Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pickup upgrade recommendations?  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Tectonix

Re: Pickup upgrade recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »
R.I.P. Roman. I spoke with him sometime back and he did know how to promote a bigger-than-others image. About his work, I don't know, but I will say this---his ad team created the absolute best photo to show off the true enhancements of the Italian Plum Fly and that's why I chose it (with no regrets). Well, maybe it was the super-hot chick holding it, but like the President, nothing that I'll admit to.   ::)
I started out in life with nothing and still have most of it left!

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »
I've never been a Duncan fan; their pickups have never lived up to the hype or their description, to me.  I know that's heresy in some parts, but that's my experience.  I'm a DiMarzio guy, and I like the Fred/MoJo pickups for the bridge position.  The coils are wound with two different resonant frequencies, and it gives me a nice thick sound with lots of harmonics.  They're not heavily overwound, either; just a bit.

BUT pickup selection is very subjective, AND dependent heavily on the tone of the wood in the guitar.  Some people don't believe that, but try sticking a Strat pickup in a Les Paul (I did).  It sounds like a weak Les Paul, and nothing like a Strat.

In a Parker?  Depends on the guitar, and what tone you're after.
---Mikhael...
             ***Parker and Godin - at least they tried something new...

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
I'm a DiMarzio guy, and I like the Fred/MoJo pickups for the bridge position.

I also like the FRED a lot.

The coils are wound with two different resonant frequencies, and it gives me a nice thick sound with lots of harmonics.

Not sure if that is a 100% accurate statement. They do wind each bobbin of a standard humbucker with different gage wires, and it is patented (which I have a copy somewhere), but they claim it gives better hum rejection and more harmonics than winding both coils with the same gage wire and there is no mention of two different resonant frequencies in that patent.

The "dual resonance" pickups are probably along the same lines, but you can't make a generalized statement that all of their humbuckers are made this way because they aren't. I am 99.9% sure that an FRED is not a dual resonance kind of pickup.

Anyway, the FRED is a great bridge pickup.

EDIT: Here it is, DiMarzio Patent #4,501,185 (different from their dual resonance patent) http://www.patentlens.net/imageserver/getimage/US_4501185.pdf;jsessionid=9002BD8D721F37DF12F09BE9C6BCE277?id=7535381&page=all

"The present invention avoids the shortcomings of prior two-coil hum-bucking pickups by winding the coils such that both coils of the pair have substantially the same number of turns but are wound with wire of different diameter or gauge. It has been found that by means of this construction, low frequency cancellation is emphasized, providing more effective elimination of 60 cycle hum without affecting the higher harmonics of the 60 cycle signal which may contribute to the desired tonal qualities. Moreover, because of the difference in impedance characteristics resulting from different diameter wire on the respective coils, overall frequency response can be selectively adjusted to provide improved tonal qualities."

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 11:53:02 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
Hmm.  I know I've read that somewhere (two resonant peaks on the FRED pickup); I'll have to go check.  Anyway, it's SOUNDS good... :)
---Mikhael...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Hmm.  I know I've read that somewhere (two resonant peaks on the FRED pickup); I'll have to go check.  Anyway, it's SOUNDS good... :)

First I've heard of that. If there is, they can't be very far apart.

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 03:00:34 AM »
@Rusty - To me I didn't like the buffer from the Fishman on the mags. When I bypassed it it gave me a subtle response I was lacking before and had become used to on all my other guitars. I know some people won't here the difference, but I could and I enjoy the passive mod. It's a good starting point IMO.
Luc, have you got a link to the schematic you used? Cheers :)
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 07:02:19 AM »
@Rusty - To me I didn't like the buffer from the Fishman on the mags. When I bypassed it it gave me a subtle response I was lacking before and had become used to on all my other guitars. I know some people won't here the difference, but I could and I enjoy the passive mod. It's a good starting point IMO.

I used the second link in my thread with Alex's passive wiring. I think I may have also referenced a Seymour Duncan schematic as well.  You need Alex's diagram to get the wire colors correct.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,13700.0.html

Luc
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »

Well, we're sort of both right, I guess.  According to Steve Blucher of DiMarzio:

"Both pickups [Fred, MoJoe] employ a patented design which employs different gauges of wire on each coil. This causes the two coils to have different resonant peaks. However, this does not necessarily result in a richer harmonic structure. It can also be employed to achive the opposite effect, to reduce harmonic overtones to produce a sound with stronger fundamentals."

It does appear in this case that a lot of harmonics pop out, especially with distortion.  Now, is that from the dual resonant peaks?  Dunno; he didn't say.
---Mikhael...

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »
http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?22538-HOW-TO-Make-a-59-Custom-Hybrid

That has been a popular mod on the Duncan forum for years. I used to make pickups that way and really like them I use the Duncan nomenclature and call them Hybrids.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »

I used the second link in my thread with Alex's passive wiring. I think I may have also referenced a Seymour Duncan schematic as well.  You need Alex's diagram to get the wire colors correct.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,13700.0.html

Luc

Terrific - thanks a lot :)
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Offline 9fingers

• http://www.myspace.com/holycowwv
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
You may already be aware that DiMarzio offers a lot of their different pickups, including the Fred, made specifically to fit a Fly:
http://www.dimarzio.com/faq/what-pickups-do-you-make-parker-fly

I'll Fly Away!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 07:57:01 PM »

Well, we're sort of both right, I guess.  According to Steve Blucher of DiMarzio:

"Both pickups [Fred, MoJoe] employ a patented design which employs different gauges of wire on each coil. This causes the two coils to have different resonant peaks. However, this does not necessarily result in a richer harmonic structure. It can also be employed to achive the opposite effect, to reduce harmonic overtones to produce a sound with stronger fundamentals."

It does appear in this case that a lot of harmonics pop out, especially with distortion.  Now, is that from the dual resonant peaks?  Dunno; he didn't say.

Interesting...