Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker PB65SP - how to clean and protect?  (Read 4560 times)

Offline HEADG

Parker PB65SP - how to clean and protect?
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
Dear all,

Would you give an advice - how to clean and protect the body and fingerboard on PB65SP?

Am I right to expect that Dunlop® Formula 65™ care products would be appropriate for this model?
(I mean their standard cleaners, preps and conditioners for non-oil finished bodies and non-maple fingerboards.)

Re: Parker PB65SP - how to clean and protect?

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 12:06:56 PM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum HEADG! If your bass has the carbon fiber type fretboard with glued on SS frets you should use water and a soft cloth for cleaning. Some cleaners can cause the frets to loosen over time. Hopefully once someone sees this post that's familiar with your model bass they can give you more info.  :)
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline HEADG

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »
Welcome to the Parker Forum HEADG! If your bass has the carbon fiber type fretboard with glued on SS frets you should use water and a soft cloth for cleaning.

Hi Danjazzny,
Thanks for the kind words  :)  As far as I know, the fingerboard is made of ebony. But I'm not sure about the body - does it have polyurethane finish, or something else.

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
Since I'm not familiar with your Parker Bass, all I can say is play it safe and just use water and a soft cloth for cleaning. Sorry I can't be more helpful.   :-[
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline HEADG

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 04:39:29 AM »
Water and a soft cloth for cleaning is way more better than none  ;)  And thank you for this advice - I have had no experience in dealing with carbon fiber type fretboard before. 

Offline shipjaguy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 04:20:31 AM »
If you don't mind a tip from a newbie...
I've been using Smith Pro Formula Polish and it's been working well for me. Gives a very nice shine and no residue.
For the carbon/glass fretboard... I happened on this by accident. I was using some Flitz to polish my frets and got some on the fretboard by accident and rubbed it off with a cloth. After the cleaning, I noticed that the parts where Flitz had gotten on was a noticeably deeper black and had a rich lustre... So, I've using it on my fretboard ever since...

Hope this helps.

Offline HEADG

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »
Hi Shipjaguy,
Many thanks for your recommendations. Seems that Ken Smith Pro Formula is a well-thought-of remedy among the guitarists.
As for Flitz - am I right to assume you refer to well known Flitz Polish for metal and plastic?

Offline shipjaguy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »
No prob! Glad my 2cents worth is actually worth something! That Flitz is That Flitz.