Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did I kill my Parker?  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Zoso

Re: Did I kill my Parker?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »
Ok I got a set of 9s and put the 9 spring in. It's playing fine, but I have one question. Right now I have it in the bend down only mode. When I do double stop bends the strings go flat. Is it ok to increase the spring tension until they stop going flat when i bend a string?

Thanks for everyone's input
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:10:35 PM by Zoso »

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »
agree about mismatch/set-up.  also from an earlier post, re-spring upside down is something i will try.

Offline mockchoi

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:54 PM »
Ok I got a set of 9s and put the 9 spring in. It's playing fine, but I have one question. Right now I have it in the bend down only mode. When I do double stop bends the strings go flat. Is it ok to increase the spring tension until they stop going flat when i bend a string?

Thanks for everyone's input

I would say not okay, though I did it for a short time with my guitar with no ill effects.  The guide advises for doing what you are suggesting, to use a heavier spring, or block the tremolo.

Offline jtees4

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 08:08:16 AM »
Well she is glued and clamped up. I ordered a new 10 spring from parker and it should be here by the end of next week. I have a Christmas party to play at and it looks like I'll have to use my trusty old Ibanez. Although I'm going to pick up a set of 9s and put the 9 spring that came with the guitar in to check it out once it cures.  There will be a scar and I can live with that or I have a friend who owns a sign shop and I can get him to cut me some white reflective racing stripes. On a Majik blue I think it'll look cool. I was thinking though I'm pretty good with fiberglass and it might be a good idea to reinforce that cavity around the spring with a layer of mat. I just don't know how that will affect resonance but if another spring goes I don't have to worry about shrapnel taking people out in the front row.  : P

WOW...that really stinks. I wonder if it is more common with the .10 than the .09 spring. I recently bought a '97 Fly Deluxe that came only with the .09 spring. I bought a .10 but haven't changed it yet. Now I'm thinking maybe I should just leave it alone....that's scary.
I think you should have sent Parker a picture and asked them to give you a free spring, I suspect you may have been able to get one. Good luck, you got me nervous now ;-)

Offline ace1001

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »
Ken is no longer with the company. 
They like to badmouth his hand made springs.  Didn't the original poster say this was a NEW 10 spring.   If so, it is one of the factory made springs.   If you reinforce the top, it will just break a bigger piece out next time.  I would bet it won't happen again.   Anyone ever break two?

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 06:10:54 PM »
  Anyone ever break two?

I haven't seen anyone at this forum break two springs. It's rare for them to break.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:29 AM »
mock, good advice.  i think i used to do that, and my 96ish deluxe broke.  dInt realize booklet said not to...thATS WHERE I GOT THE IDEA TO TIGHTEN.   

Offline mockchoi

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
mock, good advice.  i think i used to do that, and my 96ish deluxe broke.  dInt realize booklet said not to...thATS WHERE I GOT THE IDEA TO TIGHTEN.

I actually didn't even get a booklet with my guitar, and don't know what it says.  I was referring to the guide on this forum, GUIDE - How to setup the bridge Step-by-Step.  It's a sticky on the 'Fly Guitars' section.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »
I actually didn't even get a booklet with my guitar, and don't know what it says.

You can download the pre-refined handbook here (not a lot of data concerning springs):

http://thesybersite.com/parker/ParkerGuitarsHandbook_1995.pdf

or the refined handbook here (warnings about overtightening):

http://thesybersite.com/parker/ParkerFlyHandbook_2004.pdf
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Zoso

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »
She lives and I've been giggin with her for a few months and love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaKmpldHKCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o3tjak4rgY

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
IN THIS OR THE SIMILAR THREAD i mentioned i would try reversing the spring to protect from an over tightened exploding spring damaging guitar top from inside.  did so, found the spring   is already oriented so a snap will go backward, into the plastic back plate rather than forward thru the guitar.  i would like to know how the victim caused the break, the whole story, if there is one.