Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Practice Space  (Read 6203 times)

Offline bembamboo

Re: Practice Space
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
nood- austin included the gamut from roach infested wonk spaces with cheapest possible audio, 100 plus degrees, filthy, unbreathable...to pricey old airport studio like, black draped, spic'nspan, carpeted, lockered gear, big monitor system spaces.  didn't work for me. now in the dark, conservative interior of the wild west and can't wait to get outta here.  did get together with another old dinosaur at his studio that had EVERYTHING.

Offline Umphreak

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 08:16:28 PM »
Bill- Is it important to bring your own gear with you or can you use in house amps, etc? I've gone this route for awhile with my band (a 6 piece) and it was pretty cost effective (the studio we went to charged $15-30/hr depending on room size. After doing this for a few months my band and I rented out a practice space in a converted warehouse for $300/mo ($50/mo each person - which is nice for amp storage, quick setup time, etc). Since we've done this we've found our practices to be much more productive since we don't spend 30 minutes setting up, etc. Good luck with your search, playing with people is truly a fun experience!
1997 Fly Deluxe Emerald Green
1992 Washburn LS103 Legacy Tobacco Sunburst

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
Update- I am so lucky.

I'm now in a 4 piece band and one of the members has a recording studio attached to his house so we practice there.

Its a fantastic space too and we get instant demos. So far, none worth keeping as we are just starting to learn how to play as a band. Everyone singing lead sounds like an off tune unsynced church congregation. But hopefully, we'll get there.

I'm playing mandolin now. We have a lead acoustic guitar, drummer, and electric bass. The bass man also plays stand up bass. Actually everyone in the band can play guitar and several instruments.

Now we have to buy a PA. Looking for a used system at or under 1000 dollars. Thats going to be tough because the guy that owns the studio is a bit of an equipment snob and wont consider using the cheapos like behringer or peavey. He only wants Mackie or JBL or QSC and its tough to find that stuff used for cheap.

A few Flys in my soup

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 11:45:47 AM »
have been hearing alot about new designd, eq'd QSC k8s and tens i think.  1000watt powered, that are SUPER EFFICIENT at 700 a pop, and dont need mixers.  should please the snob.  one would also be a fab piezzo amp for your parker!!  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=616270&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:55:18 PM »
Looks sweet ! QSC is quality stuff.

Thanks Bboo
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 09:13:37 PM »
Hey Bill,
you should look into Atomic's new offering.  Designed by Jay Mitchell, these things are geared towards the guitar market but knowing Jay's stuff and doing a bit of research on this, they should make amazingly high quality PA stuff.  It's a bit above your price range, but not by a huge amount and should last you for a very long time in terms of expansion.  Check their facebook page - their website is still under renovation.
I'm looking into this myself when the cash becomes a little more available.

https://www.facebook.com/atomicamps
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
np bill-see my long post in the equip section upgrading cheap cabs w/ pro speakers, used qsc power for a few hundred bucs and cheap mixers and 57s and 58s of course for mics, used-50 bucs, but clean 'em!