Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replace pre-refined Fly output jack  (Read 5382 times)

Offline 9fingers

• http://www.myspace.com/holycowwv
Replace pre-refined Fly output jack
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
I have spent time searching the forum for this. My jack is pretty well worn (95 Fly Deluxe). It is going to cut out in the middle of a solo on a big stage, I see it coming. I do use the right angle plug & hook the cable through the strap but the jack is pretty loose.
The searches I have done say a Fishman Switchjack will do the job. I don't care if it mounts right flush to the guitar body or protrudes some.
The links I found with diagrams and instructions for installing a Switchjack seem to be old & dead.
Does anyone have step by step instructions or pix for replacing a pre-refined jack with a Switchjack (or other available part)?
Thanks!

I'll Fly Away!

Re: Replace pre-refined Fly output jack

Offline ryanoryan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
Tricky- but not impossible.

You can use any 4 terminal stereo barrel jack - some tend to be longer then the route accomodates. You can grind off some of the end of the jack to make it fit though. You may want to use the existing jack as a reference if you're resizing one.  Alternately,  you can use any readily available stereo jack but you may have to use a dremel to widen the intererior cavity to fit it. You can then afix the outside portion with a standard jack plate. 

Send customer service an email at this link: http://www.parkerguitars.com/Contact/contact-us.html ,  we can get you a drawing to show the connections.  (its a little dated, but we're working on prettier up to date ones as I type)

- Ryan

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly

Offline mattyn

• Cascade Guitar Lab, Seattle WA
    • http://cascadeguitars.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
I have replaced jacks on pre-refined Fly's with this... but it needs to be modded:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Jacks/Switchjack_Endpin_Jack.html

The tip needs to be cut and one of the lugs needs to be shortened as well.

Like ryanoryan said, you can use the existing jack as a reference.

Don't tear the ribbon cable or you have a much bigger job on your hands.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:27:05 PM by mattyn »

Offline 9fingers

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:42:08 PM »
Thanks a bunch!
Ryan, so glad you are on board here. Paul, great info & help as usual from you. Matt, thanks for the advice & I'm loving the natural Fly Mojo (with GK3) I bought from you (Keith in WV here).
I have a Switchjack & will get together with my electronics guy & we'll go for it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:45:49 AM by 9fingers »

I'll Fly Away!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the update. I have a feeling I will have to replace the jack on my '95 Deluxe one of these days, good info to know.

Offline 9fingers

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:32:12 PM »
It's done! I do plenty of guitar wiring but was scared by the ribbon cable & took the Deluxe & a Switchjack to my electronics guy, since I was taking some amps in anyway. I also took him copies of the posts in this thread & a copy of the image you sent Paul. He trimmed back the long ground contact on the Switchjack, and cut off the smaller threaded part. The stock black outer jack end threaded right on the the Switchjack, so the Deluxe looks perfectly stock. $40 for a hours work from him & I picked it up later that same day with a nice tight jack that should last as long as I do!
Thanks again! Keith

I'll Fly Away!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
Nice. Glad you got it fixed!  8)

Offline mattyn

• Cascade Guitar Lab, Seattle WA
    • http://cascadeguitars.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »
Cheers Keith!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:14:24 PM by mattyn »

Offline Jakse

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
This a complete old timer I know. My Parker fly classic has become pretty unstable regarding the output jack.
I'm not entirely sure what to do here ! .. Could you explain it to me? How do I go from ribbon cable, to that ordinary jack on the picture??
Now, I'm from Denmark so bare with me !

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
This a complete old timer I know. My Parker fly classic has become pretty unstable regarding the output jack.
I'm not entirely sure what to do here ! .. Could you explain it to me? How do I go from ribbon cable, to that ordinary jack on the picture??

Do you use stereo output from you Fly at all? If you do, I would not recommend replacing the jack unless you want to rewire the entire guitar with a new piezo mixer. See if you can spread the contact points in the jack, first.

Offline Jakse

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 06:50:58 AM »
That's a good point. I don't know where to look at? I think the damage is internal. The solderings are fine, so it must be inside the output.

Offline Jakse

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 05:47:24 PM »

Do you use stereo output from you Fly at all? If you do, I would not recommend replacing the jack unless you want to rewire the entire guitar with a new piezo mixer. See if you can spread the contact points in the jack, first.

The guys at Parker told me that your statement is wrong. The output jack will still work

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 06:58:05 PM »

The guys at Parker told me that your statement is wrong. The output jack will still work

Then they should come out and fix my 98 Deluxe (and a few other members) who have reported stereo mode quitting on them after this install. ::)

From a wiring standpoint, yes, their 'fix' should work, everything lines up and looks good. But something kills the piezo in stereo mode.

It could very well be an issue with the jack that I and others have used, maybe it's somehow shorting the piezo (ring) signal to ground. I put a decent number of hours into trying to troubleshoot, and I can guarantee that my fly is wired exactly as the diagram provided by USMusic, with a Switchjack Endpin jack, and my piezo is dead in stereo mode only.

In the end I gave up troubleshooting, as this guitar is a workhorse - far from flawless, and the lack of stereo output didn't bother me too much. If I ever get ambitious enough to find out why, I'll post the results.

Just giving a fair warning, is all. Maybe it will work for you, but if you might be able to save/fix the original jack and not run the risk, why not try?

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 05:01:07 PM »
Hmm, well i've done this fix on my pre-refined deluxe with no problem, so maybe it's an issue with the "auto sense" (or whatever it's called) function of the newer fishman boards?

Big Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.