Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Fly + new Axe-Fx need to roll off volume or everything is overdriven...  (Read 3563 times)

Offline DTownSMR

So I've recently purchased a new Axe Fx ii and I'm finding that every patch seems to need my Fly volume rolled back. I've been running flat out on all other pieces of gear I've used so I'm not sure the best way to go. Should I tweak every patch or just learn to be better at rolling the volume. It's certainly a nice addition and starting to really like it but find ensuring a clean patch will actually sound clear is more hit or miss. Last time I had a tube amp I didn't have my fly yet and was using an old Strat that didn't respond like the active electronics of the fly seem to do. Just curios about others experiences. Thanks in advance.
'00 Fly Deluxe : '74 Strat : Axe-Fx II : FCB1010 : Sennheiser Wireless & IEM

Re: Parker Fly + new Axe-Fx need to roll off volume or everything is overdriven...

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Hi DTown!  Welcome to the forum.
The Fly IS hotter than a strat but your sounds should not be all overdriven, for sure.
What firmware version are you on on the Axe?  And what amp sim are you using for cleans?

On my settings, I have NO problem getting pristine cleans with a Fly on the Axe II.  Just make sure that
1. Your input trim is not higher than 0.
2. You input drive or gain is low enough.  You might have to go into the 1-2 range on some amps, even the clean ones.

I love using the Plexi 50 for cleans, as well as the JTM 45 which is VERY clean but much more bassy.  And of course, Super reverb and Twin can get very glassy.

The Axe will let you roll off volume and reduce gain without sounding like crap (unlike most other modelers) so that's also a great feature.  Set up a patch to have a very light crunch and see it clean up nicely when rolling off volume.

On my Plexi Brown patch I go all the way from clean to roaring overdrive just with volume and finger dynamics.

Have fun!

Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Re: Parker Fly + new Axe-Fx need to roll off volume or everything is overdriven...

Offline aleclee

Are the front panel LEDs tickling the red or are they on more?  The other thought is that the Fly's battery is running low. I've read about a number of similar battery issues with EMGs.

No problems here with my Classic overwhelming my AxeFx.

Offline DTownSMR

Hi DTown!  Welcome to the forum.
The Fly IS hotter than a strat but your sounds should not be all overdriven, for sure.
What firmware version are you on on the Axe?  And what amp sim are you using for cleans?

On my settings, I have NO problem getting pristine cleans with a Fly on the Axe II.  Just make sure that
1. Your input trim is not higher than 0.
2. You input drive or gain is low enough.  You might have to go into the 1-2 range on some amps, even the clean ones.

I love using the Plexi 50 for cleans, as well as the JTM 45 which is VERY clean but much more bassy.  And of course, Super reverb and Twin can get very glassy.

The Axe will let you roll off volume and reduce gain without sounding like crap (unlike most other modelers) so that's also a great feature.  Set up a patch to have a very light crunch and see it clean up nicely when rolling off volume.

On my Plexi Brown patch I go all the way from clean to roaring overdrive just with volume and finger dynamics.

Have fun!

I just got it and have only been playing with the stock presets. I wanted to explore things a bit and get to know the box before trying to craft my own patches. From what you're saying I'm guessing that I don't have some major global setting miss configured like I thought I might have but rather just need to start tweaking & crafting my own presets.

I have an Axe-Fx II with firmware 10.10 exploring mostly thru the 1.9 beta editor.

The Input Trim on each of the clean patches I've looked at are at "noon" and list a value of 1.0. Perhaps thats my issue, I'll give that a try.

Thanks!!
'00 Fly Deluxe : '74 Strat : Axe-Fx II : FCB1010 : Sennheiser Wireless & IEM

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Ah.  If you're using stock presets, then you're definitely not going to get the sound you want.
I suggest, once you are done playing around and deciding which amp you like best, to make a new preset using just an amp and a cab.  For example, take a simple Twin and a 2x12 cab and set it like you'd set up a real twin.  Gain real low, etc.  Then just adjust volume using front panel knob and/or level control in the amp block.  You should be happy pretty quickly.  Then - and only then, add some effects to taste.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II