Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Practice plans - anyone has any experience with those?  (Read 6729 times)

Offline prjacobs

Re: Practice plans - anyone has any experience with those?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
Obsidian, what are your goals? Who are your influences on guitar - who would you like to play like? What sort of rock are you interested in? I think that would dictate the kinds of technical exercises you'd want to work on.

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 02:30:33 AM »
It is a bit daunting to type all of this, but basically I want to unlock everything I can about my guitar playing and take it up to the next level.

Before I will start to type all of this - while I am very much a rock guitar player I do like just about every sort of music. My earlier comment about jazz mostly comes from the death by bossa nova approach some of my guitar teachers subjected me to.

Goals, in non particular order (actions for reaching this in accolades):

* Want to be able to play whatever I can hear in my head.   (record myself?)
* Want to unlock new creative paths   (action learn more music theory, apply it and also do consistent ear training, transcribe songs)
* Want to tighten up my technique, and speed it up a couple of notches   (Me and my metronome)
* Want to finally master sweep picking and tapping techniques     (Find good excersizes and stick with them)
* Want to improve my phrasing     (Record myself, really listen to recorded, etc)

While I love a ton of music and guitarists, I keep coming back to what I think are the big three: Steve Vai, John Petrucci and Joe Satriani. Maybe not the most exciting influences (and definitely putting me in a sort of box I guess) but hearing those guys makes me want to pick up my guitar and practice, which is a good thing.

The two weeks woodsheddin´ have so far given me a decent return on investment. My callusses (is that the proper word) are not as built up as they were say, six years ago when I tossed my guitar in the closet, but they are better. I feel hands respond nearly as well as they did then.

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »
It is a bit daunting to type all of this, but basically I want to unlock everything I can about my guitar playing and take it up to the next level.

Before I will start to type all of this - while I am very much a rock guitar player I do like just about every sort of music. My earlier comment about jazz mostly comes from the death by bossa nova approach some of my guitar teachers subjected me to.

Goals, in non particular order (actions for reaching this in accolades):

* Want to be able to play whatever I can hear in my head.   (record myself?)
* Want to unlock new creative paths   (action learn more music theory, apply it and also do consistent ear training, transcribe songs)
* Want to tighten up my technique, and speed it up a couple of notches   (Me and my metronome)
* Want to finally master sweep picking and tapping techniques     (Find good excersizes and stick with them)
* Want to improve my phrasing     (Record myself, really listen to recorded, etc)

While I love a ton of music and guitarists, I keep coming back to what I think are the big three: Steve Vai, John Petrucci and Joe Satriani. Maybe not the most exciting influences (and definitely putting me in a sort of box I guess) but hearing those guys makes me want to pick up my guitar and practice, which is a good thing.

The two weeks woodsheddin´ have so far given me a decent return on investment. My callusses (is that the proper word) are not as built up as they were say, six years ago when I tossed my guitar in the closet, but they are better. I feel hands respond nearly as well as they did then.

I grew up and learned guitar long before these guys were around, so sweep picking and tapping aren't something that I've mastered by any means. I do think that the drills I posted earlier would be good in this context. Knowing harmony will really increase the available possibilities for soloing and really knowing basics like key signatures, and common tones for chords is a great foundation.
I also think that you have to tailor your playing to what you do best. You or I will never be Vai, Petrucci or Satriani, so becoming a pale version of them isn't necessarily being true to yourself. But give yourself time and see what comes out as you practice.
Personally, I like Guthrie Govan better :).

p.s.   Post something that you're interested in learning or that you like, if you feel so inclined.... Maybe i can break it down for you...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:43:43 PM by prjacobs »

Offline bno

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 09:27:45 AM »
I love this thread.  My personal experience with this whole musical learning process could be summed up as follows:

A dark room with opaque windows and locked doors.  As you spend time in the room you learn what is in it.  Then you get glimpses through the windows.  You find or are given a key that opens a door.   A "Wow" moment.   A new room.  You look in this new room and the room is so blindlingly bright you can't see anything.  Then as you step into this new room, it becomes dark.  You adjust.   Try to get comfortable.  You spend time in that new room but keep going back to visit the rooms you were in.  Eventually the windows and doors in the new rooms start to reveal themselves.  Or you go back to a room and discover that it is larger than you thought.  Or you go back to a room and find a new door. 

This process repeats endlessly, unpredictably.  Sometimes you see the key and it stays out of reach for a very long time.  Or you never reach it.  Sometimes someone hands you the key.  Sometimes you spend a very long time in a very small, very dark room.  Sometimes you walk through the door, see everything and immediately move on to another room.   Some rooms make you angry and you despair.  Some rooms are so much fun you don't want to do anything but play in that room. 

So, I live wandering around my chateau.  Visiting rooms I know and knowing there are new rooms to visit.

But don't forget to get outside and check out the birds and bees. 
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
BNO, if rock-n-roll history is any guide, being proficient in those rooms will very likely get you more than enough experience with the birds and bees.  ;D  :o
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 12:30:26 AM »
Telegram style, I am in a hurry!

Birds and Bees are catered for, playing guitar interestingly never made that any easier for me, I think, mountaindewaddict. Besides, my girl would kill me ;)

Love the poetic way of describing this BNO. I mst have read that 20 times already, at least.

@PRJacobs
Guthrie rocks, haven't heard enough of his music to put him in my top 3 though. Love his musicality though!
I agree on the theory/harmony stuff. I did do it a bit, but not structured enough yet. Will seriously start that this evening.
About breaking stuff down for me, I am not sure if there is any particular piece as of yet. I'll give it some thought during my slightly long awaiting car ride... Thanks for the offer!

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 04:12:09 AM »

Update time:

I think I am doing allright, all things considdered. For over a month I have been diligently putting in practice time, varying from 1-3 hours a day for 5 to 6 days a week. The focus is on putting in real practice time, so no doodling, when I notice my mind drifting, or my fingers I stop.
Working on my technique goes well, overall. I am making progress with picking technique, finger twisters etc. Most practice time looks as follows:

10 minute warm up (mostly alternate picking).
10 minutes of finger independence excersizes (alternate picking everything)
15-20 minutes of sweep picking excersizes
10 ish minutes of combining scales with economy picking or legato style
10 ish minutes of consciously working on bend clarity and vibrato
15-? Minutes creating a backing track in pro tools and improvise
10 minutes of ear training (mostly chromatic intervals)

I have done the scale/chord note drills prjacobs suggested, and I can see the value of getting those into my system.
I do, however, have problems with application. I am familiar with the major scale modes, chord building etc, but I really haven't found anything new on the theory side to learn. I feel I am neglecting this side of my music studies, and next to that, I feel trapped in my little modal box.
I would really like to look into music theory concepts and try to learn how to translate them into things I can do on my instrument. But… How?

I have been looking into getting myself some theory books. Alas most seem really basic, so basic I feel I allready know  80%, investing in a book then feels rather wasteful. I must also admit that I am not 100% sure what to look for. Anyone has any experience with studying music theory?

Offline Bagatell

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
Hi Obsidian, how goes the schedule? I ask because I'm where you were a few months back - haven't played for a few years and haven't played a Fly yet either! I was thinking of doing the Joe Pass Jazz Guitar in 20 weeks book. Would love to hear you can you get get what little chops you had, in 5 or six months.

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 01:18:14 AM »
Well... You might have noticed a thread (in general) on here where I explained a bit about being struck down by a really cramped up left wrist muscle. After some physical therapy and some treatments of what they call dry needling (needle in your muscle and then they zap you with electrical pin*******s) I am just about recovered.

For the last two weeks I have finally been able to do everything I could do before, I have been hesitant to pick up the 3-4 hour per evening shootouts though, since stress and overuse did give me the injury to start with.

While I have organised some lesson material for myself I have yet to restart the pracitice regime - while I have been playing that has mostly been jamming, and working on recording some new music. (the relief of being able to play again was quite inspiring)

Looking back, with the time I invested I managed to really quickly (within two weeks) be about as skilled as i was before. Within two months I was noticing quite a bit of improvement in my right hand from all the alternate picking and sweep picking practice.

I am sure you're going to love playing a Fly. I have had mine for 12 years now and while I fell in love with the looks, it did succesfully ruin playing just about any other guitar for me.

If you are going to study jazz I really recommend doing 10 minutes of ear training for every practice session you are going to do. From intervals to hearing jazz chord voicings, it helps anchoring your brain and ears.

. Would love to hear you can you get get what little chops you had, in 5 or six months.
I am not sure if I get this sentence, so I'll hold of replying to that - good luck!

Offline Bagatell

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 02:29:48 AM »

. Would love to hear you can you get get what little chops you had, in 5 or six months.
I am not sure if I get this sentence, so I'll hold of replying to that - good luck!

I should have said "If one can get their chops back.."  :)

And you say two weeks rather than six months!!! Even better.

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 07:09:34 AM »
luckily I had been playing bits off and on and things went quickly for me. Things could be different for you!
I am convinced that just about everyone without physical limitations can get their chops back. Just be careful not to overstrain yourself in the process. RSI and such are real dangers here!

It did take longer than two weeks before my calusses were developped enough to keep the practice routine going! I especially suffered while rehearsing vibrato and stringbending. (rubbing your fingers with surgical alcohol twice a day actually helps for this)

How about you post about your progress here? It'd be motivating for me to know others are doing the same. (same challenge goes to anyone else out there working on a practice regime (or following it)!

Offline Bagatell

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 08:36:46 AM »
The alcohol thing sounds good. I know how well  it works on blisters.

I intend to keep a blog on my setup and progress. I'm waiting for certain legal matters to sort themselves out before I can get the new gear.
FWIW I started out looking at looking at a Variax..maybe as well I've had so long to lurk and browse.