Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nitefly bridge migration  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Mikhael

Nitefly bridge migration
« on: March 11, 2014, 01:47:01 PM »
A while back (last year), before falling on hard times, I had written a post (and participated in discussions) about the bridge of my Nitefly somehow migrating forward (towards the nut), to the point where I can't intonate it anymore.  Now that I'm employed again, I've come back to see what became of that discussion.  However, all those bridge discussions seem to be missing, and my history ("My Messages") shows no record of it!  What the heck?!?
---Mikhael...
             ***Parker and Godin - at least they tried something new...

Re: Nitefly bridge migration

Offline NiteFlierJB

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
- 1996 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
- 1997 Parker NiteFly NFV1 - white pearl
- 2013 Parker PDF70 - Tangerine

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:05:41 PM »
hi folks-i have the problem too, as mentioned, on my remaining fly, a 98 artist.  started appearing last spring i think, noticed the ball bridge posts werent centered, then feared vibrato use would dig into body wood, then put the tuning problems i had been having together.  thought it was just me.  wrote ken for a comment on the "fix". no response.  parker sent me delrin washers last month.  don't know what to do. these were ken parker era guitars then and i believe there is a warranty of merchantibility regardless of age.

i agree, many photos i see that i can blow up show the same problem.  i think parker needs to provide the years and models when this is a problem so we all know what we have in our guitars, flys, niteflys ect..  there also needs to be more info on the two or more variations of vibratos that exist.

i want to know what precisely created the problem.  wood type, route parameters, vibrato variations, age, stresses possible??

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »
That was one of the threads; on another, there were posts with pictures about how to fix the problems.  Unfortunately (for met at least) those pictures no longer load up; I've never been able to see them.  I have two Delrin washers sent to me for fixing this (both the same size, which I've been told was also wrong), but I have no idea what the heck to do with them!

For a couple of years now, I've owned a completely unplayable Parker Nitefly.  First, the balls in the original saddle disappeared.  I couldn't buy a replacement.  So I bought a brand new set of the new-style saddles.  Well, you could NOT keep strings on them!  They broke almost instantly, even with me gently filing the witness point of the saddle.  So I replaced them YET AGAIN with Graphtech saddles, hoping to alleviate that situation.  Well, it did; the Graphtech saddles are great.  THEN I noticed the bridge grating on the plastic pickguard!  Plus, the thing played out of tune, and no amount of trying to intonate the bridge did any good; I could put the saddles back far enough.  This left only one logical conclusion - the bridge was migrating forward, being pulled towards the nut!  That's when I got on here, trying to figure out just how the @#$% to fix THAT.

I've got a P-38 as well that I bought brand new.  The original Wilkinson saddles made by Fishman were crap; the string-to-string balance was terrible.  I replaced those with the Graphtech Ghost saddles, and at the same time replaced the nut, tuning gears (Sperzel locking tuners now), and single-coil pickups (the originals became microphonic and squealed like stuck pigs about 3 months after I bought it).  NOW it plays great, stays in tune, and sounds just right.  A fairly cheap overseas guitar, that I had to work on to get ti right; I sort of expected that (except for the Fishman saddles).

So I got the Nitefly when I had a chance, figuring it should be superior.  I've used it maybe twice since I've had it, and it's been a constant source of problems.  Now this bridge thing - how the heck do I fix it?  Am I just throwing away my money, trying to make this guitar work?  Should I cut my losses, and just rape it for parts?  Yes, I'm frustrated!
---Mikhael...

Offline tats_dragon

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
I have this problem too.  The pickguard on the lower E side is cracked to the humbucker pickup opening.   I just changed string guages and now can't intonate. 

The Nitelfy uses the same bridge holder posts as the Fly? 

Is that Delrin washer supposed to enlarge the diameter of the two bridge holder posts? 
Wish those pictures were still up!!

Offline tats_dragon

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
Talked to Nate the service manager and Parker expert at Third Coast Guitars.  Unfortunately he has never heard of this migrating problem even on a Fly.  He is going to get back to me if these 'Delrin washers' are still available from Parker.         

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
we need to put pressure on parker so they fully explain the problem, its history, what bridges are leaning, and its fixes.  so far they are sending out two plastic washers and telling us, don't push too hard!!!!!!

this problem could be huge and may go back to ken's original design, or a mis-programmed CNC program, or  a particular bridge version,...who knows what else it could be, soft body wood like basswood or spruce??  the people with the answers aren't talking.    i think since 50s  gibson les paul jrs. did it, parker may think it can get away with pedaling a poor leaning bridge design and get away with it by smoke and mirrors.  a one year warranty does not preclude an implied warranty of merchantability in the law. 

i am assuming that i will get banned or locked with this information.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:34:31 AM by bembamboo »

Offline tats_dragon

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:44:42 AM »
Do you really think they don't know?  'It's an isolated incident' crap?   

US Music Crap is probably afraid of admitting any past problems due to possible liability issues.  Come on, you think those fauxParkers are flying of the shelves, enough to properly help loyal past customers with serious unplayable problems?  The evidence is the sheer amount of new fauxParker owners posting here.  If it wasn't for the loyal Ken era Parker gurus, this place is dead.

I personally know there's one liar employed there with another trying to cover it up with yet another lie out of embarrassment.   

Taking away the angle............. is that categorized as an 'innovation'?  Seriously, anyone creative still employed at Parker?

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »
hey folks, now the leaning bridge post on the parker vibrato is happening to a 2013 mahogany Fly Mojo.  apretty top shelf product.

any recent developments from you nightfly folks?

see multi threads and posts in TECHTALK, FLYS, CUSTOM Parkers, and Night flys , among other relevant threads.

syber gave me "permission" to re-bump these threads as long as it doesn't annoy him.  thx syber.

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »
So, nothing on this topic?  No word from Parker about how to rectify this problem?  The times I've tried to call, they've feigned ignorance, even when I've told them the Forum was awash with comments about it!
---Mikhael...

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 01:49:57 PM »
So, nothing on this topic?  No word from Parker about how to rectify this problem?  The times I've tried to call, they've feigned ignorance, even when I've told them the Forum was awash with comments about it!

You haven't kept up with the news. The Parker factory has been shut down. No new US guitars are being built. Inventory is probably sold off.

Any problem you experience with any Parker guitar will require you to seek resolution elsewhere.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Mikhael

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
Wow; no I HAVEN'T kept up with the news.  I didn't know that.  I guess I'm screwed, then.  I have a $1500 hunk of junk.  Parker has joined with Mackie, I guess.
---Mikhael...

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 03:52:55 PM »
And yes,  their parts inventory has been liquidated.  That is a fact.

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 12:41:44 PM »
Wow; no I HAVEN'T kept up with the news.  I didn't know that.  I guess I'm screwed, then.  I have a $1500 hunk of junk.  Parker has joined with Mackie, I guess.

I would't call it junk. If you're seriouisly at your wits end with it, take it to a competent luthier (read: guitar BUILDER not a guitar center 'tech').

At the absolute very worst case the bridge pin holes will need to be drilled, dowells glued in, and re-drilled. It's likely the surgery required will not be that intense, but everything is repairable.

Offline billy

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 07:19:31 PM »
Remove the strings and check to see if the posts are moving (rattling) within the bushings. If so the fix is easy. Either the washers or a thin shim between post and bushing.

If the bushings are moving or loose in the wood, then it's a little more involved but worst case you would use glued in wood plugs and redrill the bushing holes.

There's been a lot of miscommunication about what this and each guitar needs to be evaluated on its own to determine root cause and corrective action.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]