Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: parker fly deluxe bridge replacement problems  (Read 8212 times)

Offline mrpenguin354

parker fly deluxe bridge replacement problems
« on: June 14, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »
Hi guys, hopefully someone on here can make some suggestions for me; I've already contact customer support but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I recently had to replace the tremolo on my '98 deluxe, so I ordered two off a seller from eBay. The new bridges will fit in fine, the problem is the bearings on the side of the bridge (the ones that go into the mounting posts) are a hair larger than the bearings on the old bridge. I've tried wiggling out the bearings gently, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before I potentially wreck three bridges. Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Or, does anyone have any bridge posts for sale?

I appreciate any suggestions!

Re: parker fly deluxe bridge replacement problems

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:13:02 AM »
Larger in what way? Can you measure them? Bearings are made in precise sizes they don't just vary.

More info including links to new bearings.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=8666.0

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline mrpenguin354

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:16:23 PM »
Thank you for the link; I was hoping it wouldn't come down to that but it looks like I might have found my project for the weekend.

The "larger" bearing on the new bridge measures 1cm in diameter, where as the original bearings are, get this, .9cm, a tenth of a difference. I don't know why Parker would have made such a minute change...but it really is an inconvenience.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »
Interesting and yes unfortunate. The original bearing are actually a fraction size 3/8 of an inch or .375". 10mm or 1cm is .395" so they are not interchangeable. You need to search out a source Applied Bearing, Bearing Services and number of sources might have it. Luckily they wont be as expensive as the shipping if you can't find a local source.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:53 AM »
The "larger" bearing on the new bridge measures 1cm in diameter, where as the original bearings are, get this, .9cm, a tenth of a difference. I don't know why Parker would have made such a minute change...but it really is an inconvenience.

Probably has to do with them sourcing cheaper, or maybe more readily available bearings.

Offline mrpenguin354

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm weighing two options now, either putting in the elbow grease and swapping out the bearings or having the trem cavity filled and replaced wit a more traditional bridge (I play in fixed mode anyways). Either has it's benefits; it's such a strange feeling trying to decide what's best for your guitar, like it's a person or something.

Thanks for all the support; I suppose I'll be back when I decide what to do.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Why did you feel the need to replace the original bridge system?
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:50:35 AM »
Why did you feel the need to replace the original bridge system?

+1

Offline mrpenguin354

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
Haha, somehow I thought that comment would receive some interest. By the by, I successfully managed to swap the bearings on the bridges, only destroying one set of larger bearings, but my guitar is up and running!

So, bear with my rambling here, why would I want to replace the trem system on a Parker? I agree, at first glance, the trem system is really a marvelous design; I love the use of the flat spring and the tension wheel my pre-refined Fly has, but I've always been a fixed bridge player. I know blocking the trem achieves the "fixed" affect, but in terms of resonance and tone, the mechanics at work in a fixed vs "floating" bridge are a little different. Personally, I've been out of the guitar technology game for about a decade or so, but I was really intrigued by two concepts I've come across: 1. the EBMM BFR series and 2. the Schaller Hannes bridge.

I guess without going into too much detail, I was curious to see how both of these would affect my Parker. I wondered how filling in the trem cavity with mahogany would affect the brightness of the guitar, and then seeing how a fixed bridge (the Hannes is a great piece of technology if you ever get around to reading about it) would affect the sustain, tone, etc. I guess these are some of the things floating around my mind at the moment, and when I saw one of my guitars needed a little operation, I kind of figured "well if you're gonna fix the door..."

I'd be really curious to see Parker branching out a bit more; especially now that I've seen the limitations within my own guitar (I still can't get over that .1cm difference in bearings). Parker is one of those companies that, I feel, set the bar quite high, but doesn't seem to realize its own potential. Regardless, I hope you found my musing sensible, and thanks for the support!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
Parker is one of those companies that, I feel, set the bar quite high, but doesn't seem to realize its own potential.

Yeah, that seems to be true.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:31:08 AM »
Well my original question was aimed at why did you feel the need to replace a Parker trem with another Parker trem?
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline mrpenguin354

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, are you asking what the original problem was that made me have to swap trems out?

If so, I had been experimenting with heavier gauge strings and the low E (I think it was a 74 gauge?) got jammed into the bridge. I was able to install the string fine, but unable to get it back out of the bridge when it came time to replace the strings.

If you're asking why would I swap out the trem with the same trem system, period, I thought I would be able to buy a replacement bridge without any swapping problems. So firstly, for ease of use, secondly, dropping in another trem system (flat mount or floyd style) would require more routing. I'm not opposed to filling in holes, but making more is a bit tricky.

For what it's worth, the Parker responds EXTREMELY well to a little bit more string tension and a lower tuning. I know I don't fit the norm of Parker users, but mine is currently tuned to Drop A and that low A string sings like piano, so round and clear; really quite gorgeous as far as notes go.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
The first. I didn't realize the string had gotten stuck in the slot.

I'm glad to hear the Fly does well with drop tuning. Have you looked into a Fly Standard or Stealth? Both are hard tails. I myself never use my vibrato either. But my main Parker is the Fly Mojo Singlecut. My FMS has the standard LP/SG tail piece setup.
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:12 AM »
If you do get the correct bearing to fit? Here is a thread I did on making the trem fixed. It is not permanent but does away with a lot of extra stuff.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=5321.0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:16:54 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

Offline mrpenguin354

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
@lucgravely: Personally, I'd love to have EVERY Fly model regardless of specs!  ;) I'd love for my next pickup to be a stealth model, but these earlier run Flys seem to be hard to come by these days. I think the last one I watched was missing three frets form the board...

@908ssp: That is a finely made piece of wood my friend! It's kind of nice how clean it looks in comparison to blocking out a Floyd or similar. I see you started thinking about adding a brass block, this is really similar to the lines I was thinking of with blocking out the trem. It seems to make sense to me that, if the bridge were anchored to a higher density material, it would affect the resonance and tone. Reports from EBMM BFR owners (which uses a block of mahogany running down the center from the neck pickup to the bridge, installed in a basswood body) state that there is more of an overall roundness to the tone now vs. similar non-BFR products. I just imagine using a similar technique in a something as light and acoustically resonant as the Fly would provide more dramatic (better may be subjective) result.

I really have the urge to find a cheap Nitefly and do some intensive surgery now...