Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: six-way switch  (Read 1447 times)

Offline ekornbakke

six-way switch
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
Hello people.  :)
I would like to install a six-way switch on my 1997 deluxe, so I can have more options with the pick-ups, like I have on the Mojos. I have found this switch on the net, and I think it has been briefly discussed on the forum earlier:
http://www.freewayswitch.com/products/products.html
I am looking at the 3x3-03 version.

My questions are simple:
-will it fit in the deluxe guitar?
-how is the quality of this switch?
-are there perhaps other better six-way switches out there that would make a better match with my old Fly??

Any insights and experiences would be very much appreciated.
-----
Parker Fly Mojo 08, Summer!
Parker Fly Mojo Quilt 08, Transparent Green Burst
Parker Fly Deluxe 01, Majik Blue
Parker Fly Artist 97, Sitka Spruce

Re: six-way switch

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »
Has your guitar been converted to point to point wiring? It would be pretty hard to use that switch if it were not.

In any case, I like the idea of more pickup combinations.

Offline ekornbakke

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
No, this guitar has not been modified in any particular way. I am open to making even some other modifications an adjustments to this guitar to make it work the way I like. So doing PTP could be an option, as long as I am not loosing something important. (pardon me for not quite remembering the pros and cons of this operation, I have been away from this forum for quite some time)

Of course, this being a good old Parker from the good old days, I am a bit reluctant to change something that already works. But then again I also have a pre-refined Artist that I plan to keep in its original condition!

I guess doing PTP would give some more space to work on inside then?!
-----
Parker Fly Mojo 08, Summer!
Parker Fly Mojo Quilt 08, Transparent Green Burst
Parker Fly Deluxe 01, Majik Blue
Parker Fly Artist 97, Sitka Spruce

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
Yes more room to work, but downside is that you have to replace existing circuitboard with new Fishman PowerChip for the piezo pickups and you lose the piezo tone control. Alex (908SSP) knows a lot more about it, he's done it to a few of his own guitars.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »
Hiya,

I bought one of the older/original Freeway switches a few years back hoping to do something like this, but found the "barrel" part of the switch (i.e. the bit that sticks up through the body of the guitar, with the nut on it) was too short to fit through the body of my Fly Deluxe.
The only solution would have been to carve out wood from inside the cavity in so the switch would reach through far enough to be usable, which i decided against doing. So, check the length of the barrel, or how thick the body of the guitar can be, might have changed, but i think these switches were originally made as replacements for Les Paul type guitars, and they have a significantly thinner top.

Ciao

Big Swifty
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54:14 AM »
I bought one of the older/original Freeway switches a few years back hoping to do something like this, but found the "barrel" part of the switch (i.e. the bit that sticks up through the body of the guitar, with the nut on it) was too short to fit through the body of my Fly Deluxe.

Yes, and that is the other problem that you may have. I've Dremel-ed out holes on guitars before to get certain switches to work, but it's delicate work and it does make a weak spot in the top in that area. I've never had a problem with anything I've done, but it's something to keep in mind.

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
Has anyone successfully done this?  I ordered one of those switches from JJ on the recommendation of another thread.

Offline jb63

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 11:07:37 PM »
Yes. I have a freeway switch i use with gen 2 dimarzios.
I love it. I haven’t used one with Duncans yet, but I use them in a couple of carvins with Holdsworth pickups.

Offline dspiffy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 03:13:42 AM »