Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1998 Plum Deluxe with Dimarzio Crunch Lab  (Read 2497 times)

Offline resettheconsole

1998 Plum Deluxe with Dimarzio Crunch Lab
« on: November 11, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »
Crammed a Dimarzio Crunch lab into my 1998 Deluxe over the weekend. I'm not one to listen when people say it can't be done (:

No modifications were done to the guitar, although the route could use a little deepening. The Crunch Lab is one of the pickups that Dimarzio makes that is about a tenth of an inch taller than their typical product line. Unfortunately this makes the pickup sit a little closer to the string than optimal.

I'll be experimenting with several different pickups (from different brands). I do plan on modifying the guitar to be more accepting of other pickups. I have an extra set of the threaded brass inserts on the way direct from Parker

Re: 1998 Plum Deluxe with Dimarzio Crunch Lab

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:13:49 PM »
I've tried this with just one mounting screw. I found the opposite side to bounce up and down and have to much play. Are you using one pole piece to hold the pickup down? Does it work well enough that the bass side of the pickup doesn't move?
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »
Currently, you're right, there's only one mounting screw. The pickup is resting fully on the bottom of the cavity, so the one pole piece is quite sufficient.

If it were a smaller pickup (that would be too low if resting on the bottom), I could see it having the issue of being a touch wobbly, but a shim under the pickup should help with that.

That being said, I don't intend on keeping it this way. I should have some spare threaded brass inserts on the way from Parker and I plan on measuring and placing them carefully so that any pickup (Duncan, Dimarzio, Bare Knuckle,....) will drop right in and have 2 holes to bolt to.

It may require me to source shorter pole pieces for pickups (i.e. a Duncan which usually requires extra routing...instead of routing for the long pole pieces, I'll install short pole screws.)

On a side note...I did have an Ibanez QM1 in the neck of my Mojo before I sold it (a 90's stock high end Ibanez pickup that I LOVE). That dropped right in (with locally sourced screws for pole pieces) and bolted nicely to the stock (for Duncan) brass inserts. It also fit perfectly into the inserts of the Deluxe.

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
I believe DiMarzio T Spaced and Seymour Duncan Trem spaced don't match exactly. But I suppose you could easily get around that by having more than 2 bass bushings installed. Maybe string 1 & 5 for DiMarzio and 2 & 6 for Seymour Duncan? Anyway, I love pickup swaps. That's why I bought the Fly Mojo Singlecut.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Tosh

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:04:11 PM »
This concept of string staggered inserts for different pickups is a good one; thanks for sharing it!