Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone put Roland/Fender VG Strat guts into a Fly yet?  (Read 3251 times)

Offline daynwarren

Anyone put Roland/Fender VG Strat guts into a Fly yet?
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
We all know that Variax guts made their way into a Fly long ago, first as custom mods, then officially with teh Adrian Belew model.

Has anyone successfully installed the guts from the Fender/Roland VG Stratocaster into a Fly yet?

Re: Anyone put Roland/Fender VG Strat guts into a Fly yet?

Offline trianglehill

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:21:43 AM »
I have a Parker MidiFly, which was originally fitted with a 'MidiAxe' system. This was probably the best system at the time, but still didn't track perfectly. A couple of years ago I had a local (London, UK) guitar tech guy fit a Roland 13pin system (running from the Fischman) and a Fernandes 'Sustaner', replacing the DiMarzio single coil bridge pickup. This involved a bit of extra routing (although the MidiFly already had a circuit board from the original MidiAxe system) and a s..tload of rewiring. He did a fantastic job and the result is astounding. I use Roland VG99, a Terratech Axon 100MkII and a Roland GR55. I can get the midi signal and the magnetic/fischman pickups all through the 13 pin socket, with infinite sustain and harmonics from the sustainer. All this from the superbly playable Parker!
Parker MidiFly (with Roland 13pin mod.)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson CS336
Fender "HM Strat'
Ibanez Artist 2617 NT
Brian Moore i8.13
Jackson DK2S
Variaxe 700 series
Kasuga D350V accoustic
H & K TubeMeister 36
Roland VG99/GR55
Pod XT live
Digitech 2101 Artist
TC electronics stomp boxes

Offline trianglehill

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:24:48 PM »
FYI the kit that the tech-guy used was a Roland GT3 Pickup Kit. Suppliers say:

"This kit includes all parts for permanent installation of a GK-3 Divided Pickup into an electric guitar: a GK-3 Divided Pickup, circuit board, switches, power indicator LED, 13-pin connector, wiring and hardware. Professional installation is required.
- Divided guitar pickup for use with Roland V-Guitar System, GR-20 Guitar Synthesizer, or BOSS GK Effect Pedals
- 3-position switching between divided pickup, natural bass pickup, or mix of both
- Mounts on any electric or steel-stringed acoustic guitar"

He didn't use the pickup provided in the kit (that fits external) but rather used the Parker's Fischman piezo to provide the signal.

Hope this helpful.
Parker MidiFly (with Roland 13pin mod.)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson CS336
Fender "HM Strat'
Ibanez Artist 2617 NT
Brian Moore i8.13
Jackson DK2S
Variaxe 700 series
Kasuga D350V accoustic
H & K TubeMeister 36
Roland VG99/GR55