Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Piezo Straight to Mixer Console  (Read 4054 times)

Offline billmavra

Piezo Straight to Mixer Console
« on: March 23, 2014, 07:51:08 AM »
Hi, i would like to know if a Parker that has Piezo pickups could play decently if it was connected straight to a mixer (like acoustic guitars)... Thank you in advanced....

Re: Piezo Straight to Mixer Console

Offline Uncle Dave

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:17:44 PM »
Bill,
The answer depends on many things ... the first of which is:
1) your setup. I have 11's on mine because I need a wound G string - this set seems to provide more tension and gives a fuller, more acoustic tone from the Piezo section. If you have 9s or 10s, you may not get that robust tone that a real acoustic will give.
2) second, is your playing style - do you strum hard, or pick lightly? Each has their affect on tone.
3) a good Piezo preamp can help some pickups - my Fly Supreme sound pretty good on it's own, but it sounds AMAZING coming through my TC Nova system. Try a few EQ options and different pick strengths for more tone coloring too.

Good luck!

Offline Obsidian

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:09:22 AM »
I've been having no problems running my Fly in stereo with the piezo going straight through the desk. Even had a sound guy come over to me once or twice to chat afterwards that were happy with the fake-acoustic sound.

Heavier strings work wonders here. If I could play everything else on 11's it'd probably sound better, but... I'm a 10 guy so...

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:15:42 AM »
... if a Parker that has Piezo pickups could play decently if it was connected straight to a mixer (like acoustic guitars)...

The playing is great, of course - so I guess you're wondering about the sound. I don't much like the sound of my Deluxe (or other Flys I've heard online) using the piezo output alone and untreated, though I do like mixing it with the mag pickups for certain things. A few members here use the Fishman Aura Spectrum to enhance the straight piezo signal for a fuller and more convincing acoustic sound. I bought one of those myself, and I agree - I find that works well enough for me, even using my 8 gauge strings.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
I use the piezo extensively.  I have done a few recordings of piezo direct in the board.  Sounds OK but definitely not a positive comparison to an acoustic guitar.
OTH, I now play through an Axe FX II processor and I have used Impulse Responses I created to match sounds of high end acoustic guitars with great results.  You can see this in the thread attached on the Fractal Forum.
If you have a DAW you can plug into, I could send you the IR which you can load into any convolution reverb plugin and then use this with your Piezo.  With some reverb and delay to taste and you should have a heavenly tone.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-tone-match/51715-wow-now-thats-what-im-talking-about-acoustic-tone-heaven.html
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline ubo

• Imperfect Product
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »
Just had a listen to your Autumn Leaves, sounds good :)

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 04:08:34 PM »
Just had a listen to your Autumn Leaves, sounds good :)

Thanks. This was pure noodle as I was caught in the rapture of the tone!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline ubo

• Imperfect Product
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 06:48:56 PM »
lol  :D

Offline Nefarius

• The Nefarius Homepage
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »
You can always warm up the pure piezo tone by adding a little magnetic neck pickup with the tone control backed down. Add some reverb and it will sound pretty nice right into a mixer or into an amp.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »
see Lunch w/Dan Boul Tonemerchants 12.17.14 at youtube 55:00:00 for inspiring methods for doing just that, direct into the board.  i'd give yah the link but big brother locked my thread last time i did, when they discussed the future of tube amps.  they also cover kemper/AXE FX versus tubes.  very enlightening by pro-big venue soundman tom abraham at 1:00:00

Offline Bagatell

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »
see Lunch w/Dan Boul Tonemerchants 12.17.14 at youtube 55:00:00 for inspiring methods for doing just that, direct into the board.  i'd give yah the link but big brother locked my thread last time i did, when they discussed the future of tube amps.  they also cover kemper/AXE FX versus tubes.  very enlightening by pro-big venue soundman tom abraham at 1:00:00

http://youtu.be/VyxAAqzO14E?t=55m

Interesting discussion. How many times did they say "if it sounds good it is good"?  :)

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 09:43:56 PM »
use a compressor on the piezzo