Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mag/piezo switch replacemant prerefined Deluxe?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline 9fingers

• http://www.myspace.com/holycowwv
Mag/piezo switch replacemant prerefined Deluxe?
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
The 3 way mag/piezo/both switch on my '95 Deluxe is getting wonky. The mag setting cuts out some. I spray Deoxit in it & work it back & forth & it works for a while (days sometimes), then cuts out again. I'm afraid it is on the way out. It is my main gigging guitar & I can't have it cutting out at gigs. Anyone have a source/part # for a switch that would work? I would guess the originals aren't available anymore. 
Thanks!

I'll Fly Away!

Re: Mag/piezo switch replacemant prerefined Deluxe?

Offline Tectonix

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 03:05:19 PM »
That same type of switch config is used on my '06 Mojo. Now, I'm not sure if the newer switches would work because I have not tried a trade-out like that on my original Flys, but it's worth exploring for the info.  Some time ago I had contacted Parker concerning a similar quandry and the email response led me to some retailers whose products would work fine for what I needed for my original Fly.

I think some other members would have the exact switch brand name that you need, or at least the electrical ratings, etc.  If no one else weighs in on this topic, email Parker or give 'em a call. 

Good Luck
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:07:07 PM by Tectonix »
I started out in life with nothing and still have most of it left!

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
I'm not sure how much help USM would be with info regarded pre USM models and parts, but it may be worth a try.

Otherwise, maybe the part(s) from this thread would be of use?

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=4622.0

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
I'm not sure how much help USM would be with info regarded pre USM models and parts, but it may be worth a try.

Otherwise, maybe the part(s) from this thread would be of use?

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=4622.0

When it comes to replacement parts, don't count on Parker for any help on a pre-refined Deluxe - that's ancient history for them and I'm sure no one there would know anything about it. I wouldn't even bother with that, I would go straight to that website that is mentioned in the thread quoted above and order it from there.

Offline 9fingers

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
Thanks for the info. It looks like the 3 way On-Off-On DPDT switch in the links would do it. It is just a small switch with 3 terminals. Seems counter-intuitive that the center Off position would actually bridge the 2 outside positions (do piezo & mag combined) but I guess that is how it works. I trust Alex's research on the quality of the switch.

I'll Fly Away!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. It looks like the 3 way On-Off-On DPDT switch in the links would do it. It is just a small switch with 3 terminals. Seems counter-intuitive that the center Off position would actually bridge the 2 outside positions (do piezo & mag combined) but I guess that is how it works. I trust Alex's research on the quality of the switch.

It's a special kind of DPDT switch, it switches differently than a normal one.

Offline 9fingers

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
I followed Alex's posts in the links above & they explained the mag-piezo switch. It works on the grounds rather than hots, so it is perfectly natural that both both mag & piezo are "on" when the grounds are "off'' in the middle position of a normal on-off-on switch.

I'll Fly Away!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »
I followed Alex's posts in the links above & they explained the mag-piezo switch. It works on the grounds rather than hots, so it is perfectly natural that both both mag & piezo are "on" when the grounds are "off'' in the middle position of a normal on-off-on switch.

Yeah, it's just grounding out the pickups. That's pretty much how guitar wiring is done in any guitar as far as turning on/off a pickup is concerned.