Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: So I met Vernon Reid Sunday night!  (Read 4022 times)

Offline marcwormjim

Re: So I met Vernon Reid Sunday night!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 01:09:22 PM »
And he just had a fret fall off onstage. May be a wake-up call to keep his babies at home.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
And he just had a fret fall off onstage. May be a wake-up call to keep his babies at home.

Where'd you find out that tid bit of info? That's interesting to hear, and disheartening.

It must be hard to tell if a fret is near failure if Belew wouldn't notice an issue well before its demise.
Makes me wonder if it was a sudden mid-song breakage.

On Some of his YouTube vids he mentions that he never sells equipment, pedals or effects etc., so he can recreate his original sound.
 I bet he has a tech to do guitar repairs, or sends it to Shazrock for the star treatment and gets pushed to the front of the line.  Might be a repair shop near Nashville also since he's out of Covington Kentucky.
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »
Has Adrian been playing lately?

Offline jb63

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
Go to his Facebook page.
He's on tour in Europe. I don't think he's going to stop playing his parkers any time soon.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2016, 05:29:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure his sponsorhip has ran out. Especially with the USA shop being done and gone. I don't forsee any new sponsors stepping up.  He's getting too old. Great talented player non the less.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2016, 11:28:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure his sponsorhip has ran out. Especially with the USA shop being done and gone. I don't forsee any new sponsors stepping up.  He's getting too old. Great talented player non the less.

It just occurred to me that the US shop being shut down or its then pending demise could be why Adam Dutkiewicz endorsement fizzled and he sold off his custom Fly on evil bay a year or so ago.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:45:28 PM by Mr303 »
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »
Most likely.  Wonder how much he got  for it?  Do you recall?

Offline Mr303

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:50 PM »
Most likely.  Wonder how much he got  for it?  Do you recall?

a little over 2K comes to mind but not certain.
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline Bry Guy

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 07:46:21 PM »
Vernon said that he was having issues with Parker as far as artist relations went. He even had to replace his own fretboards a couple times.

And if HE couldn't get help as one of the few signature artist guitarists, what chance did we have?

PRS did make him a couple FR Roland equipped guitars, but it doesn't seem that he's "officially" sponsored by PRS.

I'm hoping that changes. He's a favorite player of mine and would love to see him have a sig guitar with somebody.

And no he's not much of a gear seller. At last talk, he's got all of his Parkers. Heck he's even got all his old Hamers and ESPs......

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
He let his Zeta Mirror 6 midi controller go in the late 80's early 90's,  so it is a possibility he will. 

Offline ubo

• Imperfect Product
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »
Link here with YouTube interview on background to his new guitars from PRS:

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/artists/story/interview_with_vernon_reid_about_his_new_prs_s2_vela_and_more

Bunch of his twitter comments on Parker (and Spiderman for obvious reasons) here:

https://twitter.com/search?q=parker%20from%3Avurnt22&src=typd&lang=en-gb

Offline Videosplicer

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2017, 10:18:32 AM »
So, I'm they guy on eBay who bought the mirror 6 from TinMachine. Still have it, guitar is flawless ...the controller was flakey but I located the schematics and got that issue fixed. Wonder if Vernon wants to buy it off me? Haha, no way, I'd never sell it! BTW, I still have the emails from his gf in the case!

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »

Where'd you find out that tid bit of info? That's interesting to hear, and disheartening.

It must be hard to tell if a fret is near failure if Belew wouldn't notice an issue well before its demise.
Makes me wonder if it was a sudden mid-song breakage.

On Some of his YouTube vids he mentions that he never sells equipment, pedals or effects etc., so he can recreate his original sound.
 I bet he has a tech to do guitar repairs ...

Described on his Facebook page from Feb 17, 2016:

"... I never really knew what it meant to "burn up a fret".
 until last night.

coming off stage following a blistering set in the small but tightlly packed Bombura Club in Slovakia I went to check the tuning on my silver Parker Fly only to have the third fret flake off right into my hand! I didn't know such a thing was even possible. I guess I burnt up a
[I assume the word fret was supposed to be here] ...

tonight we are set to play in what has to be the nicest venue of the tour. Sono Centrum in Brno, Czech Republic is part of a swank modern hotel complex. it sounds perfecr on stage. the cool thing is I can walk down 3 flights of stairs from my very nice room, open a door, and walk straight into the our dressing room!

a few hours from now, with the silver fly (now properly mended) in hand, that's exactly what I intend to do."
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Old Kraftsman Archtop|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 12:12:21 AM »
So, I'm they guy on eBay who bought the mirror 6 from TinMachine. Still have it, guitar is flawless ...the controller was flakey but I located the schematics and got that issue fixed. Wonder if Vernon wants to buy it off me? Haha, no way, I'd never sell it! BTW, I still have the emails from his gf in the case!
cool! I always wondered what happened to it. I thought it hand sold another time after I had sold it. I Handmade 2 mirror six bodies after that and didn't find necks till about 5 years later. Then another 10 years passed and I found a guy in Arizona that had a bunch from the factory. I made several guitars from those and a handful of basses. I've sold most of them since because I needed to downsize. I still have a few and one very unique special body. Well, male that 2 special ones. Anyway, glad to hear it's still being used. Cool technology.