Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: John McLaughlin  (Read 2219 times)

Offline baronthecat

John McLaughlin
« on: December 19, 2005, 09:37:26 PM »
Recently had to repurchase "Divine Light" a remix of two Carlos Santana albums. (lost or liberated, who knows) The tracks from both albums sound unreal, but listening to McLaughlin and Santana play some beautiful spiritual music like that is awesome.
 "Birds of Fire" I know it's been said a billion times, but it's a cool album. And it sounds fantastic on a good system.

Taylor 810CE
Warwick Thumb 5
soon:Parker Fly Custom
2005 Parker Fly Classic, transparent cherry.
2006 Parker Fly Custom, majik blue.

You could spend forever picking the right amp for each string.

John McLaughlin

Offline 908ssp

John McLaughlin
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 11:25:20 PM »
I love Birds and have many of Johns Cd's. I have Love Devotion Surrender with John and Santana. I was unaware they did anything else together.

A side note I have a Boogie MKIIC+ that was supposedly given to John by Carlos while they were working together in SF. When Boogie found out they gave John one and Carlos returned the one he had bought for John. I don't know if it is true but the story was free I paid for the amp. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

John McLaughlin

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
John McLaughlin
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 09:20:14 AM »
I've got "Birds of Fire", too. Some people consider that to be Mahuvishnu Orchestras' best album.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

John McLaughlin

Offline splitfinger

• http://www.myspace.com/matick
John McLaughlin
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 05:52:59 PM »
John Mclaughlin is amazing. Mahunishu orechstra...amazing. i wish i had more of him though. what other stuff was he in..i have friday night in san fransico and the mahunishu stuff, but like, what other side stuff was he in?? I need to get more of him.

word to ya mother.

John McLaughlin

Offline Paul Marossy

John McLaughlin
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »
"The Heart of Things" is an interesting album - he's using a guitar synth on some of it. It's actually pretty listenable, too. And "The Promise" isn't too bad, either.

Oh, and check out "The Lost Trident Sessions", that's a pretty cool one.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 06:21:30 PM by Paul Marossy »

John McLaughlin

Offline danjazzny

John McLaughlin
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »
"Inner Mounting Flame" is my favorite! [:D]

'05 Mojo++'95 Deluxe++'98 Classic++'97 Artist ++'99 Simonized Artist++Flextone3++Neglected Yamaha RGX-A2
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

John McLaughlin

Offline TomL

• http://www.MystikNRG.com
John McLaughlin
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 01:57:43 PM »
Bob and I have seen Mahavishnu many, many times. Anytime they were anywhere near Roch., we'de try to get there.I remember seeing them in a hall at the University Of Rochester, when Inner Mounting Flame 1st came out. Seeing them that up close was fantastic (and LOUD![:0])
Very intense and spritual music and chops for days. Can you tell I'm a fan? [:D]

Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red
97 Fly Concert Trans Butterscotch

Those who can, do. Those who cannot, usually run the monitor mix.

www.MystikNRG.com
Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red
98 Fly Artist Trans Butterscotch

http://www.MystikNRG.com/

John McLaughlin

Offline danjazzny

John McLaughlin
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by TomL

Bob and I have seen Mahavishnu many, many times. Anytime they were anywhere near Roch., we'de try to get there.I remember seeing them in a hall at the University Of Rochester, when Inner Mounting Flame 1st came out. Seeing them that up close was fantastic (and LOUD![:0])
Very intense and spritual music and chops for days. Can you tell I'm a fan? [:D]

Tom

98 Fly Classic Trans Red
99 Fly Jazz Trans Red

www.MystikNRG.com

I saw them 2 consecutive years at Lenox, Mass. in the early 70's. Didn't think they would be able to perform at the high level of their first record. Man was I wrong. I can still see Billy Cobham's drumsticks flying out of his hands and through the air at least a half dozen times during his intense solos! [:0][8D]

'05 Mojo++'95 Deluxe++'98 Classic++'97 Artist ++'99 Simonized Artist++Flextone3++Neglected Yamaha RGX-A2
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

John McLaughlin

Offline Paul Marossy

John McLaughlin
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 03:51:35 PM »
Billy Cobham is the bomb. I think "Inner Mounting Flame" is my favorite one. Although, I do like "The Lost Trident Sessions" a lot, too. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:21:47 PM by Paul Marossy »

John McLaughlin

Offline danjazzny

John McLaughlin
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 04:39:58 PM »
For some really good pre-Mahavishnu music by McLaughlin check out the high energy jazz-rock of "Devotion" with John, Buddy Miles, Billy Rich, and Larry Young. [:p] For a more acoustic approach listen to the spiritual "My Goal's Beyond". [;)]