Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Damaged Fly Neck? (help?)  (Read 5307 times)

Offline Obsidian

Damaged Fly Neck? (help?)
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
Firstly thank you all for a wonderful forum experience. This place feels right to me!

For the last 12 years my Fly Deluxe has been with me and never once failed me. Good times, bad times, worse times, she's been there. I must admit I haven't always cared enough, or even paid enough attention to things like maintenance. This year saw me pick up guitar in earnest again, pretty much for the first time after deciding not pursueing a career in music. A couple of weeks ago I noted some damage high up on the neck and I do not know what to think about it. I am, obviously, much more of a guitar player than a guitar tech. Below are pictures of the neck - should I worry? What is going on?

Also...

The result of my ex (no not for this, but it was close) dropping my guitar while in its gigbag on a concrete stairs. Lesson learned there. Is there any way of fixing something like this myself? Or can I just send it off to any guitar repairman? Or will I forever be stuck with the dent + damage?

Re: Damaged Fly Neck? (help?)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »
From what I seen over the last fews at the forum, the last thing you want to do is to give that to your average guitar repairman. It's either ship it to Parker or Shazrock if you ask me.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Sad story there. It looks to me like delamination of the carbon-epoxy fretboard material. We've seen a few examples of that here recently (try searching for that term), but it's odd that yours showed up after so many years. It's not easy to fix, and probably not cheap when done by the pros at the factory. Maybe it's just cosmetic and you can go on playing it that way forever, but I'm not sure.

The big ding on the body is just affecting paint and wood. Since there's no carbon-epoxy there, I think it could feasibly be addressed by any knowledgeable instrument refinisher.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
The big ding on the body is just affecting paint and wood. Since there's no carbon-epoxy there, I think it could feasibly be addressed by any knowledgeable instrument refinisher.

I'm not so sure about that. I read somewhere that the original Parker Flys used some kind of special polyurethane (UV cured I thought it was). I don't know that you can just patch that up without negative chemical reactions happening. In theory I guess it should be OK if the same type of materials are used.

That's why I said to stay away from your average guitar repair guy. Worst thing that can happen is it gets repaired, it fails and the whole thing had to be redone.  ;D

Offline danielou

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
Looks a lot like the fretboard delamination that I and a few others have reported. Has your fretboard noticeably lifted in the areas of the damage?   The problem is that once the space forms between the neck and fretboard,  then the neck can swell relative to the fretboard and the problem tends to get worst.   
  I haven't seen other reports of pre-refined flys having this issue but am relatively new to Parkers.  Hope you are able to repair it.     Perhaps the glues are vulnerable to certain environmental issues even in older Flys 

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »
Wow, fast replies so far!

Well I am mostly worried about the neck, the 'big dink' has been there for years, hasn't gotten any bigger and is practically part of the guitar for me by now.

Some of the delamination pictures I've seen after searching gave me nightmares last night, but they get the point across quite well. I need to find out what is happening here!

As far as I noticed the neck hasn't lifted, and when I look past the neck as a whole it is almost perfectly straight. While I am hoping my problem is purely cosmetic, gut feeling is telling me there's a bigger problem.

Since I live in the Netherlands the prospect of sending my guitar of to the USA for repairs is not something I am looking forward to, both in costs and time away from my fly. Perhaps I should try contacting Parker about this?

*** I decided I might as well contact Parker about this and see what they tell me. Still worried this might eat heftily into my new guitar budget but let's wait and see. If anyone can shed some more light on this, by all means go ahead! ***
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:33:29 AM by Obsidian »

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 06:57:25 AM »
Not so sure that's fretboard delam, looks a bit "low" for that and also proximity to neck pocket makes me think that instead the neck shifted slightly in the pocket, cracking the paint.  If this is what's going on you can possibly try putting some pressure on the neck and see if it moves. If so, you have your answer, and you'll want that fixed at the factory.

I wouldn't worry too much about the paint, which is the same as modern automotive paints, but not for the average DIYr or tech. There's a recent thread about touch up paint with good info, tough this ding is probably bigger than you can hide without some skillful blending, especially considering the location and relative contours.

Good luck!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »
Another possibility no one has mention is the typical paint shrinkage at the neck joint. We have seen this on many Flys over the years. For some reason an extra amount of paint collects in the corner between the body and the neck and it dries as the years go by and shrinks leaving cracks running along the neck body joint. I have seen a couple in person the neck is still solidly mounted and the fret boars flat so it is just cosmetic. You can touch up the chip with anything that matches it won't react with the original paint. To get the best color match you should get the PPG paint. Some one recently supplied a link to a company selling it over the internet.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
Another possibility no one has mention is the typical paint shrinkage at the neck joint. We have seen this on many Flys over the years. For some reason an extra amount of paint collects in the corner between the body and the neck and it dries as the years go by and shrinks leaving cracks running along the neck body joint. I have seen a couple in person the neck is still solidly mounted and the fret boars flat so it is just cosmetic. You can touch up the chip with anything that matches it won't react with the original paint. To get the best color match you should get the PPG paint. Some one recently supplied a link to a company selling it over the internet.

I agree, it looks like it's only cracks in the paint to me. My concern on the paint was that someone would touch it up and then give it a clearcoat on top of the existing finish and it might not take to the original finish, which would be a disaster. But that's not my area of expertise, I could be wrong about all that.

Here is where the link to the paint source is: http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,13403.msg124974.html#msg124974

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 01:19:08 AM »
Well, sending Parker an email about this was the way to go. Here's the anwser I got:

"This is definitely just a finish crack due to changes in density/humidity/temperatures, etc.. through the years I'm afraid.

I don't  believe there's any structural damage here at all."

In the meantime I've also carefully tried if the neck was somehow moving a little bit and peered really long and hard to see if anything looked out of the ordinary. Seems my Fly is as stable as it was before. And Parker people are confirming there is no need to worry.  < relief! >

Now there's just the matter of correcting the crack near the neck and the big dink on its bottom. After some prodding Parker at least came up with one guitar tech that should be able to help me. They never mentioned any experience with Fly guitars in their email message, nor does the site of the repairman but I'll just be careful and ask a lot of questions. No use in having someone with the best intenions ruining my beloved greenie.  :-\

Thanks for the help and ideas guys - much appreciated!

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:53 AM »
I thought the same as Parker did but was too unsure of myself to say it.

I would either send that guitar to Sharon for touching up or I would leave it be and play it as is and enjoy every wrinkle. Sharon (SHAZROCK) was the Parker painter for the original Boston Parker Flies. She knows what she is doing. She may have painted it the first time.

I would not let anyone who doesn't regularly work on Flies touch it.

They are not making these anymore. You are a lucky man.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:51:55 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
Well I would love to send my guitar of to someone that can do it justice! But I guess the person you mean is not exactly living nextdoor - sending my beloved greenie to the states is not something I am particularly keen on. Long trip, seems like a lot of hassle and I am not sure if I can be without my fly for ehm... like a month?

And lucky? Are the old models collectibles these days? All I know is that I love my greenie :)

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 06:18:40 PM »
Whatever you do, DON'T look for the swirled fly thread.
 ;)

Glad to hear your neck is stable.  I would've probably thought it was just paint too except for your comment about how the ding was created.

I probably wouldn't do a thing to the paint. 

Failing that, a really great autobody guy could probably do a great job with this as long as you tell him not to use any solvents on the guitar, and that the back is carbon fiber composite. 

Your typical luthier/tech/furniture refinishing/diy friend will probably not do a great job on a fly and you'll only wish your biggest problem was a paint chip.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline alvferal

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 04:35:11 AM »
Hello.
I think that your problem is more cosmetic, i hope that. But I think  my deluxe has the problem. the fingerboard neck is separated from the first to the fifth fret of the low E zone. I think that's what you call delamination. I can get a  paper 2 cm below the fingerboard. you tell that has happened to others and there are pictures of other cases but can not find it. I wonder how to fix if they can be arranged. I am in Spain and send the guitar is a problem

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 06:55:00 AM »
Hi AlvFeral. Welcome to the forum.

I am afraid you will have to send that back to Parker. That is not something that a luthier or anyone else is likely going to know how to properly repair.

What year is your Deluxe ? Are you the original owner ?

A few Flys in my soup