Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Practice Space  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Practice Space
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Man do I need a place to go. Now that I am trying to get good enough to play out more, and in trying to record more, and trying to bring in other musicians it seems crucial to have somewhere to go.

Too many distractions and onlookers in a busy household. And I dont like bringing strangers to my home.

Do any have practice space ? What do you pay ? There is nothing cheap around here.
A few Flys in my soup

Re: Practice Space

Offline Music Wolf

• http://www.random-thought.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:36:45 AM »
Hi

I'm in the UK so probably rental costs are not so relevant to you, however, my band are paying £50 per month (I guess that's about $80) to rent a farm building.  That's very cheap in the UK.  The farm buildings have been split up into 4 industrial units.  One of the band memebers has a business in one of the units.  Our unit had been vacant for some time so he asked the owner how much to use it for storage and practice and we got the deal.  Problem is that we have to move out at short notice should he find a permanent tenant.   We use the loft space which is approx 20' x 20' (maybe a little bigger) with an apex ceiling.  There's no sound treatment or soundproofing but is a pretty good sounding room.

The best thing about having our own space is that we can leave the drums and the vocal PA set up.  The bass player and the other guitarist leave their amps there although I only leave my acoustic amp, I take my Blackstar combo and pedal boards home with me each time (no heating and too much dust).  We've established a layout that works well for learning new material plus there's enough room to set up as per on stage which we do the last practice before a gig.

Prior to this we'd rented various rehearsal rooms on an hourly basis.  Going rate in this part of the UK appears be around £7 per hour.  With our space we only need 2 x 3 hour practices per month to make this the better deal (although I'd happily pay more for the convenience of having our own space).

Chris

Offline bno

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:49:47 AM »
Always a major issue.   I'm in the NYC area and rehearsal space goes from $15 to $30 per hour, depending.   If four people split two hours of time, that's like a night of bowling or a movie with a trip to the concession stand.  I view spending $15 one night a week to play for a couple hours without hassles, distractions and underage onlookers to be a reasonable investment.  Maybe you can Craigslist an ad to see if you can hook up with a band that has and wants to share their rehearsal space.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
Man do I need a place to go. Now that I am trying to get good enough to play out more, and in trying to record more, and trying to bring in other musicians it seems crucial to have somewhere to go.

Too many distractions and onlookers in a busy household. And I dont like bringing strangers to my home.

Do any have practice space ? What do you pay ? There is nothing cheap around here.

I've got no one to play with, it gets boring sitting in my room playing to a drum machine all the time. But no one I know personally has the time and/or interest to get together with me. I'm like you, I won't let strangers into my house, either. I've given up on the idea of playing with other people when it comes to my own creations. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
I'm done playing with myself  :-[

I've played with 3 different groups now and can feel the music coming to life.

Its a whole different level.

Yes it takes time and compromise. Its always a gamble and a pain the arse. But its also amazing when it comes together. Playing alone just don't cut it anymore.
A few Flys in my soup

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
A truly beautiful thing when it works out, totally frustrating when things are close but someone turns out to be a flake right when it all starts to gel.  There's always some compromise so don't let it get in the way of success.

Anyway, if you're in the stix or the burbs, you could rent one of those outdoor storage units.  I was in a band in Phoenix for a little while and the only real issue was having enough outlets for everything, and the heat in summer.  The homeless neighbors didn't seem to mind.

Otherwise the best thing in my experience was shared space with 2 other bands in a commercial manufacturing building.  Typically occupied by small machine shops, so not many people after hours and few complaints if ever about volume.  A lot more space than typical rehearsal spaces.

If you're church affiliated, you might find space that way, maybe in the basement.

Try to avoid an audience when learning new material, it can be really distracting.  It can be less so once things tighten up and a good "dry run" before hitting the stage.

Mostly, have fun!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:31:59 PM »
Paul--I stagnated for years until I finally broke the shell and started playing with others. I feel like I starting all over again, again.

Billy--"the best thing in my experience was shared space with 2 other bands in a commercial manufacturing building."

Thats what I am looking for. Tough going though. Very hard to find. And storage units are no good here. Too hot. Even in the climate controlled ones and besides they usually have rules against band use.

Craigslist here is full of dreamers, retards, and crazies. I know because I use it extensively.  :-[

There is a tiny AA church down the road. I might try to contact them for weekday rentals. Could use a spiritual infusion anyway. If I'm mysteriously blocked at the front door...well Heaven knows what that means.   :o
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:34:11 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »
Paul--I stagnated for years until I finally broke the shell and started playing with others. I feel like I starting all over again, again.

I play at church with other people on a regular basis. I'm talking about when it comes to my own stuff. I guess I suck and ought to just accept it.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:26:34 AM »
There is a tiny AA church down the road... well Heaven knows what that means.

Good, because I don't... I know it's completely off topic and doesn't really matter, but I've been racking my brain guessing.

Alcoholics Anonymous... do they have a church?
Advanced Adventists?
Aspiring Agnostics?

I'll bet it's something obvious that I'm just not familiar with.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »
AA= African American

There a loads of tiny little churches on the sea islands around here. They usually do not belong to a denomination and are their own little free standing sanctuaries. Quite refreshing and often with very good music. This particular one is a micro brewery of congregations. About a  1000 sq foot cinder block structure with maybe 30 parishioners  that meet only for a couple of hours on Sundays. I live about  2 miles from it and drive by all the time. It would be perfect if they wanted to rent weekdays but I don't see why they would. But nothing ventured , nothing gained.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:48:36 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 02:31:50 AM »
yup.  with out a space you are nothing.  my best was in the rockies-steamboat springs, shared a warehouse with four other bands/musicians /studios-60 bucs a mo.  complete freedom to create, all hours.  and big island studios but drugs, booze were a problem, as always.  the carney-nature of the business draws it in, imo.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 08:03:30 AM »
yup.  with out a space you are nothing.  my best was in the rockies-steamboat springs, shared a warehouse with four other bands/musicians /studios-60 bucs a mo.  complete freedom to create, all hours.  and big island studios but drugs, booze were a problem, as always.  the carney-nature of the business draws it in, imo.

What area do you live in now?

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
Bill, as a pastor, I would think it be cool to have a local band practicing at our facility (might bring people in the door, who knows?).  We actually have a couple bands who use our gym after hours.  If you're willing, you might include an offer to do a free concert of Christmas music for the church in December (as part of keeping the rent low).  Most small churches have a VERY hard time finding quality live music during the holiday season (I'm speaking from a fair amount of experience here).  I hope it works out for you.

Casey

PS - If they turn you away at the door, you don't want anything to do with them anyway.
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
Hi Casey. Its nice you have such an open door policy. I can understand if this one doesnt go for it though. Its a tee-ni-nee, eddy-bitty one room church and only opens a few hours on Sunday. No employees or paid pastor.  If i were a member there for umpteen years I would feel funny about opening the doors to strangers when I'm not there and renting my church out to rockers to come and go with no employees or members there to oversee the property.

If I get up the nerve, I will approach them one Sunday.
A few Flys in my soup

Offline luke_h

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:12:50 AM »
Well, I would only pay for room rent with good equipment or for a studio. The major black job I do at home. I have a place there (a room) where I can practice with no distraction