Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Piezo saddle ball bearings?  (Read 4097 times)

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• Norway Road
Piezo saddle ball bearings?
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:05:18 AM »
I've read a lot of posts about the ball bearings falling out of the saddles, but as far as I can tell, no one has found a good solution or a source for replacement ball bearings.  So...has anyone replaced theirs with the GraphTech saddles, and have their old ones laying around?  I really just need the ball bearings for one saddle.  I don't do a lot of windmills, so I think I can avoid losing any more of these things (though I've read that a lot of folks use superglue, and I just can't see how that wouldn't have a negative effect on tone and/or sustain), but I'd rather not upgrade to the new saddles, since my NiteFly has the old passive system (and I don't feel like routing out a battery compartment).  Anyone?
1998 Parker Fly Deluxe BP
1993 Parker Fly Deluxe Hardtail RP
2007 Hagstrom Swede
1987 Fender acoustic/electric
1960 Fender Dual Six Stringmaster
Arturia MiniBrute
Waldorf Blofeld
Line 6 POD HD500X
JMF Spectra 30T

Re: Piezo saddle ball bearings?

Offline vito912

• Black Bear Music Art Works
    • Black Bear Music Art Works
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »
Hello ZiggyZipgun!

I also lost lots of balls from the saddles of 2 my NiteFly guitars. So I bought other replaceable balls from the store where sells ball bearings. (I live in South Korea.)

Its size is '2.81mm(3/32)'. I bought 200 each at about $4.50. They're made in Japan and work good! Of course, If I don't put them on the saddle without glue, they'll fall out like original balls.
But I didn't want to use glue like you, so I bought lots of balls for preparing loss of them.

Because Parker Guitars don't produce the balls or 'dogbones' anymore, I think there isn't a better way. Is there anyone knows a better way? If so, please introduce the way!

Anyway, I also don't want to replace them to new Graph Tech Ghost Saddles. Because.. 1) I'm not sure whether they sound better tone than Fishman System, 2) They're all balck! I think their color will not fit!, 3) I don't want to make an effort to attach them.     

By the way, Actually I've put the balls on the saddlle with glue once. I think it didin't make any special problem of tone.
And I modified the body(1997 NiteFly) to attach EMG Piclups with a Battery Box, It also didn't make any special problem of tone.       
Of course, I think the best way is 'No Modifying'! But, some modifying doesn't make problem at all!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:47:21 AM by vito912 »
* '01 Parker Fly Classic
* '97 Parker NiteFly NFV1
* '97 Parker NiteFly NFV2
* '02 Parker NiteFly-SA
* '02 Parker NiteFly-M
* '01 Parker P-38

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
Sorry I called and got spares from the factory when they moved. They are precious to me and other than that you might to order the ball bearings and super glue.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:20:47 AM »
I have a couple of the original saddles lying about.  I didn't know any way to replace them, so I bought the new style.  Lo and behold, they broke strings like there's no tomorrow.  So I broke down and bought the Graphtech saddles, and I'm quite happy with them.
---Mikhael...
             ***Parker and Godin - at least they tried something new...

Offline silti

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
Do the newer (non-ball bearing) saddles work the same way? I have a 1990s Nite Fly (passive).
Has anyone tried it?