Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bass amps  (Read 7163 times)

Offline ClausRogge

Bass amps
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:55:04 AM »
There is an "amp" forum but they only talk about guitar amps it seems -
I tried playing my Fly Bass through my otherwise favourite amp, a Gallien Krueger 150 MB that sounds AWESOME with my fretless and very good with other fretted bass guitars. I just couldn't get any good sound out of it! No matter what I tried, the sound was not coming! And me coming in to the bigband rehearsal all proud and "Hey come and see my new bass, best one I ever had" - stupid situation.
Now I didn't have the time to sit down and twist those knobs for hours and hours but I hadn't expected that to be necessary since when I plugged int omy SWR LA 12 (little 60W box with only vol, bass, mid, treb to fool around with) the sound was fantastic at once.
Anyone else have similar experiences? Does that very special way of "picking up" the strings require some defineable qualities in the amp?
Parker Fly
Parker P36
Parker Fly Bass

Re: Bass amps

Offline ClausRogge

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Hm. Not much going on in this forum anyway ... or have I offended someone (FZ quote) ?
Parker Fly
Parker P36
Parker Fly Bass

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:46 AM »
Not many Fly bass owners here. If there were I'm sure they would chime in. Best wishes.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline ClausRogge

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »
Now where would I look for Fly Bass owners if not here ... (head scratching smiley)
Parker Fly
Parker P36
Parker Fly Bass

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
Well there are 10,000+ Fly users I think. But maybe a couple dozen active users at anyone time here on the forum. I'd say the Fly bass player odds are pretty low since there are probably only hundreds of bass' out there. It stinks I know! Maybe they're all out there playing shows!
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline ClausRogge

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:15:35 AM »
Makes sense! I had no idea we were such a rare species ... given that everybody is absolutely floored when they hear my bass (using the proper amp, that is ;) )
Took it to rehearsal of the rock band that I'm playing guitar in to show it to our bass player - he played it for the entire three hour rehearsal, couldn't let go of it! The drummer of the jazz trio that I'm also playing in (gig tonight) was very definite: "Every time we're going to play, you'll have to take THAT bass and THAT amp with you!" People come up to me after shows just like they did when I was playing Chapman Stick and ask questions about that instrument and how wonderful it sounds.
Parker Fly
Parker P36
Parker Fly Bass

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:42:57 AM »
Sorry, can't be there tonight but please tell me if and where and when you're going to use a Chapman Stick! I've been waiting for an opportunity to actually see (not just in pictures) and maybe even try one for a few years now.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ClausRogge

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
I'm not using it in any bands now, just for home recording. But you can come to my place and see and try it.
Parker Fly
Parker P36
Parker Fly Bass

Offline gen_gen

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 11:54:17 AM »
ClausRogge, It has been my experience that many bass amps have a unique EQ curve to get their version of what a bass should sound like. If you ran a pink noise and RTA to see the curve (which I typically do) you usually find a wild EQ curve. That will kill the volume of specific sounds at specific frequencies giving the appearance that the volume is low in those ranges.  With my Fly5, I perform with a Fender 300 Pro tube head and a Ampeg PR-410HLF speaker and it gets a KILLER thunder-ous sound all the way down on the B string. Not much playing with the tone except I roll off the highs when I start slapping. I have the piezo about half volume (personal preference) and I use DR Black Beauties strings.  I always get the sound guy and other musicians mobbing me to see what I am doing to sound like that, it sounds like a wooden hammer hitting a grand piano string.   But I can roll it back easily to get a smooth blues tone akin to an EB0. A little twist on the pot goes a long way. I practice and play small venues with an Ampeg B200R which sounds quite well also.  I have heard of at least one other person (actually has a post on this site) where the tone issue was a reversed wiring of the Magnetic vs Piezo pickups where they phase cancelled each other causing terrible tone and low volume. Not a likely scenerio but worth checking.

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 06:43:38 AM »
ClausRogge: "But you can come to my place and see and try it."

Thanks a lot. I'm looking forward to that a lot! I could bring my Fly for you to try.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ClausRogge

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
Yes gen_gen, that is what I was thinking ... we love amps for the way they colour the sound and maybe the signal coming from teh Fly is so special that some just won´t sound good at all! Have you experienced otherwise good sounding amps just not responding to your FlyBass in  an expected way? This GK150 experience was just too embarrassing (or however many "R"s you put in that word) but I look forward to being able to spend more time, twisting the knobs of this my otherwise favourite amp.
Nef: Have not been at home this week and will not be a lot the next - but when I know when I will be in I'll send you notice! OK?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:59:36 PM by ClausRogge »
Parker Fly
Parker P36
Parker Fly Bass

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
Thanks a lot, I'm sure that will be fun!

Greetings...
Nef

Offline ClausRogge

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »
Check your PM Nef ...
Parker Fly
Parker P36
Parker Fly Bass

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 06:26:22 AM »
I've read it, I'm just very lazy when it comes to writing e-mails, sorry.  ;D

It's my first week back at work too.  >:(

Reply coming soon, I promise.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline gen_gen

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »
ClausRogge, Yea, it took me a while to find my setup. I started with an Ashly BP41 bi-amped through a 2x10+1x15 EV setup, which I loved with my Steingerger, Rickey and others. BUT the Fly5 sounded thin and low-mid heavy. I played with it and got an OK sound but nothing that was great. I do not mean to offend any of my fellow Fly-Buddies here, this is just a personal preference.

I went to several shops and started plugging into everything they had. Mesa was the only one I thought sounded good too but I do like my setup better. The ones I passed on were Ashdown EVO, several of the Hartke, Aguilar Tone Hammer, I had a my Ampeg BRE2 and (sorry) several GKs.

Some of my sound I like is due to the speaker which to me is incredibly tight and low with really good fidelity. And I guess in the end I am a sucker for that big watt tube sound.