Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: so tell me about your way to set the bridge up  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Harry Blackhole

so tell me about your way to set the bridge up
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Hi,

I'm quite new to Parkers, and I recently bought '99 Fly Classic. Awesooooome!
Still unsure about the proper way to set up the wheel and tune. I know it's kinda dumb, but can you tell me how I should do it from the beginning? Imagine I put a new set of strings and stretch them, then...?
What i do is I turn the wheel until I can't move the bridge up in the HOME position, then tune the guitar. I want the bridge to be bend down only, so I turn the wheel until it barely touches the home switch, then tighten the spring about one turn. It's what I read in the manual. Now, this way the tuning seems to be not stable enough for me - I had PRS with locking tuners once, which seemed more stable in this matter, but not really sure, I might be going crazy:) What are your experiences in this topic?
Also - when I play a gig, and want to tune the guitar when in such mode (bend down) - i do nothing more than just turn the keys?
Sorry, this Parker bridge is still a bit of mystery for me. Thanks for your answers in advance:)

Re: so tell me about your way to set the bridge up

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum Harry! Here's a good place to start: http://www.parkerguitars.com/images/stories/manuals/Fly_trem_guide.pdf   :)
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
I know that when you compare the Parker Fly bridge to the ubiquitious Floyd Rose/Strat type bridge that it seems like it's from another planet, but once you get it set up properly it's very stable. If it's not, you haven't got it set up correctly or the strings are binding at the nut.

What gage strings are you using?

Offline Harry Blackhole

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »
I use 10-46, what should I check when it comes to nut?

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »
The nut is cut for nine gage strings. The slots should be widened a little bit to accoomdate the 10s and I think your problem will go away.

Offline Harry Blackhole

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:54 PM »
Thx Paul, will try that! Now I follow the procedure given in this pdf file and when I tune and do dive G and low E string seem to go sharp no amtter how many times I tune and dive. Any ideas?

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
It's probably because the other strings are binding, puts more tension on the strings that aren't.

Offline Harry Blackhole

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
Sounds logical:) I guess I will go and see the tech tomorrow, it's not a big deal to file those slots, I suppose:) Thx again Paul!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
No problem. Should be a few minutes of effort on his part and your problem should be fixed if the bridge is set up properly. Let us know how it turns out!

Offline Harry Blackhole

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »
I took it to my tech, he filed the nut to fit the string gauge, it took him few minutes. He checked strings behaviour due to tremolo usage and said it's been fine now. He also mentioned that real graphite nut needs some time to start working properly. Now I've been playing my Fly for maybe 25h and the tuning seems perfect! I consider this to be fixed now:):)

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Awesome! That's good news.  8)

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
He also mentioned that real graphite nut needs some time to start working properly.

I don't think any* guitar has ever been made with a graphite nut, so that is a misconception. Graphite is an extremely soft material that could not hold up if used as a nut. See this discussion about what the nut is really made of:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,13099.msg119466.html

* Talking about manufactured guitars here. It's certainly possible to custom cut a nut from a soft material if someone wants it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 06:31:00 PM by sybersitizen »
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 08:58:51 PM »
Yeah that's true, that's another common misnomer about "graphite" nuts. It's actually a Teflon material...

Offline Harry Blackhole

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »
Good to know that! :) i should guess that graphite is too breakable breaks for such applications. I think what tech meant was the real Graphtech nuts nut those cheap pseudo-graphite ones.
Now one more thing-since I set up my bridge as gloating, when I want to correct tuning, I switch to home, tune it and switch back up?

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »
Now one more thing-since I set up my bridge as gloating, when I want to correct tuning, I switch to home, tune it and switch back up?

I don't know how other people here do it, but I only do that on the initial tuning after changing strings. Once that is done, it's basically like any other floating bridge, it just needs an occasional adjustment to compensate for the strings stretching out as they get older. I don't mess with the step-stop ever after the initial tuning.