Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: parker fly deluxe bridge replacement problems  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Re: parker fly deluxe bridge replacement problems
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »
If so, I had been experimenting with heavier gauge strings and the low E (I think it was a 74 gauge?) got jammed into the bridge. I was able to install the string fine, but unable to get it back out of the bridge when it came time to replace the strings.

Why don't you just get the string out and put your old bridge back in? You could drill out the bridge a little bit to accomodate the larger string(s). There's a way to get the string out, with the right tools and some patience.

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
I'd be willing to bet there's a way to get the old string out of the original bridge.  The good news is that you seem to have the bridge off already so that should make things easier.

The first thing I would try is clipping the string to about 1" or so from the bridge and then trying to unscrew it out the hole with some needle nose pliers or similar.

Failing that, I would try to "unravel" the winding from the string as much as possible to give you a little wiggle room that might allow getting the remainder back out of the hole. 

That's a pretty fat string, so if you plan on doing this long-term, I'd think opening up the hole a little on the bass side strings on which ever bridge you end up with.

If I'm misunderstanding the issue, feel free to ignore!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline mrpenguin354

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 01:52:51 PM »
Thanks guys, to be clear though, I've already swapped the bearings on the bridges and solved my issue that way; if this topic should be closed, please feel free to do so.

The string broke at the bridge, which leaves me little to play with on the non-ball end, but I like the recommendation of the untwisting method. Getting that stub out would be very nice; I'd have myself a nice replacement bridge for next time. I fear, though, that the string may have "dug" itself into the bridge while tuning up, so backing it out may be difficult.

On adding heavier gauge strings, I took the time to carve a bit out of the bridge slot on the new bridge so the string slid in (and back out!) without any trouble. It was definitely worth it though, now I can put those nagging "what-if-I-mod-this" questions to bed...although I have been looking at swapping out the pickups  :P

Thanks again everyone!

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 02:51:33 AM »
pen354-what gauge strings are u using?

alex-u crack me up, doctor!  lookout night flys.  honestly i do want an old delux to go to town on.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
mr. penguin-I may have an answer to why would parker make such a minor bushing change.  I may be wrong as I have only been into a similar tremolo bridge post issue for this last month.   it appears, as recently posted in the technical question section by several of us, that  since at least 2009 that the latter bushing is a factory fix to solve a forward leaning bridge problem coming to light on several models, including my treasured 98 spruce fly artist.

I have petitioned to have this problem fully described in FAQ.  we shall see what transpires. 

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 01:08:22 AM »
see leaning bridge discussion and reply from parker in TECH TALK for flys and niteflys at least, manufactured 1993-2003 (30,000 guitars) or perhaps 1993-2009, jan. 20 , 2014, from billy t (parker senior spokesman)