weighs in at just over 5 pounds. So I also read that Parker PB 51 basses are about 7#s.
The creeps I bought it from at 1stdeal.com gave me major hassles when I tried to return it. They were vague about the weight when I asked before I bought and they referred me to Amazon's site for details on the PB 51. I paid them ~ $1500.00 .
Well, when I got it, it was marked on the headstock with "Parker NORACT sn: 08011048" and was made in Indonesia. And it weighed about 12 pounds. When I posted to get it returned they failed to send a RMA # so I had to post them again. I sent it off after they pretended like I should have known that was 12 pounds!- even though the Amazon site said ~ 7 pounds.
After waiting more than a month for the credit back to my card, I posted them again: " Sir, according to UPS this item was shipped to you : Ground; on 7-15-11; tracking number 1z7r27714296101170. And according to their records as related to me by “Lou”, the UPS store manager, the “Parker” package, your RMA # 90259, was received and signed for by a one “Jeffrey” as your receiving agent at 1:23 PM (PST), and noted by the UPS driver as “end of day” delivery".
 and they told me that they never got it. So luckily I got them on a conference a call with the UPS manager, and they said bassically " Oh, well you didn't mark on the box that it was the Parker guitar that you were returning".! EVEN though their RMA # was on the box!
I did yell a bit that I would be happy to sue them as I am a retired angry old man... but they said they would finally return my money. They did. But they told me that I should have understood their internal procedure better as to what "Jefffrey" needs to do his job! I have had few expeiences with a vendor that were more enraging. My lesson learned is :  Never buy a guitar without seeing it and playing it first.  It cost me about $65 to mail it back, even though their site (1stdeal.com) says they pay for return post. They didn't offer and I was frankly tired of dealing with them.
I have bought several guitars since then, and all were played by me before I bought them.
Send it back, if you can! BTW If yours was not from Korea, I would have suspected that it was the one I returned. But I think now that there is some kind of fake Parker 5 string base being made by pirates in the Indian Ocean or the Spanish Main - somewhere off the coast of Tortuga , Arrrrgh!.
PS  I am still on the look out for a nice LIGHT REAL Parker bass. If anyone knows of one, let me know. I will fly anywhere in the USA to check it out ... and my Schecter 5 Diamond is still available.
Your humble servant,
Greg