Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: maxxfly bass opinions  (Read 3854 times)

Offline david black

• Seven Against Thebes
maxxfly bass opinions
« on: October 17, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »
i posted here about 7 years ago and i forgot my password and the email i used at the time doesn't work...go navy...gotta dig moving every three years...anyway!

so, we all know about the fly bass that graced the cover of BP back in '92 with no actual fly bass until 2001 or so, with the exception of the prototype, the extended lower horn fly bass owned by steve swallow, and one probably not very widely known about was owned by al caldwell, but was sold on brian barrett's site probably 8 or 9 years ago...no idea who has it now...the lower horn actually got broken off of that bass...oops!

then the production fly bass come out...no comment...  :-/

so, now we see the maxxfly that came out last winter NAMM..._very_ promising, but i have yet to see a video of anyone playing it, an endorser, a comment about playability, sound and feel...just comments on how it looks...has anyone played one? i can't even find anyone that has them available...and you can get a fodera for the price...just sayin'...i know parker's craftsmanship is excellent and anything coming out of their shop is going to nearly be a custom bass, but i can't find much on these at all...and there is a 5 string in the works? any word?? anything at all??
24 empty missile tubes, a mushroom cloud and it's Miller Time

Re: maxxfly bass opinions

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »
I played it when I took a tour a couple of years ago.
Yummy!  Amazing feel, great balance, absolutely divine sound.
Wish I could've popped the cash for it but no way.
No idea on 5 string.  But the depth of sound on the 4th string was fantastic.  And light!  So light.
That's all I know!  :)
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline david black

• Seven Against Thebes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:46:12 PM »
hey, thanks a bunch for the reply...I watched the video up on youtube and the guy gave a pretty decent tour of the bass, but he never plugged it in or played a note...I was pretty disappointed...he did say a 5 string was in the works, and on this board a couple years back, it was said that there would be import models of this bass to follow, as well as us made 4 and 5 string bolt on models...I believe parker calls it a radial joint...I really don't know a lot about parkers other than I had a dream of mine crushed waiting on that first prototype fly to be built but it kinda came back to life when I saw the maxxfly...until I read about the price...I would have to do some serious saving for a bass that I don't feel like has yet proven itself...and if I had to go on the record of previous fly production models, I couldn't justify buying it at all...but it looks so awesome, it's hard to dismiss...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:49:56 PM by david black »

Offline jd84mc884qb

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator

Offline david black

• Seven Against Thebes
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
awesome! i saw those reviews, but never noticed the soundfile in the PG review...thanks a ton!

Offline david black

• Seven Against Thebes
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »
do the sound clips really do this bass justice??

Offline syncopa

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 12:07:42 AM »

then the production fly bass come out...no comment...  :-/

What do you mean by this comment? Are you speaking of the FB4?
1998 Fly Classic, FB4 Bass, P6E acoustic, DF522 FR Dragonfly

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:21 AM »
He means instead of this...

the reality was this...

but now there's this (much closer to those early expectations)...

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers