Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For those who have lost their (piezo) balls  (Read 4994 times)

Offline resettheconsole

For those who have lost their (piezo) balls
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
I used to own a 2002 Nitefly P and 4 of the saddle balls came loose, but I never lost them. I recently purchased a 1998 Nitefly (believe it's an NFV6), and the G string was missing the balls. This is to help anyone looking to find replacement balls.

Note: You CAN just sit the balls back into place and it WILL work perfectly. Sadly, they will fall out again with heavy trem use or when a string is removed or broken. Also, you CAN glue them one they're in place. Don't put glue between the saddle and the balls, and it will work perfectly. Sit the balls in place and put the tiniest dab of superglue you can between them

Since the balls were completely lost, I had to look elsewhere. I knew USMC wouldn't be of much help. Also, I didn't want to order a box of 100 of them and pay $5 shipping for a $4 item, and wait a week or more for them to ship from Japan. Since I knew that simply replacing the balls would fix the piezo, I didn't want to remove and de-solder a perfectly good saddle.

The balls are 3/32 inch loose ball bearings. You can buy them online if you want, but I managed to find them locally...at an RC car shop. If you have a good hobby shop or even better a specialty RC car shop, give them a call and ask for "3/32 inch differential balls." They're used in a specific style of RC car differential. I found a pack of 12 balls for $1.99.

I don't use the trem much so this time I didn't glue them in like I did on my Nitefly P. The fit is perfect and the piezo works as it should...no drop in volume, no lost tone. Other than being slightly shinier because they're newer, you couldn't tell the difference.

Re: For those who have lost their (piezo) balls

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 06:32:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing that. Nice little trick to fix that type of saddle (I call them the "gen 2 saddle" since they were the 2nd saddle design of three designs so far).

Offline vito912

• Black Bear Music Art Works
    • Black Bear Music Art Works
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,14346.msg129586.html#msg129586

I also got some ball bearings like you, and fixed my saddle with them.
Some luthier said that it wouldn't work properly. But, it works perfect! No problem!
* '01 Parker Fly Classic
* '97 Parker NiteFly NFV1
* '97 Parker NiteFly NFV2
* '02 Parker NiteFly-SA
* '02 Parker NiteFly-M
* '01 Parker P-38

Offline skyshaver

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:56:46 AM »
Thanks for suggesting the RC supply to source the bearings. They work like a charm!