Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone heard a fly classic with Seymour Duncan 59/JBs installed?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
Re: Anyone heard a fly classic with Seymour Duncan 59/JBs installed?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 03:21:37 AM »
I throw my 2 cents in.
Paul Marossy and I analyzed the response frequency graph on my Fly mojo with stock JB/Jazz pickups, and yes, there was an annoying peak at about 5.5 kHz and the sound was fizzy.
I had them rewound at Fralin to '59 PAF specs, a bit modded to fit the thin body of the guitar (they offered a degaussed AlNiCo 4 magnet). Great improvement, lower output and warm sound with no fizz at all.
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline super_fly

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
Okay, I have done the research, taken the PUS out, and everything looks workable.

One last question (I think), before ordering parts:

Which is a better width for the neck Pickup, a Duncan trembucker '59 (custom order) or a standard 59?

TIA

Aha! A website with pictures and everything.

Thanks Paul.

Have you heard a Fly classic with Duncan JBs or 59s in it? If so, what did you think?

I have Duncans in my Stealth. Hybrids, I like the sound better than the DiMarzios. Have Hybrids in my Mojo as well. I have DiMarzio Hybrids in my Deluxe.

You simple have no reason to change the back plate it contributes nothing. You cut the legs off the Trembucker  maybe trim the edge a bit and you're golden. Then add the missing brass insert change two screws to long ones for attaching the pickup.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 07:18:17 AM »
Classic was designed for Trem-spaced (F-spaced) in BOTH positions.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline ace1001

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:57 PM »
I think you would have been fine leaving the JB at the bridge.   Maybe consider a p-rails on the neck.   You really want the 4 switching positions for it.   Triple shot bezels are best if you can bear to drill 4 holes.

Offline super_fly

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I already had a Duncan 59 Neck laying around doing nothing, and I do love that sound, so I am putting that in the neck position. I have successfully modded the Duncan pickup by cutting off the mounting legs, trimming/rounding the corners, and then swapping the (shorter) pole pieces from the original Dimarzio pickup into the Duncan. I used a Dremel tool to cut the metal, which was pretty easy and fun. Now the pickup drops right into the neck mounting hole. The strings at the neck line up pretty well with a standard width pickup, as opposed to the bridge, which definitely requires a trembucker (wider pickup).

Current status of the project is that I have gutted the electronics, pots, jacks, board, and ribbon cables, being oh-so-careful to preserve them. When I am done with the guitar, there will only be one extra mounting hole under each pickup.

My plan is to put a standard Les Paul type electronics setup in there for the magnetic pups, and maybe after that I will use the hole from the stereo/mono switch for a second input jack and use a current model Fishman preamp board with that. I'm not an electronics wizard at all, so that will be a pretty good start.

More details and photos to follow in another thread.

I think you would have been fine leaving the JB at the bridge.   Maybe consider a p-rails on the neck.   You really want the 4 switching positions for it.   Triple shot bezels are best if you can bear to drill 4 holes.