Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rube Goldberg fix on Mojo  (Read 2041 times)

Offline SEFSTRAT

• http://members.aol.com/sefstrat/index.html/sefpage.html
Rube Goldberg fix on Mojo
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:04 PM »
I have three Parkers: 

--Deluxe Single 2 (from the pre-US Music Ken Parker Bopston days)
--Mojo (about 10 years old)
--P36  (about 7 years old)

For those of you who have a Parker that requires the insertion of a big rod into the back in order to move the wheel from one position to another (fixed and downtrem-only or downtrem-only and float), I have a kind of simple operational solution.

You see, you're supposed to tune in the 'down' position (either fixed or downtrem-only).  Also, if you break a string in the float (up) position, switching to the downtrem-only (down) position means that the other 5 strings stay in tune!  Wow...only Parker can do this (other than...ugh...Steinberger).

So how are you supposed to take advantage of this on a gig?!  Carry that bikg rod in your bacl pocket?!  Attach it to the mioc stand?!

My older Parker (Deluxe Single 2) does it with a switch...so, I decided to 'restore' that functionality.

I found a machine screw with a rounded head that was just slightly wider than the little hole the rod fits into, inside the back of the guitar, in that little black plastic wheel.  I screwed that into the plastic, and because it was just a LITTLE bigger than the inside diameter of the hole, it bit in, but didn't hurt or crack anything (the plastic's pretty soft, feels almost Teflon-ish).

The screw was just the right length to sing in, but still the head of the screw barely protrudes from the slot in the plastic cover on the guitar's back.

Then, for appearance's sake, I colored the screw black with a Sharpie!

I can JUST slide the screw up and down, thereby operating the mechanism, but it doesn't protrude so far that ikt gets moved byu, say, a belt buckle or the waistband of my jeans (as did the original one at times).  Perfect!

Goodbye big steel adjustment rod.  Ugh.

GREAT guitar.  But there's always something...

I'd post pics, but this forum doesn't seem to want to cooperate in that regard...
Steve (SEFSTRAT)

--Deluxe Single 2 (pre US Music, from Ken Parker
   Boston Days)
--Fly Mojo (circa 2006)
--P-36  (circa 2008)

Re: Rube Goldberg fix on Mojo

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
You need to host your pictures with something like photobucket and then use the IMG function to post them on the forum.  Sounds like you have an ingenious solution there.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline mountaindewaddict

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »
Yeah, I might try that.  Thanks for the tip!  8)
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »
Can't adjust the tension wheel to get pressure onto it though still, and rebalance the tension once unlocked? Or am I missing something?
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...