Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PA22  (Read 7830 times)

Offline PTC Bernie

PA22
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:39:43 PM »
I just picked up a PA22 and am very impressed with it.  The tone and playability are excellent and it looks gorgeous!  

It's a shame that Parker stopped making acoustics.

Bernie
2008 Parker PA22
1978 Guild D-25m
1995 Breedlove SJ25W
1968 Aria 6815 12 String
Luna Dragonfly

Bernie

PA22

Offline Noodler

PA22
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:51:12 PM »
The problem with the Parker acoustics and archtops was that they didn't really "follow" the Parker design and engineering principles when developing the instruments.  They lack the features that the Parker faithful would want to see on a "real" Parker instrument.

PA22

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
PA22
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Noodler

The problem with the Parker acoustics and archtops was that they didn't really "follow" the Parker design and engineering principles when developing the instruments.

Those acoustics kinda looked like a Parker design, but otherwise they don't seem like anything special at all. I'm sure they are just like any other conventional acoustic construction-wise.

This is what Ken Parker is building these days - brilliant design I might add.  http://kenparkerarchtops.com/

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

PA22

Offline PTC Bernie

PA22
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »
Paul/Noodler, Points taken, all I was saying was that is has a great sound and would easily compete with some of the big names costing much more.  I'm very pleased with my new acquisition.  

Bernie
2008 Parker PA22
1978 Guild D-25m
1995 Breedlove SJ25W
1968 Aria 6815 12 String
Luna Dragonfly

Bernie

PA22

Offline sybersitizen

PA22
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:57:09 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by PTC Bernie

It's a shame that Parker stopped making acoustics.

The 2007-2009 catalogs were chock-full of dozens of models including non-Fly solid bodies, acoustics, and basses - maybe too many models. I could be mistaken, but I believe a lot of those were Asian imports, and not really connected with the US factory. Within a couple of years (coincidentally in sync with the world financial collapse and recession) the product lines were cut back dramatically, like amputating limbs to save the patient. The Parker operation is far leaner as a result today, but still alive, and the catalog is much smaller.

quote:
I'm very pleased with my new acquisition.

Good to know. I'm not sure we have many bona fide acoustic experts here - the talk is typically electro-centric.

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

PA22

Offline Paul Marossy

PA22
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »
Really all that matters is that you like it. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Re: PA22

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:25 AM »
They are nice guitars, I have a p10e, the main reason they didn't fly... wait for it....they cost too much for a freakin import. That being said if I had all my acoustics out I would pick this one up to play 9 times out of 10.

Everyone who has played it loves it, except two Taylor guys. But these guys also swear that Taylor electrics were the wave of the future and the best electric guitars ever!

I think if the economy gets better we might see a washburn/parker thing. But I think the design guys did a fair amount of work to make these look Parker. What we forum guys have to remember is Ken is long and gone doing his own thing. Parkers aren't even Parkers anymore. What Ken is doing these days is amazing, but what Parker the company is doing is nice as well.

Hope you enjoy playing your guitar more and more.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
Well said.
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 09:03:26 AM »
They are nice guitars, I have a p10e, the main reason they didn't fly... wait for it....they cost too much for a freakin import. That being said if I had all my acoustics out I would pick this one up to play 9 times out of 10.

Is that why they were dropped? I remember they came and went very quickly. Maybe it was a money loser for Parker and they just quietly bowed out of the acoustic guitar market.

I think the design guys did a fair amount of work to make these look Parker. What we forum guys have to remember is Ken is long and gone doing his own thing. Parkers aren't even Parkers anymore. What Ken is doing these days is amazing, but what Parker the company is doing is nice as well.

I know, Ken Parker is long gone. But I can't help thinking of when CBS bought Fender and then they put out all these godawful looking guitars and introduced a line of big time failure solid state amps. Yeah, they had a Fender label on them, but they were not exactly something that Leo Fender would have ever approved of. Those kinds of boneheaded moves nearly bankrupted the company. I'm not saying Washburn is the same, just that for me personally, I have a hard time with when an owner sells a company and they start doing things completely out of character with the original owner's vision/philosophy. USMC/Washburn certainly has made much better moves than CBS did when it bought out Fender!  :o

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »
Paul, as to why they were dropped: on the first Factory Tour, I had the chance to play several Parker acoustics, and all but one of them just couldn't compete tonally with my "Made in Japan" Takamine.  There was a certain "ballzy-ness" that was lacking.  The top of the line, however, had it in spades.  So, it could have been a wood combination thing.  The top brass at Parker / USM had me play several and the feeling in the room was palpable: we're dropping these.  Maybe Lawrence or Alex could weigh in here - they were there. 
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »
Sounds like there was just a lot of things going against that acoustic guitar line. Some people like tinny sounding acoustics though. I don't however.

It cracks me up when I use the piezos on my Fly - people say it "sounds like a Taylor" or "better than a real acoustic does". I have no need for an acoustic.  ;D

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
I think if you do a lot of fingerpicking, or single note stuff, you need that high-end sparkle.  But I'm primarily a rhythm player (strumming big, open chords), so all but a few acoustic guitars have that "secret sauce" of good note definition, strong and articulate bass, vocal midrange, and crystalline highs.  My 15 year old Takamine just has it.  Most of the Parker's I played didn't.  But, PTC Bernie must have gotten a good one.
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
Yeah, those older Takamines have a really great sound. I have a friend thtat has one, it sounds very nice thru the PA system.