Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: politician-montreaux jazz 2012-bruce, mclaughlin -fly deluxe  (Read 2587 times)

Offline bembamboo

http://youtu.be/uzI9Ch3lIKk

at 6:00 fly at 8:00- fly v. godin strat

Re: politician-montreaux jazz 2012-bruce, mclaughlin -fly deluxe

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:42:16 PM »
Wow! Supergroup!! Brings back memories of Tony William's Lifetime with Larry Young on organ.  8)
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Noodler

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
bembamboo - what style of music do you prefer to play?  You've posted a lot of progressive jazz stuff - do you yourself play in that style mostly?

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:22:42 AM »
naw. i wish. am a very lazy player.  addrenalin is my drug. a big part of what i like to play involves crunchy, semi-distorted sustain, feedback, and limited but very diverse and unexpected effects.

i started in rock pop blues/ emphazing heavy blues rock-cream, blue cheer, quicksilver,jonny winter, barry melton of country joe, hendrix, beck, page, kassoff, rory, mc5 ect.- it was a glorious time musically, in mid/late sixties for guitarists-there weren't that many of us so we were "cool"; and then i saw miles in thornton, north denver in 71 or 72, played in a ft. collins grover washington style horn band, and started listening to mahavisnu around then, maybe a little later, saw them up on the hill at CU in boulder, then started listening to tom scott and the great gibson 335 LA jazz rock guitar players from LA.  and of course by 73-74 jeff beck in colo springs blew me away with his veer to the left into jazz rock and then fusion. i also was close in a way, earlier to tommy bolin who could be a very jazzy player, and then randy barker and his guitar teacher, robben ford.  king crimson and yes were big prog influences.

i never turned right and headed into heavy metal when black sabbeth hit.  i had a blues snobbishness.  and i never studied jazz, it was not as visceral as rock, and i regret not then or now becoming more jazz proficient.  i have a theory, jazz fans are clinging to a dead music form in terms of numbers, sorta like blues pre-stevie.  so rather than extending effort to get good at a dying art form, i love new, original music, write and perform my own all the time, which has a tiny jazz feel at times, diff. time signatures, non-traditional verse, chorus, bridge, lyrics, and lead intros, outros or solos, which are not especially vogue.  The yellow-jackets too, have had a big influence as former bassist haslip was a friend and peer of a friend in the bizz.  i like renegade creation alot, but that fabulous talent will probably never go anywhere.  311 and maragold are deserving too, heavy heavy guitar work that is a cut above, way above. i respect evh and satch and vai but am not emotionally moved by their brand of over-playing, and zappa and his son have made a difference, but only frank was an influence in my style.     

imo, great fusion jazz guitarists like robben, larry, lee, wayne, sco, bill frissel, coryell, abecrombie, often just have a broader, more creative and compelling approach than say even the good rock players like wide spead panic's     , phish, haynes, and even clapton.  trucks however seems to have it all, we shall see.  i like bramhall ll alot, as well as alabama shakes, black keys, wilco, jack white and alot of lesser know players like bo ramsey, tyler ramsey, snuffy, lindley, cooder, audley freed, peter stroud, and several nashville and nyc hired guns.

there is a fabulous 6 and 7 string jazz player paired with a latina opera singer in kona, HI, and serious jazz rockers that hang with santana's original drummer up in seattle.  eric johnson and charlie sexton are big influences in austin,  and sonny landreth maybe better than just about everyone.  am wondering what new orleans would do for my resume.  i have been very moved by union station, the transatlantic sessions, richard thompson, his son teddy's pop and related musicians, the pariah dogs, new bohemians, and natilie merchants's guitarist and a whole slew of aimee mann, shaw colvin, and other lilthe fair backup guitarists, crunchy scalding guitar work underpinning the estrogen of so many female vocalists like imogene heap.  johnny winters cover of rollin tumblin is something i played at my first road gig and to hear clapton, dylan and beck record covers in the last several years gives me unending smiles.  check out imogene with jeff at ronnie scotts in london.  pure sex. the studio recording is even bettah! 

sadly, i think rock has run its course so i'm hoping my next 15 years of playing will be new and exciting, with new instruments, more piano, and perhaps in an unexpected genera.??  :)  thanks for asking, nood     
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:15:52 PM by bembamboo »