Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: non-bronze strings on a Fly Bronze?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline JimmyTheSaint

non-bronze strings on a Fly Bronze?
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:51 AM »
Due to physical issues, the only way I can possibly play my Fly Bronze in the next few months is to switch from phosphor bronze 12's to the lightest gauge possible, which apparently is 10-47. In that case, I thought I'd try electric 9's. Any idea if that will cause any kind of problem aside from sacrificing tone? This is the opposite of the questions people here have asked about trying bronze strings on a guitar with magnetic pickups. I can't think of a reason it won't work, but if the performance is particularly awful, that would be worth knowing. Still, it's best for me to go to 9's rather than 10's, and I might have to take a few months' break even from 9's.
2006 Fly Bronze Cedar #51, 3lbs. 5.9oz.

Re: non-bronze strings on a Fly Bronze?

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »
It will work. The piezo will pick up the vibration of any string, no matter the material.

Tone, volume, truss tension, and intonation will be different, of course.

Offline JimmyTheSaint

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
I finally tried a set of nylons on the bronze, with mixed results. All I could find in a set of ball ends was a set of Martin Darco high tensions. I absolutely hate the sound of the wound strings because the bass response is just totally missing compared to my phosphor bronze set of 12's. I assume that a big part of the problem is the .035 and .043 gauge of the nylon bass strings compared to the 12's .056 and .04n. Or perhaps the sound is standard for a nylon string, but it just sounded sucky compared to my regular acoustic nylon. The non-wound nylon strings actually sound pretty good on the Bronze, and I like their feel under my fingers better than plain steel, which was one thing I was going for. The nylons'  lower volume throws the guitar off balance a bit, forcing me to compensate a bit with my right hand. Maybe I'll easily get used to that, or maybe not. Is there a per-string volume control in side the Bronze's guts?

So now I have nylon on strings 1, 2, and 3, and bronze on 4, 5, and 6. Any references to other people who do half nylon half bronze?
2006 Fly Bronze Cedar #51, 3lbs. 5.9oz.