Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Considering a used P-38... what should I know?  (Read 20217 times)

Offline ironfistx

Considering a used P-38... what should I know?
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
Three more questions:

1) I noticed the saddles, especially on the E and A strings, are kinda rusted.  Also, the hole for the Allen wrench on the E saddle on the inside seems like someone tried to force too big of an Allen wrench in there; it's a little "stretched" if that makes sense.  Is it possible to get a replacement?  Basically everything that is seen here:

Or at least the saddles/adjustment screws separately?

I will try to get a picture of the bridge on the actual guitar next time I go to the store so you guys can tell me if it looks bad or if it's ok.

2) Where is the serial number usually?  On the back of the headstock?  I didn't see one, although there appeared to be a little adhesive where a serial number sticker used to be.

edit - is this what I need?
http://www.fishman.com/products/view/vs-50p-powerbridge-pickup

$279, holy cow.  That's like how much the used guitars are selling for.

3) Is this normal?  When the magnetic coils are selected, changing the pickups with the selector switch works as expected (singles sound different from the humbucker, etc.).  But when it's in piezo mode, there is no change in sound regardless of how the pickup selector is set.  The piezo pickup is actually in the bridge itself, right?  So the pickup selector doesn't change anything when in piezo mode?  Piezo mode is also quieter.  Is that normal, because the battery is dying, or because something is wrong with it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:19:48 AM by ironfistx »

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
That looks like the bridge you would need if you wanted to replace it. That's what they cost, and it's not that much more than a Floyd Rose floating type bridge is (which sells for around $200).

In my opinion, that serves to show you how inexpensive a P-38 is to pick up. It's always more expensive to get replacement parts than it is to buy a guitar already equipped with those parts.

You should be able to get a couple of replacement screws for the saddle, you don't need a whole new bridge.

EDIT:

You should have three modes for your mag-piezo switch: magnetic ONLY, magnetic AND piezo, and piezo ONLY. If it's not working that way, then something is miswired or the switch is bad. The magnetic pickups switch will do nothing when you are in piezo only mode. It will do something when you are in blended mode.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:23:44 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline ironfistx

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 09:54:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy
EDIT:

You should have three modes for your mag-piezo switch: magnetic ONLY, magnetic AND piezo, and piezo ONLY. If it's not working that way, then something is miswired or the switch is bad.

That's how it works, it's just about 50% quieter when in piezo only mode.

quote:
The magnetic pickups switch will do nothing when you are in piezo only mode. It will do something when you are in blended mode.

The pickup selector switch only does something when in blended mode or magnetic mode.  Ok cool it sounds like that's working correctly, then.

Are the saddles available separately?  A few of the ones on the guitar are kind of rusted (I don't think "rust" is the right word... I'll take a pic next time I go to the store and post it here) and the metal is a bit warped on one of them where it looks like someone tried to put too big of an Allen wrench in there.

I noticed it because the low E and A strings buzz a bit (unless played above the 10th or 12th fret or so) so I figured they would likely have to be raised, and when I looked at the saddles, I saw the screw hole for the one was kind of messed up.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:56:40 AM by ironfistx »

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
There's a trimpot on the Fishman PowerChip that adjusts the output level of the piezo pickups. It might just be turned down. It's real easy to adjust that to see if you can get at least equal volume to the magnetic pickups. If it were a dying battery, then the magnetic pickups should have about the same output level as the piezos (if the trimpot was adjusted correctly). Everything is routed through the PowerChip, so a dead battery means NO sound at all.

The screw hole on the bridge shouldn't be messed up. The metal on those bridges is usually a LOT harder (tempered I think) than the screws are. So the threads on the screws gets messed up but the bridge doesn't. What we don't know is if some dude tried to re-thread them for different allen screws or something. Do those two allen screws look the same as the rest or do they look like replacements?

I don't know if the saddles are sold seperately. That would be a question for Fishman. I'm sure you could probably get a couple from somewhere, but I don't know that you need to.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:15:22 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline billy

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 11:17:17 PM »
I'd probably skip this one and keep my eye on the forum "for sale" posts or eBay.  Good luck!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ironfistx

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
I went back to see it again and take some pics of the bridge to post here but they told me it sold.

I asked what it sold for and they said the asking price ($350).  I told them they got a good deal.  Haha.  Although the guy did say it "needed a setup."

Looks like I'll need to get one here or on eBay if I want a P-38 now.  Thanks for the help in this thread everyone.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
That's exactly what I thought would happen - while you were still thinking about it someone else bought it. [:D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Offline ironfistx

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
I wouldn't have bought it for what they were asking, anyway, so I'm not really upset.

Re: Considering a used P-38... what should I know?

Offline joewho

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
Hey man bought a p-38 with a stereo cable.I don't know how to plug the cable in which end in where?I have 2 amps a Line 6 and a vox and a pedal.I have the single end plugged into the pedal and the other 2 to the amps and a line out to my guitar.I don't seem to be getting the acoustic sounds.I'd like to think I'm just not operating this machine right.Please help!

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum joewho! I'd guess the single end of the stereo cable would plug into your P-38. Here's a link to the manual.
http://www.parkerguitars.com/About/manuals-a-booklets.html
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II