Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Plug&Play Pups  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Plug&Play Pups
« on: December 15, 2005, 07:19:19 AM »
Why doesn't Parker standardize thier guitars so that every fly has the ability to "pop in" whatever pickup you want? For that matter, why hasn't the pup industry put out a standard pup connection to offer plug and play "snap in" pups? Play SD's for awhile then next day (or next set) snap in Demarzio's "on the fly" (literally). If its already here , please excuse my ignorance as I know little about electric guitars, but judging by all these comments in the forum, seems the e-guitar industry is a little behind the times..??

Fly Deluxe 2000;Gibson es 137;       AlverezYari '75; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker
A few Flys in my soup

Plug&Play Pups

Offline bno

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 09:57:06 AM »
Interesting concept.  Similar to the Randall MTS amp.  However, the Fly is so unique in its body resonance that stock from the box pups don't give a balanced tone spectrum - you have to use Parker specific custom pups, of which there are only a very small selection.  And the SD and DiMarzios are not interchangeable in the Fly - different mounting.  It wouldn't be as easy as you make it sound but this might work as an aftermarket mod for mass market guitars (P-Series?).  Put a special mounting plate in the pickup cavity, take any stock pickup and attach a tiny clip connector onto it. Bing bang boom. Change pickups on a whim.  There are of course pickup specific adjustment and set up variable issues to be addressed. Still, interesting idea.  

'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Plug&Play Pups

Offline 908ssp

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 10:25:24 AM »
Actually Bill for the most part all humbuckers follow the Gibson pattern and in most guitars except Parker it takes 20 minutes to solder and screw in new pickups. Parker and just couple others are the odd man out. I for one think I understand why Parker did it. He wanted a pickup that mounted directly to the body for better stability and vibration transfer. He is a designer and couldn't tolerate the little ears sticking off the sides and didn't want to make the Fly a half inch thicker to accommodate the legs sticking from the back of generic pickups. Designing in custom pickups was a big risk he must have considered it very carefully as it cost significantly more to do what he did. [^]

There have been a couple guitars that had true modular pickups for the most part it was a gimmick and junk. Most guitarists are not after changing their pickups just finding the right ones. [^]

EMG makes pickups with little plugs at the pickup so you can remove them and plug in replacements of course not many people like the sounds of EMGs.[;)]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 04:32:14 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Plug&Play Pups

Offline loumt123

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
i saw the plug and play pickup thing...im surprised no one has really jumped on the idea and standardized it yet.

Plug&Play Pups

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 06:36:36 PM »
you mean armstrong?!

those guitars weigh a ton and sound muddy.  i can see why their pickups never took off.  people still by them for nostalgia or gimmick or whatever.

emg's on the other hand are quite the opposite- sounding very bright and responsive.  i think to say that 'not many people like the sounds of emg' is a little overstated.  some people downright hate emg, some people love them (myself included).  but there are a lot of people who do use them, and i doubt they use them for the 'plug-and-play' feature, since you still have to loosen the strings and unscrew the pickup from its housing.

as for 'standardization,' it's very difficult to do.  we can't even decide on standard scale length, standard string spacing, standard fret profile, etc.  i'm sure i'll see a seven string fly deluxe before we have standardized plug-and-play pickups.  [:D]

Plug&Play Pups

Offline loumt123

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 06:57:57 PM »
not armstrong...i forget the company that did it. i saw it on harmony-central

Plug&Play Pups

Offline bostjan

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 07:11:14 PM »
hmm only guitars on harmony central that have 'removable pickup' are the dan armstrong and a ventura (that is a copy of the dan armstrong).  a search for 'plug and play pickup' brings up the same results.  maybe they called it something else.

what did it look like?

Plug&Play Pups

Offline loumt123

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 08:03:43 PM »
it was like a sunburst color...had three removable and switchable pickups

Plug&Play Pups

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 02:21:57 AM »
908ssp, since pickups work on a magnetic field, can you explain why they need to be securely attched for vibration transfer purposes?  not to trip you up or anything, but i have never understood this theory/explanation.  i can't quite see how pickups are affected by the guitar body's vibration.  they are at the end of the line, vbration-wise anyway, aren't they?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Plug&Play Pups

Offline bostjan

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 02:59:59 AM »
not addressed to me, but i'll add some words:

why do the pickups need to be securely attached?

they don't need to be.  but the way the pickups work, if the pickup is moving, and the string isn't, the pickup still 'sees' a moving string.

if the pickup is mounted poorly, it maybe set into harmonic oscillation (like a bouncing spring) causing some noise and/or loss of integrity of the sound.  this can happen in many ways, but it colors the sound.

now, the sound transfer also plays into things, but the scenario is more complicated, depending on the phase difference between the vibration of the pickup and the vibration of the string.  and, the effect is more of a 'coloring' of the sound than noise.

it's a matter of taste when it comes to sonic 'coloring.'  those who prefer minimal coloring may use optical transducers, or even piezos.  floating pickups, when mounted propperly, may also reduce the coloration, but i don't think it makes as big a difference magnetically as it does acoustically by freeing the top to resonate at it will due to damping.

Plug&Play Pups

Offline bostjan

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 03:02:49 AM »
p.s.

try shouting into your pickup- you will hear a sound coming from the amp.  try it with magnetics and with piezos and listen to the difference.  it's two different mechanisms at work.  if you have a guitar with pickup rings, try it on that one and see if you can tell the difference.

Plug&Play Pups

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 07:43:11 AM »
that's a bit clearer - thanks.  is the shouting thing siply because the voice is making the strings vibrate slightly?
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Plug&Play Pups

Offline 908ssp

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2005, 09:09:06 AM »
Yea what bostjan said [:D]

It is a subtle difference at best but K.Parker wasn't the only one to claim it made a difference. EVH direct mounted his humbucker in the first monster strat and was given credit for the whole monster strat phenomenon that followed.

Some jazz big box guitars have their magnetic pickups floating. They are mounted to the pick guard hung in the air so they are as removed from the body as possible.

I think the easiest way to picture it is just to have the pickup itself fixed rigidly to the body allows all and any string movement to be relative to a fixed pickup and not one that might moving. As it is the movement of the string in the magnetic field which causes the change in the flow of electrons though the pickup. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Plug&Play Pups

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2005, 05:15:53 PM »
Ok fine. And thanks for another education (you guys rock)[:)]. BUT why not make the pick up "bay" or "receptacle" or what ever you call it on the body/bridge/neck a standard size (even if its just a standard size hole in the wood) and the pickup "housing" a standard size (even if its bigger or smaller than the pup needs to be) and the holes through the housing standard width apart for standard bolts or snap connection (consumer preference)....AND... all the wires should use the same sauderless plug/snap connections??? (worry about the lead soder fumes slowing down Alex's cerebellar function and riff reflexes[:o)])..Sounds like AXEL the Parker fix-it man basically mods Parkers so he can deal with other brands. Parker and the whole industry should get this done. What made PC's take off ? Yeah, I know it was the hot naked girl sites. But what Helped catapolt the pc over the apple? I can buy any brand monitor and plug it into my keyboard, into any brand mouse and into any brand computer and they all work great--no tools-no fear something won't fit. Nothing to soder.  Of course Parker pups will always have to be special instead of stock but at least you would be able to buy the "Parker version" of SD or Dimarzio without having to cut into your guitar. I am sure string manufacturors went through the same thing at some point. Now they have standardized strings and I know the 9's by snake eye joe will fit the set up for my guitar the same as the nines from Parker or anyone else. And the chord at the end of my Parker plugs into every Amp. You could argue that a fatter chord and plug transmit sound infantessably better that the standard one but at some point they got together and all said lets make it this size cause its good enough and we need to be sure they all fit the same so people can choose the sound they want. All I am saying is that it is time for guitar industry to do the same regarding pup mounts. And now I know not to record while I'm having an MRI...[:o)]

Fly Deluxe 2000;Gibson es 137;       AlverezYari '75; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker
A few Flys in my soup

Plug&Play Pups

Offline 908ssp

Plug&Play Pups
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »
Bill they are standard in most guitars they do interchange. Humbuckers do everything you want except plug in they have to be soldered and that isn't a big deal and it's way more reliable then plugs. There are other pickups single coils and P size singles and odd balls like Diarmonds but those account for as little as Apple. On a Gibson or super strat there are hundreds of pickups that drop in for all intense and purposes.

By the way plug-n-play means nothing in terms of the computer buying public. What made computers grow so fast was Windows. One day Windows will get the credit they deserve. Anybody could sit in front of any computer and they all work the same. Without windows every computer might have run differently. That would have slowed the adaption of computers significantly.

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
Alex