Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Different Parker Necks  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
Different Parker Necks
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »
Hello!

I've read on some marketing stuff that the new flared headstock had more strength and allows for a thinner and faster profile. I had a look on the website and couldn't see the spec being any different from my old fly mojo though.

Which models have thinner necks? When did they change? We're these just on the bolt ons? Tell me about the different necks on different models over the years! Didn't the Nitefly have more jumbo frets than the flys?
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Re: Different Parker Necks

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:03 AM »
Interesting. Since I like speedy necks. However...

My '97 deluxe has a thinner neck than my DF845... I think I could have opted for a skinnier neck on the latter, but went with the medium one. It is very close, mind, but noticeable. First time I heard that about the headstock then again, I haven't been here as long as some.

/curious

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:54:21 AM »
I've not heard that about the headstock. from our conversations on the forum over the years the head stock was changed for production purposes and the ability to hang the guitar traditionally.
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:31:31 AM »
I can promise you that the original headstock design is not as weak as most people seem to think. I've played a fly with 12's on it tuned standard (and Parker makes springs for 12's, so clearly its not advised against). Plus, I've only seen one or two Flys with broken headstocks (from a physical impact), and the break was right at the nut, not the thinner part of the head. See this pic:

I'd be willing to bet that production issues are the number 1 influence in the design change, covered up by saying "you can hang it now!"

As for which models have thinner necks - several forum members, myself included, have tried to unearth any details about this, but it's a crap shoot. Some have thinner necks than others, hell some even have thinner bodies. There's a lot of hand carving going on, so specs vary. It's been rumoured that USM flys are thicker (neck and body), and while the one USM fly I owned WAS indeed thicker all around, I have played a few that were darn near the same as my pre-USM flys.

You are correct that the nitefly's had jumbo frets, as did the Fly Stealth model, and ALL USM Flys. Pre-USM Flys had skinnier, shorter frets that are no longer available. The Nitefly's I've owned (2, both pre-usm) had considerably thicker necks than the Flys I've owned. The thickest Fly neck was my 2008 Mojo, second is my 1998 Deluxe, and the thinnest I've owned is my 1998 Classic.

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:28 AM »
^ I'm curious about the way to determine neck thickness in this context. If by measuring something, exactly what, where, and how?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »
Other than the way the neck feels in the hand (which was my first indicator), I've used calipers between the fingerboard and back of the neck, as well as a flexible tape measure wrapped tightly around the neck, both at the first and twelfth frets.

I don't recall the exact numbers, and I didn't record them, but they were pretty different.

Offline danjazzny

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
That picture sure is unsettling!  :o
'99 Simonized Artist 4lbs13oz; '97 TransRed Artist 4lbs9oz; '00 TransCherry Classic w/SD's 5lbs3oz; Line 6 Vetta II

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »
Hate that picture too!  Makes me slightly queasy!

The MAIN reason for the new headstock is to be able to have the guitars hang in the store.  Old headstock could only hang with the bullwinkle attached.  Unwieldy and the stores did not like that.  The solution was a more traditional shape.  We fought to get the carved Parker distinct look into the headstock so we now have a visual compromise reminiscent of the old headstock.

But the primary reasons for the change were 1. display and 2. move the truss rod to the center of the neck.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline lucgravely

• the odds have it.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 07:42:20 AM »
startofftopic/
Pat did you ever see the FireFly headstock design? I've always been curious as to what it looked like. One day when I order a custom shop Parker I'd love to know if it's still on the table as an option and if it is really cool looking. Maybe BillyT could post a picture.
/endofftopic
Luc Gravely
Parker Fly Mojo Singlecut
Parker NiteFly NV1
Mesa/Boogie Mark I
1966 Fender BandMaster
A few pedals...

Offline Mello

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 12:55:58 AM »
So click here because that picture sure is unsettling!  :o

Same here because I have the same one, it's like seeing your friend with a broken neck.  :-[
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:20:00 AM by Mello »

Offline Mr303

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »
After seeing that neck debacle I need another beer to calm the nerves.
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90