Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: future of tube amps  (Read 3793 times)

Offline bembamboo

future of tube amps
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »
dan boul, 65 amps -  "advice for a 20something interested in designing boutique amps?  DON'T  DO IT.  SHRINKING NICHE.  RUN THE OTHER WAY."  4/17/13 weekly ustream show.  i mentioned here on this forum a plan to do so sometime back that that was my plan but  this was my eventual conclusion too.  i am still looking for that holy grail though. 

Re: future of tube amps

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:21:42 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I do love tech and toys and I agree the market will shrink and there will be more competition. But I'm also pretty sure tube amps will continue to be around for quite some time, especially good ones.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Bagatell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:37:33 AM »
But I'm also pretty sure tube amps will continue to be around for quite some time, especially good ones.

I hope so. How else will I get more Kemper profiles?  :)

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
get a drum machine.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
nef, i am afraid "good ones" now means $4000. 

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »
I actually think over priced boutique amps are a "fad". I've played my friends custom Port City Pearl which is a $2000+ clean amp and I can't notice a $1000 improvement form my Mesa Mark 1 clean channel. I think people just like spending money! I think the sweet spot for a great tube amp is $1000-2000. Anything above and below can sound good, but I feel like that's the best range in price for fantastic tone.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
Luc, I totally agree.  I'm saving up for an Egnater Tourmaster 4100 (which is in that price range).  I think it's going to be my "holy grail" amp.

Casey
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »
I use a modeler now, but I still have a couple of tube amps and the one that consistently blows me away by its raw blues power is the Classic 30 by Peavey.  It's such a dichotomy.  The thing cost me $250.00 way back when.  It's still one of the best blues amps I've played.  And if you just crank the thing up on the clean channel, it snarls beautifully.

That being said, there are some amps that are worth good money and sound it.  It's all a matter of taste and pocketbook.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX III

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »
Pat, I guess the real question isn't Marshall Vs Fender (clones and such) but are the Dumble clones really worth the high price tag? There used to be just 2-3 clones and now there are a dozen+. All with $4000+ price tags. Not having experienced the Dumble "thing" I have to wonder if it's worth it or just snake oil.  I've considered the Ceriatone for the price range... But Two-Rock and Fuchs seems to be pricey and who knows if it's worth it without trying.

Of course Fractal may have this all sorted out with no arguments sooner than later. Most that have played them seem to think so.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...