Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active to Passive HB's on a Fly now working  (Read 33249 times)

Offline mountaindewaddict

Active to Passive HB's on a Fly now working
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 12:49:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I just grabbed it a while back w/out really looking at it.  I have a file on my computer where I collect all Parker-related stuff whether it applies to my gear or not.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Gretsch 5129, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Parkerman

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2012, 02:14:19 PM »
Ooooooops [:(][:(][:(] never mind, I am sure someone will reverse engineer it soon....... [;)]
Don't wait for it to happen !

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Parkerman

Ooooooops [:(][:(][:(] never mind, I am sure someone will reverse engineer it soon....... [;)]

I'm still waiting for someone to do that. No luck so far.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
I would imagine if you were willing to send your Refined Fly to Parker to get the new Ghost system, you could specify that you wanted a slider switch on the backplate so the mags can either bypass the preamp or run through it.  

I can't imagine needing to change that mid-song, so it makes the most sense (to me) to embed that switch in the backplate.  Plus, the guitar still looks stock.

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Gretsch 5129, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Tectonix

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

I can't imagine needing to change that mid-song, so it makes the most sense (to me) to embed that switch in the backplate.  Plus, the guitar still looks stock.

Casey

I agree that it would be the optimum spot in a perfect set-up.[^]

I started out in life with nothing and still have most of it left!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:21:37 PM by Tectonix »
I started out in life with nothing and still have most of it left!

Offline Parkerman

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »
OK, OK, OK guys I get the drift buy the slide switches, well I have placed my bid so please so not go and bid over it, as I said I will mail out to you for the cost of shipping from the UK to the US, I could have asked David Cameron to pop them in his pockets when he went on his little flight on Air Force 1 [:D].........oh David Cameron is our PM BTW[V]

PMan

Offline Parkerman

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 05:47:49 AM »
Guys I have the 4 pole MIni-Toggle switches [:)] I only ordered 2 of these and may find time tonight to do the Passive/Active changeover mods just as proof of concept.........here's hoping [;)]

PMan

Offline billy

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2012, 07:29:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mountaindewaddict

Parkerman, I've been thinking about bypassing the preamp for the mags on my 2007 refined Deluxe, so if you win, put me down for one of those switches.  Thanks.

Casey

Casey

God Bless!

I don't have a refined fly either, and forget the specifics, but is there some reason Alex's diagram wouldn't work for you?

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4865

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious that makes it not relevant.

Btw, I think there's a way to add stereo/mono without too much effort on both bypassed mag versions.  Will think a little more on it when I do the mod here...
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »
Just to clarify:

One of the main differences between the pre-refined Fly and the refined Fly which uses the Fishman "PowerChip" is how the stereo/mono switch works. On the pre-refined Fly, it's a manual physical switch you have to activate yourself. On the refined Fly, the PowerChip uses an IC chip to automatically switch to mono or stereo depending on what type of cord you plug into the jack.

The other difference is that on the refined Fly, there is no tone control for the piezo pickups. So if you want one in a pre-refined Fly that you stuck a PowerChip in, you'll have to find a way to add a tone control (which would make use of the forth unused hole in the guitar).

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Offline billy

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »
yeah, thanks for the clarification Paul.  

My understanding is that Alex's mod will be mono, so if you wanted a switch, you could probably do that.  

He also mentions how to add a tone control to piezos a little further down.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2012, 09:17:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by billy

yeah, thanks for the clarification Paul.  

My understanding is that Alex's mod will be mono, so if you wanted a switch, you could probably do that.  

My understanding of that diagram is that it converts it to full time stereo mode and completely bypasses the "smart switch" IC chip.

EDIT: So yeah, I guess you could add a summing switch if you wanted to.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:23:34 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Parkerman

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »
Hi Billy

I have checked out the thread that you posted the link too and there is no schematic of the pre-amp there, it is only the wiring flow chart, so of little use sadly, I need the pre-amp schematic for a refined if I am to offer the same mod.

The Mono Mode will always be an issue to mix in the active Piezo and the Passive HB's without going into a summing amp stage and then this makes the HB's active again. With both the HB's and Piezo being active it is not a problem because the active treated pup ouputs will both go to a common summing amp stage as in the original circuit where OP1 is the summing amp section where the 2 signals are combined.

The reason it mixes OK in the stereo mode is simply because each output is kept isolated from the other and have their own input channel on a valve amplifier, if we shorted the Active Piezo and Passive HB outputs togehter as it effectively does in the mono mode then the you would not hear the HB's as indeed is the case in this instance.

Offline billy

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 09:40:18 AM »
Thanks guys- totally forgot about the summing thing, agree.

As for doing the same mod on the refined pcb, I think in the refined case, you don't actually need to since you can just swap around some wires.  

Since you don't have many wires on the pre-ref, you're kind of forced into doing it on the pcb.
Billy

Offline Parkerman

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »
Hi Guys.......good news it all works as expected [:D] the active mode for both Piezo and HB's works exactly as original, and the Passive HB's are exactly as it was when I removed the 4 components, I have now cut the tracks and wired the 4 pole Mini-Toggle switch in place.

There is one major issue as far as I am concerned and that is when switching fromt Passive HB's to Active HB's, it does make a thump through your prized Celestions [:(!]

The difference between active HB's and Passive HB's is very noticable IMHO, that zing thing (active) and warmth (passive) but it is quite late here in the UK and I can't get the overdrive into #11 to check out the real sound character differences, so will check this tomorrow.

Paul M any thoughts on this switch changeover thump, and a possible solution please ???

That's it for tonight guys I am hitting the sack [|)]

PMan

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2012, 08:34:02 PM »
Maybe you could try using a 1M pulldown resistor (to ground) on the output to minimize the pop, kind of like is commonly done on a DIY stompbox. I'm not sure there is a solution for the problem, but that is the first thing I would try.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__