Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: worn ss frets ??  (Read 4877 times)

Offline nfly_81

Re: worn ss frets ??
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
Good stainless is not magnetic, use a magnet to check.
I've just tried with a magnet, it's attracted to the fret...I suppose they're not SS frets...I'm so sad for that...  :'(

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 02:18:38 PM »
I've just tried with a magnet, it's attracted to the fret...I suppose they're not SS frets...I'm so sad for that...  :'(

That means nothing. I have two US-built Flys in the house right now. Their frets are stainless steel and magnetic.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline nfly_81

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 02:40:59 PM »
Effectively I was wrong. I've just checked some informations about that on the web. Some stainless steel frets on Parker guitars ARE magnetic.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
All steel is magnetic. Why would stainless steel not be magnetic? Don't believe everything you see on the internet.

Offline filter

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 11:40:16 PM »
Fastfret works great on traditional wood finger boards and tanged frets, though I'd probably stay away from fast fret with a fly.

Anything oily or solvent based could degrade the glue holding your frets on.

For your fly, a slightly damp cloth is all you need.  Microfiber does an awesome job. 

Just Fyi There's lots of varieties of stainless, some are "ferritic" some are "austenitic", some are"martensitic".  Magnetism, or lack of, can help identify but isn't necessarily an indicator of quality.  I only know this because I've been doing a lot of work with stainless lately.
I use fast fret sparingly. Manily for the strings. And I always wipe the fretbard with a shoe cloth, although microfiber would work pretty good also. If my frets fall off then Ill have a reason to chage them. he he. AS far as the simple way of testing for stainless i always used a magnet or spark test but its been twenty years plus since those days. I figure if it rusts easily its bolagna stainless, too much iron. Molybdenun or titanium was the preferred metal in my day if you wanted corrosion resitance. If my frets fell off I would go with titanium and its just a matter of time before someone starts making fret wire from it to make a buck. I think the titanium saddles sound a lot better than standard and would warm up notes and sustain a bit. i would be curious to hear a guitar with titanium hardare throughout. Thanks for the info.
Parker Supreme
Gibson Dark Fire
P-42 Killswitch Engage
75 Ibanez "Les Paul"
Hollow body aluminum strat.
Line Six Variax Acoustic 700

Offline filter

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 03:20:16 AM »
Good stainless is not magnetic, use a magnet to check.
Hummm strange, different alloy on parkers than I would have assumed, here is a exceprt from wiki
'There are different types of stainless steels: when nickel is added, for instance, the austenite structure of iron is stabilized. This crystal structure makes such steels virtually non-magnetic'
I assumed they used nickle, hummm Now I'm wondering what alloy they used! I'm shocked my frets are magnetic.  Well now how do you tell? Aright we need a sample and a optical emission spectrometry  analysis. He he. If you need a refret I would be curious to know what you get for quotes. Let us know. Heres a link for ya.
http://www.petilloguitars.com/frets.php Good luck.
Parker Supreme
Gibson Dark Fire
P-42 Killswitch Engage
75 Ibanez "Les Paul"

Offline filter

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
Heres some info I dug up fro parker, hope it helps, I am still trying to find the source that quoted a couple of SA models had jumbo regular frets.
http://www.parkerguitars.com/images/stories/manuals/NITEFLY_HISTORY.pdf
Parker Supreme
Gibson Dark Fire
P-42 Killswitch Engage
75 Ibanez "Les Paul"

Offline Gorbyrev

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 04:39:06 AM »
Worth remembering that not all stainless steel has the same hardness. The original Fly fretwire is extremely hard. Some of the tanged SS frets are quite a bit softer. Stainless string use is a possible issue - good shout. It is strange though, would imagine the Nitefly glued on frets should be the harder alloy.
'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold,
'98 NFV6 Nitefly, trans blue
Axe-fx Ultra - vintage tone now the Axe-Fx II is out!

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
Mmmm, not so strange.

My 94 deluxe is showing signs of fret wear, slight, but definitely there, and i have never used stainless strings.

All metal to metal contact will wear, the softer metal will obviously wear faster, but it will still have some impact on the harder material.

Big Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.