Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So I met Vernon Reid Sunday night!  (Read 7586 times)

Offline Bry Guy

So I met Vernon Reid Sunday night!
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:42:04 PM »
This will be long but:
1. I'm still excited
and
2. Hopefully it will be worth it to you for reading it.

Backstory:
Vernon is one of the main reasons I play guitar. Basically my Mount Rushmore of guitar influences is Vernon, Gilmour, EVH, and Phil Collen from Def Leppard.

Last May I had tickets to see Living Colour in New Orleans. Unfortunately the show ran late thanks to the opening act and Vernon had an early flight out that morning so he left immediately after the show.

When they announced a show in Houston I was there! I got there early and was settled in right in front of Vernon's rig.

That's when everything went 100% right.

1. During the time between the opening act and LC's set his tech came out to check his guitar. He must have seen my Parker shirt because next thing I know he asks me if I want Vernon's pick that he used to test the guitar! naturally I say yes and I caught it!

2. The show goes off without a hitch. They are absolutely amazing live and they killed it!

So the show ends and the wait begins. While I'm waiting I start looking on stage at Vernon's rig layout on stage. His tech sees me again and hands me Vernon's strings from that night's show! Kind of an odd thing but hey I'll take it!

First Corey Glover comes out, then Wil Calhoun and Doug Wimbish. All were extremely nice and signed the handbill from the show.

But still no Vernon. I ask Doug if he's coming out and he says sure he will. But 10-15 minutes pass and he's still not out.

This lady asks a security person about him. The guy says he's still back there and he might not come out. So the lady tells Corey "Hey when is Vernon coming out?" Corey looks around and says "Hold on. I'll be right back!"

Next thing you know Vernon Reid comes flying out of the door from Corey pushing him out!

He is extremely nice and gracious. He not only signed my waybill, but the pic I had brought to the New Orleans gig to get signed. When I told him about missing him he apologized profusely but I said forget about it. I thanked him for being an influence, got a handshake and a pic, and even talked gear with him!!

I didn't want to keep him too long (I was second in line and there were plenty behind me), but I asked him how many springs he used in his Parker strung with 11s (Three). I asked him where he put the Eventide H9 in his rig (Ditto Looper - VG 99 - Strymon - H9 - Slicer)

Then I brought up my newly acquired VR Parker. I told him I had emailed Terry Atkins at Parker (he immediately lit up when I mentioned Terry) and was told mine was one of the first half dozen or so VR Parkers because mine was labeled DragonFly. Vernon was like "wow that's an ultra rare one" and proceeded to tell me the whole Parker / Fernandez DragonFly story.

The only issue with the pic my wife took was that his eyes were closed and I didn't realize it until we left.

Anyways sorry if I rambled a bit, but it's not everyday you meet a personal hero. And it's not everyday that that person ends up being a really nice guy on top of that.

I'm really glad that Parker associates themselves with class acts like Mr. Reid.

Re: So I met Vernon Reid Sunday night!

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Cool story and experience Bry Guy!   8)
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »
Not a long read at all! So awesome to spend a couple of minutes with one of your heroes. Very happy for you!

:D

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »
Great story, good times!
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »
So cool !

Thanks for sharing that great story.
A few Flys in my soup

Offline wcm.guitar

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
Congrats man!! I don't think you rambled enough.. ha. Vernon is a huge influence on me as well, so I definitely understand you're excitement. I've yet to see them live, but I've heard a lot of stories of them all being incredibly friendly.

Offline Bry Guy

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »
All the stories are true. Doug and Corey even remembered me from New Orleans and that was in May!

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »
Cool story. One lesson to learn, though .. always take at least two pictures!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline Bry Guy

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »
You're right. I asked my wife if it was a good pic and she said yes.

I should have double checked it myself.....

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »
Awesome!  He seems like a genuinely sweet dude
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 01:55:49 AM »
Old thread I know,  but I'm fairly new to the forum.  I actually owned Vernon's Zeta Mirror 6 midi guitar. I bought it from a guy 10 plus years ago on eBay. He actually didn't have it listed as such,  but it was a cool looking guitar and he happened to live about 30 minutes away. So I hit the buy it now for $250. Next day went to the guys house and he was telling me all about how this was Vernon's guitar and that he used to clean his apartment in new York. So I picked up a few other items that were Vernon's and went on my way. I had my doubts about his story so I just let it be. Then I started to research the zeta guitar. Turns out it was pretty rare and also worth some dough. After having it for about a year I decided it was time to sell. Not because I didn't like it,  but because I needed the cash. (oh how many guitars I should have kept) . Anyhow,  I started to wonder if I could tie in the Vernon Reid thing. Sent out a few emails to management and record labels. And within a few days I had contact from Vernon's girlfriend.  I was shocked.  Turns out this guy from eBay was telling the truth!  Crazy. So I ended up selling the thing for over $2k.  The buyer thought the Vernon thing was cool but he didn't really care. Before I sent it packing,  I had a local woodworking shop copy the body twice. I still have those today with full on zeta necks. (that's another long story) . And I even have 3 more real zeta mirror 6 beyond that now. (another long story) .  I never did speak with him directly,  but I'm sure he is probably a decent guy. His gf was nice. Lol.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »
I want to know if he is still playing Parkers...

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
Probably at home. On stage,  no.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:49:13 AM »

He's endorsed by PRS now.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »

He's endorsed by PRS now.

I thought I remembered something like that. Anyway, about the only "big name" guy still playing a Fly AFAIK is Adrian Belew.