Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Pure Poplar Fly  (Read 7882 times)

Offline sybersitizen

The Pure Poplar Fly
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:35:31 PM »
Most of you are probably familiar with this promotional photo from Parker:

I've always liked it. I assume it is/was an actual rough-cut body (looks like spruce) and neck and kind of fantasized about having one of my own to hang on a wall or something. Well, fantasy turned to fact, and I now have one... but made of pure poplar:

The body is an actual rough cut Deluxe body that I recently obtained through eBay. (I later learned that a spruce version was available back in September or October, but I missed that auction completely.) This is one of the eBay photos showing how it looked when it came to me:

All I really needed to do for the body was refine the edges surrounding the neck joint, which I did by hand with wood tools. The concentric grooves made by the CNC machine are easily visible throughout, and I wanted to preserve them as much as possible. Then I obtained a poplar board from a local wood supply house and cut a neck from it to the correct size and countours using my real Deluxe as a template. I also filled a couple of holes drilled in the back of the body with the wood shavings.

After that, some gluing, clamping, final finshing and a light stain completed the job. the original plan was to mount it on a wall in our foyer, but handling it is fun - I might have to leave it where I can pick it up frequently!

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Re: The Pure Poplar Fly

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
The Fly has the most unique neck joint of any solid body guitar.  8)

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
The Fly has the most unique neck joint of any solid body guitar.  8)

Yes, and this one is more unique than most (I fudged a bit).
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
Very cool!  I want one!  :D
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
Very cool!  I want one!

There's another body on eBay now (very rough and slightly cracked spruce, from the look of it)... item #271132034062.

Exercise caution buying from that seller, though. The body I own was initially 'bought' from him, but days passed with no shipment. When I contacted him he said he couldn't find it and probably had sold it to someone else as part of a lot. He also goofed up another purchase I made from him at the same time. He ended up refunding the money for both purchases. In the end it worked out for me because the guy he really sold the body to ended up turning it around on eBay within days, and I bought it from him - for about 2/3 what I paid the first time!

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:35:54 PM »

Nice!

Want one too!

But, how does it sound.......

Big Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
But, how does it sound...

Well, for one thing, the noise floor is truly remarkable.