Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix string gauge  (Read 9980 times)

Offline Twanking45

Jimi Hendrix string gauge
« on: October 14, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
An interesting article regarding Jimi Hendrix's setup details from his guitar tech--the inventor of the Octavio fuzz pedal, Roger Mayer.

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-roger-mayer-secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup

Apparently Hendrix used a strange set of strings -- .010, .013, .015, .026, .032 and .038. -- I tried them and, despite the fact that I did find it yielded an even sound when I struck a full chord, I could not get over the lightness of the low E string. I've since been playing a set using strings 1 and 2 from a pack of .10s and the rest from a pack of .9s.   

Any other strange hybrid gauges out there amongst forum members?

Another interesting thing Mayer said was about the pickups Hendrix used:

"Basically, what became very apparent with pickups is exactly what I thought before we started: They really don't make much difference! I would say they're one of the most vastly overrated parts of the guitar itself. If you understand electronics, you understand that as the inductance of the pickup increases -- that is, as the number of turns on the pickup increases -- all that happens is you get a larger output, and you effectively get less high-frequency response due to the fact that the inductance of the pickups rises. It's a trade-off."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:09:34 PM by Twanking45 »
>>---> TWANK <---<<

-Nitefly V3 (1997)
-Parker Deluxe (1996)

Re: Jimi Hendrix string gauge

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:51:01 AM »
Fun read. I talked to Rodger Mayer he called me after I emailed him some questions. We chatted mostly about motorcycles. Anyway I respect his opinion but in the end it is opinion. For example he mentioned number of winds he didn't mention which or how many of the five different magnet types he tried. He was talking about single coils most of our guitars use humbuckers with two coils. He did mention that Jimi's guitars were upside down so the mass of wood was different than a normal Strat. K. Parker mentions this as well and the Fly is built to distribute more of the weight down low like an upside down Strat. Also the bridge pickup is slanted backwards this makes a noticeable difference in the upside down Strat compared to the normal one.

My Hendrix inspired Fly.

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »
i'm thinking of buying a cheapie lefty strat with a big head and turning it upside-down.  a reason to play a strat again seems like using it like hendrix did, upside down, would be a suitable tribute, since everyone plays strats these days and since i don't plan on using the strat for anything other than that style of playing.  besides string gauge,... i have been wondering  1.)  as discussed on another recent thread here concerning 6 on a side v. 3 on a side string length "easing bending on high strings", will the hendrix set-up make bending less easy?  seems so, and on the other hand on the low longer strings, will that make them fall out of tune easier, or hitting hard with a pick, will that effect the tuning of individual notes picked?  2.)  now that there is a good new fuzz face out, it would be fun, i love feed back and a vibrato bar.  3.)  any other thoughts?  thx 

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
upside down guitars...kinda like this? eric gales-namm   omg....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JneK4uHUHOY

Offline PinkStrat

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 01:41:58 PM »
Here's the straight scoop on the strings used by Jimi Hendrix. For Stratocasters, Jimi definitely used the original Fender "150" set (10-13-15-26-32-38) because with the upside down headstock the .038 (as the low E had much more tension --with five extra inches of wound string behind the nut going way out to the last post on the Strat's headstock). The same physical principal applies to the A string too (with the .026 D string being the least affected of the lower 3 strings). The other set was a standard 10-13-17-26-36-46 made by Darco (the original D'Addario company) called "Funkys" that had Jimi's picture on the pack. Those were used on his Gibson Flying V because the "3 and 3" tuning key arrangement didn't change the tension whatsoever when flipped around. The last set installed on his favorite black Strat (which was found in the vault after Monica Dannemann's death was basically the same as the "150" gauge modified with a high E that was a .009.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Mmmm, tension as in bend tension.... kinda. The more string behind the nut, the more you gotta bend it to achieve the bend u want as all that string behind the nut stretches too. Ie the same gauge string will feel different to bend depending on the length behind the nut. However The tension on the string on bothe side of the nut will be the same.

Big Pedantic Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.