Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smart switch doesn't work  (Read 11250 times)

Offline 908ssp

Smart switch doesn't work
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2006, 10:48:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

It is all in the output jack, as Parker says.
__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Actually Paul this isn't correct. First off John Page tells me there is a solid state switch built in to the Fishman Powerchip. Second Fishman tells me there is a electrical switch on the board. Third John P says the tech guy is wrong. Forth my tests indicate that there is some kind of electrical and not mechanical issue. Because by simple swapping the plugs from one amp to another the piezo turns on and off. I am not telling you all this to belittle you, but because I believe you are better able to understand what is happening on my guitar and I think Traps. I don't know if your Nitefly has the same Fishman Powerchip board so I can't tell you about yours. [^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006, 09:39:50 AM »
quote:
paul your an effing genius! running the d.i. box thru the front end of the acoustic amp did it! man ,parker should have that trick in the manual, it might save them a lot of stereo jacks.by the way,thank you,thank you.

Score! [^] Well, at least that's a workaround.

quote:
Hey Trap just curious did you try running with the stereo cord the piezos into the Rivera and the magnetics into the Blond? Try it without the direct box it would be ironic if that worked because that would indicate you are having the same problem I am having. The smart switch isn't triggered by your acoustic am but it is triggered by the tube amp.

I never thought to try it till after i sent my Mojo to Parker. They sent it back telling me theres was nothing wrong and of course when I tried it, it still didn't work. Not till I hooked up the piezos to the magnetic amp did the smart switch turn on. As soon as I plugged it back in the Johnson Digital Modeling amp I use of acoustic tones it stopped working. I put the cheap acoustic pedal between the Johnson and the stereo cable piezo pickup and it worked again.

Very interesting piece of information!

EDIT: Well, perhaps the piezo circuit is looking for a certain input impedance, and if it doesn't see that, it won't turn on. A tube amp has around 1 megohm input impedance and a well designed acoustic amp should be around 5 to 10 megohms. That's one idea.

quote:
Actually Paul this isn't correct. First off John Page tells me there is a solid state switch built in to the Fishman Powerchip. Second Fishman tells me there is a electrical switch on the board. Third John P says the tech guy is wrong. Forth my tests indicate that there is some kind of electrical and not mechanical issue. Because by simple swapping the plugs from one amp to another the piezo turns on and off. I am not telling you all this to belittle you, but because I believe you are better able to understand what is happening on my guitar and I think Traps. I don't know if your Nitefly has the same Fishman Powerchip board so I can't tell you about yours.

Impossible, I can't be wrong! [:D]

I would say that I'm partially correct. Ahem. [;)] Hmm... I do know that there is a solid state switch on board because of the delay between when you plug a cord into the guitar jack and when you can actually get sound out of the piezos. That would seem to be a built-in safety feature to prevent the electronics from getting fried. In some cases, that little SS switch must stay off for some reason. That switch also interacts with the output jack, because it is "smart" in the sense that if you plug a stereo cord into it, it knows to split the piezos from the mag PUPs, and to combine them with a mono cord. Now, what I need to research is just why this phenonomon happens. I have a suspicion that it has something to do with DC levels seen at the amp's input jack or something like that. A schematic of that Fishman circuit would clear things up a lot...

EDIT: Oh, and I agree that it is definitely an electronic problem, not a mechanical one as most people have assumed. Without a schematic of the circuitry, it's very hard to say what's going on. As I see it, Fishman owes Parker Guitars an explanation as to why this happens - I mean this is a fairly common occurence from what I gather.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 09:46:59 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline trap

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »
i tried that before alex,it happened when i was trying to figure out which end was for which pup system. and it made no difference. i got the new jack today from parker and it doesn't look anything like the existing jack.it's short and says it's a nine pin stereo jack.good thing the old one works. im with you paul, i think this happens a lot.and it must be something in the circuitry.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 08:30:32 AM »
quote:
im with you paul, i think this happens a lot.and it must be something in the circuitry.

I think it's time Parker stepped up to the plate and have Fishman give an explanation for this weirdness! [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 09:43:01 AM »
Paul you are a lot closer to the answer then I am. Your explanation of the different input impedance is what I was just guessing at. But I disagree that this is common problem. I think it probably is very rare. I sent my guitar back to Parker and after they sent me a new jack and a new Powerchip for free. They plugged it in and it worked and as far they were concerned it was fine and they were done. I don't believe if they knew of this problem they would have responded this way. When I wrote them after getting it back and it still didn't work with my Johnson but it did with my other amps they said they had never heard of that happening. I should have contacted Fishman but I had earlier and they didn't want to help as they consider any problem with a Parker as a Parker problem. I actually considered buying a Briggs pre-amp. I might still do it one of these days. [^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline trap

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 10:01:46 AM »
what did the old stereo button do? it must have changed something in the preamp.i doubt it changed the jack in any way. also ,alex, the problem with problems is that they are like ants,and mice. where there's one , there's ten.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 03:47:16 PM »
quote:
I don't believe if they knew of this problem they would have responded this way. When I wrote them after getting it back and it still didn't work with my Johnson but it did with my other amps they said they had never heard of that happening.

I experienced some of this same quirkiness with my own Mojo Nitefly. Anyhow, I see this problem come up fairly regularly at this forum, so it's probably a larger problem than it appears. I think a lot of people probably never experience this problem because they don't actually use two different amps, so the word doesn't get back to Parker. This is similar to when you take your car to the mechanic and say "it does this and it sounds like that", but it's working perfectly normal at that moment.

quote:
the problem with problems is that they are like ants,and mice. where there's one , there's ten.

That's what I'm getting at. I think there is something weird that happens in certain circumstances, but I have not been able to positively identify the exact conditions for this problem to occur. It does seem to be tied to whether or not that soild state switch turns on or not. I still think it has something to do with the amp's input somehow. This would make sense if the amp's input jack was DC coupled without an input cap, but amps usually always have an input cap.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 03:48:56 PM by Paul Marossy »