Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super slow motion videos of picking techniques  (Read 4765 times)

Offline bno

Super slow motion videos of picking techniques
« on: March 23, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »
I stumbled upon this.  Pretty cool.

http://www.troygrady.com/code.php

Check out the Players page.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:10:57 AM »
Intersting. Back to prj and bno's prior thread observations too.

These shreddars hands stay relativly still. The Rusty Cooley one especially stays completly still. Very little finger/hand muscle movement. Only slight wrist movement even. All the drive is from forearm and shoulder. I never knew those big muscles had such fine tuned and rapid control.

A few Flys in my soup
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:13:14 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 09:14:50 AM »
Yeah, that is pretty cool. I look foward to seeing new additions in the future.

"Despite fifty years of rock guitar and nearly eighty years of jazz guitar, only a small fraction of players have ever developed truly virtuosic technique. This low percentage of guitar masters is at striking odds with other areas of music study. While almost any conservatory can produce a pianist capable of nailing Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, how many guitar students anywhere have mastered Yngwie's I'll See The Light Tonight? Or Steve Morse's Tumeni Notes? Or Django Reinhardt's Nuages?"

I would also say the same thing about violin.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:23:53 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline loumt123

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:32:10 AM »
that's a pretty killer website. great post

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:28:11 PM »
Cool! That players page has enough great players to appeal to just about everyone. Thanks.[8D]

'05 Mojo++'95 Deluxe++'98 Classic++'97 Artist ++'99 Simonized Artist++Flextone3++SpiderValve 212
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »
Being someone who's played lots of Django Reinhardt, Chopin Etudes, and basically any solo from the 60s and early 70s,(my formative years:), I just can't resist putting my 2 cents in.
I think that when you're dealing with an improvisational medium, naturally you have idiosyncratic styles that come into play. People use their unique technical approaches to create something that is "them."  The point is not to reproduce someone else's solo; the point is to be original. Also, a piano is a piano, (yes, I own many synths and samplers:) ,but an electric guitar is a lot different than an acoustic one.  You also have different string gauges, levels of distortion, etc., that don't enter the world of classical music.(usually)  Playing Django Reinhardt and say, Steve Vai are more drastically different than playing Bach, Debussy, or Stravinsky.

Obviously, on a basic level, the classical musician is called on to play what's been written.  When you study with a high level teacher, they have a lineage that goes back, in some cases, hundreds of years.  The problems that someone might have with, for example, a Chopin Etude, have been encountered, analyzed, worked on, and evolved for over 250 years.  How to deal with something on a musical level has been explored for centuries, as well.  

When you study classical music, there are prescribed ways to go about it.  First you play this, than step 2, etc.  It's all been tested and proved.

With popular, modern, or whatever you want to call it, music, we just don't have that.  Certainly, if I was creating a guitar conservatory, I'd put together a curriculum that would progress in a logical way and would include all of the techniques necessary to be a master musician... Of course, even defining a master musician probably wouldn't be the same for many people. And what to include would also be an interesting discussion.
 If I was trying to create MASTER guitarists (of modern music) with the approach of a classical teacher, I'd want any guitarist to play everything proficiently, from Django, to Hendrix, Wes Montgomery, Van Halen, etc.  Of course, you'd have proficiency exams with juries, etc.  Sounds like a lot of work!  And it is!  But, I don't know of any shortcuts.

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
wow, only just seen this whilst searching for something else.  good video!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
sweet, looks like he's stalled a bit though.  Found some cool info about amp buying in NYC on that site too.

+1 with prjacobs comments, though I also think the best improvisational techniques eventually find their way into the "standard" language of the instrument over time, eg bending strings.  I think one sort of feeds the other...and back again.

Billy

[Always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline lifeguitar

• http://playing-the-guitar.net/325
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »
Cool video.  Reminds me of a video I saw on youtube of a drummer doing a super slow motion crash hit.
---------------------------
http://www.playing-the-guitar.net