Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Custom or Project? PICTURES POSTED!  (Read 21799 times)

Offline sybersitizen

Re: Custom or Project?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 10:35:28 PM »
^ BTW, this system works so well that Parker's decision to replace it with the sad plastic bushing and round arm is almost criminal.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Tectonix

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:01 AM »
Well, Patzag, allow me to weigh in here.

I believe you like the Fly platform the best with that incomparable upper horn. If that still holds true since your last posting of it, then it seems the highest concern is for the guitar to stay in tune and probably tied for second place is the smooth feel of the vibrato and the swing operation of the vibrato bar.

A very early Original Parker Deluxe hardtail might be something to investigate if someone has pictures of it. My '93 brochure has a picture of an interesting non-piezo and non-vibrato bridge. I have seen the backsides of some of these early hardtails and it looks like there are just two small screws passing through from the back of the body to hold the bridge in place. I'm imagining that bridge is either surface mount or has a shallow route out which in either case may be easier to work with for installing a Kahler bridge/vibrato.

So lets suppose that now you have purchased some model Fly and have had your tec install the optimum Kahler of your choice on it. Now that there is a very smooth feeling bridge/vibrato, the question is---does it overcome the problem of a sticky nut at the other end of the string? I would bet the family farm (if I had one) that it doesn't.

I see where Kahler sells the nut lock assemblies. Now the question becomes---Install a nut lock assembly or rely on the locking tuners and address the nut? By this time my family farm might be up for auction (if I had one) but once again I would leverage it and take a hard look at my nut, and, the type of wrap that is being wound on my strings along with their alloys.

I believe that Parkers have an excellent quality of nut and my three Flys stay in tune without exception. It would do no harm to widen the string slots just a bit and also to roll the slots off just slightly at the exit point towards the tuners. In other words, create a small radius for the smooth exit and movement of the string on the headstock side, thereby eliminating one of the hard edges in the slot where the wrap can get hung up. One thing I still do with my Strat is use surf wax (not parafin) and it completely eliminates any stickyness. Loosen the strings, apply a very tiny amount pushed in the slots with a pick and then sparsly hitting the string tops works wonders with the new compounds in this stuff. A bar of it can be purchased on ebay and it will last you and your friends the rest of your life.  Also, some brands of strings have wraps which are eased from round wounds a bit. These are not flat wounds but somewhere in between. They may be something to investigate.

The vibrato arm swing---just a thought. Since the insert is plastic, possibly a hole drilled all the way through it right where the set screw would tighten it, and then a longer set screw that would actually contact the round arm, may be a way to remedy the situation. Or possibly to rough up the inside of the plastic insert. Those are just hunches. The whole hex set up really is the best, isn't it? And, I do agree with syber.

One thing though. If this is a case of G.A.S, then the only remedy is N.G.D (new guitar day). Good Luck, Patzag.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:50:55 AM by Tectonix »
I started out in life with nothing and still have most of it left!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »
Thanks for all the good insight.
The hardtail is a good idea, I think.  I've thought about it.  I horrified myself at the idea of ripping a perfectly good and rare hardtail to turn in into a shred machine, but that has it's own fun factor built in!  Ha ha.
I will for sure have to install a locking nut.  Being absolutely inept as a luthier, I would have this done professionally.  I have located a "player's" hardtail and am in discussions with selling party on price.  Right now, they want more than I want to part with as refinishing the guitar plus adding a trem and nut would bring the price up to a brand new custom job.  So we have to negotiate.
I also have to find a good place to get the luthiering (new verb) and refinishing job done.  I emailed Shazrock and see if she answers.
I will look into the nut filing and lubing ideas you propose for my existing guitars and see if that handles.  I have had so many false and short-lived victories with this that I'm turning super skeptical. One thing that lubing the nut won't handle is the crappy bushing.  For the set screw idea you propose to work, I would have to machine a groove in the trem arm to receive the set nut, otherwise, there's nothing preventing the arm to fly off.

Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
Hep needed!
I have found a fairly trashed hard tail that is a good candidate for the Kahler retrofit.
I spoke to Sharon at Shazrock (who's still in business and doing great!) and she's cool on doing the refinish job.  But I need a Luthier to retrofit the Kahler.  Any ideas of who can do such a job?

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
While I cannot provide you any help with finding the right luthier for the job. I can cheer you on from the sidelines.

I am sure this is going to be great to follow!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
While I cannot provide you any help with finding the right luthier for the job. I can cheer you on from the sidelines.

I am sure this is going to be great to follow!

Thanks.  I'm really pumped about this.  Believe it or not I had forgotten that I had a cool relationship with a great Luthier in Washington State.  I sent him a query on this.  We'll see what he says.  If he's a go, my oh my this is going to be good!

Offline Tectonix

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
What area do you live in?

If SoCal is in the ballpark for you, I can recommend Kirk Sand. Kirk created that really cool thin guitar for Chet Atkins that he and Chet pushed Gibson into producing some years back. He is a nationally respected Luthier. He has done some specialized work for me and I frankly was completely astonished at how exacting it was. 

www.sandguitars.com

His website is a good introduction.

Yeah, I've been around a little bit. Can you tell? Good Luck, Patzag.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:05:07 PM by Tectonix »

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
I'm the Caribbean so there's no distance issue.
I'll look into Kirk Sand if either of two other possibilities don't pan out.
Thanks for the tip

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »
OK Guys.  Take a look at these and tell me.  What do you think it is worth, honestly?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/23mm01c517u4i1q/ZfQ2ZIETpy

Offline Hexabuzz

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
Assuming it was structurally sound...

I'd offer $650... $700 tops...

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »
Chips Ahoy! But seriously... if you're going to repaint, who cares? As long as the bones are good.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Tectonix

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 03:41:36 AM »
I agree with Hexabuzz and really there should be a case at that price. Eight or ten months ago, it probably could be had at $500 or $550 but I have seen a dramatic selling point increase starting around the first of the year.

It wouldn't hurt to start off waving five portraits of Benny Franklin at him (bring some fine Caribbean rum to the bargaining table if he's local)... 8)

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
If all the frets are firm and not loose or lifting then I say under a grand is fine.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 02:49:12 AM »
Patzag: "https://www.dropbox.com/sh/23mm01c517u4i1q/ZfQ2ZIETpy"

Check picture three. The chipped paint at the lowest fret visible is about the same level as the fretboard. Move up and the distance grows and grows. Looks to me like a delaminated (by a massive 2-3 millimeters) fretboard. Maybe I'm wrong but at least I'd ask for more pictures of that area and double check with someone from Parker or Shazrock before investing time and money in something that would end up unplayable without a major overhaul and a new fretboard.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
All right - quick update.
Looks like I found the winner.  And long term forumite, Parker aficionado extraordinaire and technical wizard 908SSP is going to help me out to get this beast built.
I'm super pumped, as you can imagine, and can't wait.
I think that after the guitar acquisition and mod I will get it shipped to Shazrock for a little customization.  This guitar will be my "racer".  I don't plan on using it all the time, just for the occasional incursion in shred territory so this should be extra fun!!!