Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dragonfly/Nitefly Radial  (Read 3355 times)

Offline ZemanG2

Dragonfly/Nitefly Radial
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
Ok so I love the new body on the radial series, not horribly in love with the new headstock but that is fine. My gripe is that the new models are more expensive than there carbon fiber epoxy predecessor. Which is again ok, Fender charges insane prices as well on some models, but instead of ebony finger boards would it be possible to put the same fret board on the guitar? It is just glued on like wood is. This would be a fair bridge between the old and the new. Just a suggestion.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Re: Dragonfly/Nitefly Radial

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:36 PM »
I'm interested too. But since the "Low-Carb" Fly never saw production I'd think the carbon board only has some kind of production snag that makes it not cost prohibitive or maybe it doesn't work without the neck wrapped as well.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Noodler

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
Luc is probably right, but I have to admit a mid-tier model with the carbon-glass fingerboard would be interesting.  Phenolic fingerboards have been offered on lots of guitars so it's not like it would be a huge advantage.  I think for Parker, the big thing for the lower cost design was getting away from having to use glued-on frets. 

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:04:48 AM »
I had the PM24v and the PM20Pro and and p10e, all with phenolic, they didn't glue the frets in they are normal jumbo nickel frets. I wouldn't even mind a radial with one of those on it, but seriously the cost is absurd, I didn't pay that much for any of mine new.

But you might be right about possibly not being able to glue the epoxy board without wrapping it...but then how do they do the phenolic??

I missed it but what was the low carb Fly?

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 07:44:43 AM »
Low carb was taking two carbon rods and placing them longways in the neck joint. The neck joint was still super thin and equally as stable. But the guitar had ebony fret board and no carbon wrap.
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
I'm interested too. But since the "Low-Carb" Fly never saw production...

Do you know that? I've been wondering about those. If they exist, they wouldn't necessarily look any different from fully-wrapped instruments.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
They never hit the website. Maybe some protos are out there. We never heard about productions runs.
Luc Gravely
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Noodler

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »
So I received my new DF524 last Friday.  I'm waiting to get a bit more through the "honeymoon period" before posting a full review, but in the case of the fretboard I have to say that the ebony board with the hardened stainless steel frets really feels "just like home" - by that I mean it felt like I was still playing a Fly.  I know that the DF series doesn't have the conical fretboard radius like the Flys, but it still felt nothing like my Ibanez or a Strat.  Of course the neck profile is much thinner than any of my Flys, but it's still very Fly like.

I do have one issue with it though.  The second fret is too high (checked with my fret rocker tool) and the nut slot for the 4th string is too deep (buzzing on the first fret when played open).  I should note though that the DF524 is the BEST non-carbon neck I've ever played.  I checked the frets across the entire neck and ONLY the 2nd fret is a bit high.  On my other non-Parker guitars there were always 7 or more frets with issues that I had to fix using my diamond crowning files.  I have never attempted to use my diamond files on a Fly's stainless steel frets (nor have I had to), but I'm seriously considering it for the DF524.  It's really the only thing that's detracting from the overall playability at the moment (well that and the problematic electronics, but I'll get to that in my full review).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:45:27 PM by Noodler »

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:30:32 PM »
Did a little digging, Europe got it, found a store in Germany and Spain that carried them, I'm guessing we have all seen one. If you remember there was a guy on eBay selling this smaller emerald green Fly... from what I can translate that would have been the Low Carb Fly