Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitefly vibrato springs won't stay!  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Mikhael

Nitefly vibrato springs won't stay!
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
I have a Nitefly SA that the vibrato springs (uses ones like a Strat/Floyd) will no longer stay in the "block"; they hang in the claw just fine, but now they've gotten to the point where they leap out of the block before you can even screw the back cover plate back on!  Parker said to bend the spring hook slightly, but they're already bent.

Does anyone have a diagram for how these vibratos are put together?  It looks to me like the "block" and the plate on which the saddles rest is one solid molded piece, so you can't buy a new block.  I'm thinking of placing a small steel bar over the spring hooks, and drilling a couple of holes in the block to hold that down.  Not much room there to do it, though...
---Mikhael...
             ***Parker and Godin - at least they tried something new...

Re: Nitefly vibrato springs won't stay!

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:50 AM »
It looks to me like the "block" and the plate on which the saddles rest is one solid molded piece, so you can't buy a new block.

Does it look like this?

Have the holes gotten enlarged over time? If you use the whammy bar A LOT, I could see this happening as that material is probably a little soft for the application. Your idea may work, but you would have to be very careful not to strip out the threads in the holes you make for the screws. I don't really see a bulletproof way to make a modification that will solve the problem.  ???

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 02:08:47 PM »
Yeah, a lot like that.  It's either that works, or I wrap it around a concrete pole, since it's useless now.  Parker did reply to me, but only told me to bend the insert of the springs so that it's more than a 90-degree angle.  I've already tried that, and it made no difference.  A friend told me to try epoxy, but then, if something happens to any of the springs, I'm screwed again.

By the way, how do you get that @#$% bridge outta there?  It doesn't just fall off when the springs and strings are removed, like fulcrum bridges do.  I don't want to try drilling holes in the "block" with the silly bugger still in the guitar...

Oh - I'm not a radical whammy abuser.  I generally use it to slide to or from notes, and a light vibrato on chords.  I save radical for my Hamer with a Floyd, since that kind of abuse would knock the Parker out of tune every time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:12:20 PM by Mikhael »
---Mikhael...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
By the way, how do you get that @#$% bridge outta there?  It doesn't just fall off when the springs and strings are removed, like fulcrum bridges do.  I don't want to try drilling holes in the "block" with the silly bugger still in the guitar...

Oh - I'm not a radical whammy abuser.  I generally use it to slide to or from notes, and a light vibrato on chords.  I save radical for my Hamer with a Floyd, since that kind of abuse would knock the Parker out of tune every time.

To remove the bridge, I think you just turn those allen head screws at the base of the trem posts until the bridge comes off. You kind of have to "rock" it out, so you'd have to do each side a little at a time. In other words, keep raising the bridge until it comes off.

Sounds like you use the whammy about the same way as I do. Weird that your having this problem. Is your bridge level in comparison to the body or is it tilted way forward (towards the nut)?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:11:26 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »
I think your idea will work, but before taking anything apart or drilling,  I'd try jamming a toothpick in the spring holes with the springs in place.  Snap them off flush and it should help wedge them in holes.  Don't know how long it will hold but worth a shot.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:16:47 PM »

To remove the bridge, I think you just turn those allen head screws at the base of the trem posts until the bridge comes off. You kind of have to "rock" it out, so you'd have to do each side a little at a time. In other words, keep raising the bridge until it comes off.

Sounds like you use the whammy about the same way as I do. Weird that your having this problem. Is your bridge level in comparison to the body or is it tilted way forward (towards the nut)?

No, level.  I've been doing this for a while; after having a couple of "repairmen" screw up my LP when I was on the road a couple of decades ago, I learned to do most of my own adjustments and repairs.  I'm somewhat disappointed Parker chose to use such a soft metal for this purpose.  Where the springs go into the block, there are grooves worn into the block leading into the holes.  I believe this is the reason they're popping out.  Unfortunate, but I have to try something, or retire it to the fireplace.

Thanks for the info regarding removing the bridge.  They didn't make it easy, did they?
---Mikhael...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »
No, level.  I've been doing this for a while; after having a couple of "repairmen" screw up my LP when I was on the road a couple of decades ago, I learned to do most of my own adjustments and repairs.  I'm somewhat disappointed Parker chose to use such a soft metal for this purpose.  Where the springs go into the block, there are grooves worn into the block leading into the holes.  I believe this is the reason they're popping out.  Unfortunate, but I have to try something, or retire it to the fireplace.

Thanks for the info regarding removing the bridge.  They didn't make it easy, did they?

Maybe you got one where the alloy was a little off and it's softer than it should be. I see bridges come up for sale from time to time on ebay. Maybe you could keep an eye out for a replacement bridge.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 07:06:12 AM »
Maybe you could fill the hole with JB weld and then re-tap it with a smaller hole? Or just drill another hole to the left or right of the original.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
Last night I discovered the material was too soft to hold a thread!  Yes, it seems this aluminum is even softer that others I've worked with.  No wonder the springs wore a groove and came out!  So, I've cut two holes through the sides and imbedded two nuts into the block for the clamp screws to go into.  I've not quite finished it (had to get some sleep before work today), but it looks like it'll function.

I've discovered I really don't care much for this design.  You've probably noticed that by now...
---Mikhael...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:38:44 AM »
Last night I discovered the material was too soft to hold a thread!  Yes, it seems this aluminum is even softer that others I've worked with.

Wow. In the several years I've been at this forum this is the first time I've even heard of this problem.  ???

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:34:13 AM »
Well, I got it done.  After discovering that the aluminum block wouldn't hold screw threads successfully, I bored two holes through the sides of the block, and imbedded two nuts.  I then put the steel clamp on top of the springs, where they go into the block.  I put two screws through the clamp, into the block inbetween the spring holes, and into the imbedded nuts.

She's functional again.  It was a lot of crap to go through to get to this point, but it now works.  I can replace the springs if need be, but they're NOT coming out of the block on their own any longer...
---Mikhael...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
Well, I got it done.  After discovering that the aluminum block wouldn't hold screw threads successfully, I bored two holes through the sides of the block, and imbedded two nuts.  I then put the steel clamp on top of the springs, where they go into the block.  I put two screws through the clamp, into the block inbetween the spring holes, and into the imbedded nuts.

She's functional again.  It was a lot of crap to go through to get to this point, but it now works.  I can replace the springs if need be, but they're NOT coming out of the block on their own any longer...

Ha ha, that'll show them!  8)

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »

Ha ha, that'll show them!  8)

Yeah, I'm just glad I got it back together in time for Saturday night's show.  Since this band does some country, I rely fairly heavy on the instrument's ability to get an acoustic guitar sound.  I've given up on trying to get my Godin SolidAC to stay in tune (besides my own efforts, I've taken it to three luthiers here in Austin to no avail), so I have to rely on the Nitefly and my P-38...
---Mikhael...

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
Got her fixed just in the nick of time!

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
By the way, what the heck does "refined" and "pre-refined" mean when applied to a Parker guitar?  I've seen those terms bandied about here, and I'm clueless as to what that refers to.
---Mikhael...