Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Home at last, One of a Kind Fly Project.  (Read 19968 times)

Offline simonlock

Home at last, One of a Kind Fly Project.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 09:17:04 AM »
With the way the swirl flows over the curves of the Fly's sculpted body makes it seem as if there are no edges to the guitar and therefore no fixed location to orient my perspective. It's as if the swirl is still swirling and it's not a solid guitar but a liquid approximation.

Or a mexican mushroom got in my coffee beans.

Ive been a Vai fan since '89 and even own one of the original UV77MCs but I've gotta say the swirls are pretty 2 dimensional on the RG body shape.

I'm curious how he kept the paint off the frets as it went under water. Can Alan from "Out of this Swirled" chime in?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:24:12 AM by simonlock »

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
I know Vai has had swirl guitars, but this one kind of looks like a Joe Satriani kind of paint job to me. The whole color scheme reminds me of "Surfing With The Alien".

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:29:51 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline -geisterfahrer-

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
Hi Gang,
Thank you for all the reply's and comments. I can't thank Alan, Sharon and Lisa enough for making this a reality and I'm glad i could share it with you all.
I have been a swirl fan since i first saw the 'Passion & Warfare' Album cover, and I am lucky enough to own an Autographed Jem777GMC.
So when this presented itself, It just had to happen. (Ramen for a Year!)
As far as we know this wasn't only the first and so far only complete Fly Swirl, but the only neck through body Guitar to have ever been completely swirled. (A while back i remember a heated thread over a modified NiteFly body that was swirled by Herc Fede, but that's all).
Normally a guitar body on a stick is dipped (like a toffee apple)into a vat of water. The Swirling process is pretty well documented on the web, the mechanics of it at least. There are a few vids that show some backyard efforts using testors model paint or talking about a borax water mix to improve water surface tension to allow a paint to 'float'. No one seems to really have a handle on the process save for the big 3, Darren, Herc and Alan. Darren from ATD did all the Ibanez Jem's for Vai, Herc did customs for a while then quit, and Al has refined the technique to an artful science, Just look at his website for evidence of some of the most amazing swirls ever. www.outofthisswirled.com Your not going to get an answer from any of them, it is closly guarded alchemy. Yet I'm told that it is deceptively simple, but like most cool stuff, it all about the details.
This project took a great deal of thought and trial to get a technique figured out so that a whole guitar could be done. I designed and built a couple of different rigs for Al to use to be able to support and control the guitar as it was being submerged, pushed through the paint at the correct speed and enabling him to manipulate the guitar (twist & turn it) to get the best paint coverage. (I should dig up some shots for you all to see).
The greatest hurdle was for Al to build a larger tank to be able to submerge the whole guitar and not have it hit the bottom, and have enough surface area to float enough paint to pull onto the entire length without it thinning out. (the bottom end went in first,last to be submerged was the headstock). You can see that the colors are consistent and vibrant the whole length of the body.
The rig that Al ended up using was headstock mounted which enabled full submersion, and although it was still a battle to fight the bouyancy of the guitar, enabled him to manipulate the body through the paint.
To Answer Simon's question (and i will ping Al to see if he can chime in) The edge of the neck was tough to seal and lay a fine line down, there is virtually zero tolerance, the curvature of the neck ends where the edge of the fretboard begins, with most guitars at least there is a flat portion just before the edge of the fretboard, usually where the binding or edge fret markers lie. This makes taping easy, not so with the fly. Sharon was impressed with how well Alan was able to get that right, its not easy, and to do it and then give it a bath [:0] Every surface and hole that wasn't getting paint had to be heavily masked or plugged to stop water from getting to the body, wood endgrain fibers are like straws, and will draw moisture very quickly, so sealing, masking and plugging are very important steps.
I really hope that there will be others that follow this one, but it really has been a challenge, from the tank size to the suspension method to the masking and unpredictable nature of the swirl itself, not to mention the alchemy of the whole correct paint defying gravity thing, Al could tell you some stories! Oh and someone has to be willing to take a chance with a Fly!
(I must need my head Feeling!)

But the result is just fantastic.

Honestly.... I'd do it again tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:03:31 PM by -geisterfahrer- »
*We're gonna need a bigger boat*

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
This thread is annoying!  I have opened it 12 or 14 times just to look at the pictures which are totally hypnotic!
Not OK! [;)]

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline -geisterfahrer-

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
Save one to your desktop [;)]
*We're gonna need a bigger boat*

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
Then I won't get any work done at all!

Pearl White Custom Dragonfly HSH 2010 / Voodoo Blackburst Custom S3 2011 / Ceriatone HRM amplifier / Axe FX II
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »
Wow. Terrific !

David

2001 Fly Classic -> Ibanez WD7 wah -> Digidelay -> Trainwreck clone -> 1x12 Fane cabinets
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
Duuuuuuuuude!  That's freakin' awesome! [:0] [:D] [^]

Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Gretsch 5129, Way Huge Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff...
God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline blackfly

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »
Congrats to Alan and shazrock- what an amazing piece. Far out. I agree with Patzag, HAHA
93 cedar fly deluxe [8 made I think],73 Parker fretless bass

Offline Noodler

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 11:15:04 AM »
I'm late to the party, but that is just absolutely unbelievably amazing.  I did not expect to see the entire guitar swirled.  Honestly, it almost looks like a stock Parker creation since the serial number and Fly logo are still present.  It's almost a shame to have this incredible guitar "locked away" in this thread.  Please tell me that there are pictures of this guitar in other places on the Internet.  This forum just doesn't get enough traffic to do this guitar justice.  In a way this creation could be viewed as an evangelical figure of the Parker mystique that we all know and love (IOW it could bring more people into the Parker fold, getting them interested in why a Parker is a very special guitar).

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Noodler

In a way this creation could be viewed as an evangelical figure of the Parker mystique that we all know and love (IOW it could bring more people into the Parker fold, getting them interested in why a Parker is a very special guitar).

I'm afraid that is wishful thinking as 98% of guitar players get hung up on the looks of a Fly rather than appreciating its awesome attributes. [:(]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

Offline Toonman

• http://www.sergiomucino.com
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 04:34:48 PM »
Dude, that's a KILLER looking guitar! Congrats on a fantastic job there!!

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
Stunning Fly. Truly wonderful... I really can't say I have been a swirl finish type of guy, in the past, but it looks gorgeous on a Fly, and is so well done. Great project, and incredible results. I would have thought it a bad idea, but I would have been terribly wrong! The shapes and complex curves of the Fly seem to love the swirl you got.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline Tectonix

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

I'm afraid that is wishful thinking as 98% of guitar players get hung up on the looks of a Fly rather than appreciating its awesome attributes. [:(]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__

So true, so true. I just bought my third Fly because I wanted all the tonal wood attributes (Mojo, Deluxe, Artist) in refined (1) and prere (2). I swear it was the tonal woods, but now I think I really do need a good swirl model. Man, that guitar KNOCKS ME OUT! HELP! HELP![:p][}:)][:p]

I started out in life with nothing and still have most of it left!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:00:47 PM by Tectonix »
I started out in life with nothing and still have most of it left!

Re: Home at last, One of a Kind Fly Project.

Offline resist2112

Re: Home at last, One of a Kind Fly Project.
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
That is stunning!!! I'd love to have a green version of that....
Jeff

2011 Fly Mojo "Tangerine"

76 Les Paul Goldtop, Dean Cadillac, 2 Teles, Strat, Taylor 614ce, and a few other toss arounds