Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Duncan P/U's  (Read 2330 times)

Offline msjjr

New Duncan P/U's
« on: April 03, 2005, 09:14:58 AM »
I have a 1999 Fly Classic with the original pickups. Have any of the posters compared the new Seymour Duncan pickups to the old DiMarzios? I'm interested in as many opinions as I can get because I'm toying with the idea of a conversion or even getting a new Mojo, but I haven't been able to audition one. The only Parker dealer in Toronto hasn't received one yet.

Thanks.
lotsa guitars

New Duncan P/U's

Offline shadow

New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 04:54:03 PM »
I changed the pickups on on Parker Classic from the stock DiMarzio's to Seymour Duncan's.  I used the Jazz model in the neck position and the JB model in the bridge position (as does Parker on the Mojo model).  The tone is awesome.  No comparison IMHO.  The guitar sounds line a totally different guitar.  My band members commented on the tonal quality at the first rehearsal we had after I modified the guitar.  I also had the opoortunity to have a guitarist from another band come out to see us play.  He came out twice.  Once when I had the stock pick ups and onec after I changed them.  I didn't tell him that I had modified the guitar.  However, after the second gig, he came up to me and asked me if I had changed my amp or somethign like that because my guitar tone was killer, way better than the last time he saw us play.  This was an unsolicited response from another guitar player.  You can look up my post in the "Seymore Duncan PU's for Fly" post in this forum.  I detailed the stpes that I took to make the modification.  If I did this right, following should be the link to the post - http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 05:54:12 PM by shadow »

New Duncan P/U's

Offline 908ssp

New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 10:43:53 PM »
While I commend shadow for his determination to install non original pickups in his Deluxe, I for one wouldn't do what he did, so his saying he did it doesn't make it something you should expect to have to do or assume that it is was an acceptable alternative, as it might not be once you know the details. Which are at the link he provided so it was not his intention to be in anyway misleading or my suggestion that he was doing so only that shadow has bigger Ba!!s then some of us[:o)]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 09:25:00 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

New Duncan P/U's

Offline msjjr

New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 01:02:37 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.
lotsa guitars

New Duncan P/U's

Offline Lir11a

New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 01:23:17 AM »
Hi Shadow,

Did you change the pickups in a Deluxe or a Classic? Here you mention a Deluxe but in the post in which you describe the "operation" you say it is a Classic. Also - did you use ordinary Duncans or were they the ones that are built for Parkers?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 05:07:26 AM by Lir11a »

New Duncan P/U's

Offline Binner

New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 07:07:47 AM »
I have a 98 Classic and have tried a few different pickups. I did play the my Classic with its stocks next to a Mojo through the same amp. I liked the Classic with its stock pickups better. I have had JBs in other guitars also, I was never a big fan of the JB, it always sounded a bit thin with a nasal midrange and weak lows, but it is a very popular pickup. Many people like it and Mustaine has always had some cool tones with it, but I don't like playing through it. I have also had a Steve's Special in the bridge, it was also very articulate and defined like the Tone Zone, plenty of low end and a little less midrange but had a bit too much high end for the Fly and my amp. I am happiest with the stock pups at the moment, but I am always looking. Many have said the Breed from Dimarzio would work well in the Fly, but I haven't tried one yet. I guess even some die hard Seymour Duncan fans like the Breed. I don't have a preferred company, I like models from both. The Tone Zone is a very cool pickup IMO, but the JB may work better with Shadow's amp also. Guess you don't know until you try it, but I wouldn't try Shadow's mod either, and I have done a lot of work on instruments over the years.
'97 Fly Classic with Steve's Special/Air Norton
'05 Mojo Flame (Green) with SD Distortion/Jazz
'03 Parker 5-String (Natural) Duncan AJB-5s
'89 Hamer with Sustainiac
'95 Ovation Standard Elite (Green Burst)
'98 Ovation Balladeer (Red burst)
PRS Custom 24
Fender American Deluxe Strat
a bunch of Jacksons
a bunch of Charvels
a bunch of Peaveys (Vandenbergs)
Mesa RoadKing II
Mesa Mark IV Long Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
Mesa F-30
Mesa 4x12
Peavey Triple X 2x12
Peavey 4x12 with two V30s and 2 G12T 75s
SWR Bass 750 with Mesa 4x10 and 1x15
Mesa Bass 400+
...and a bunch of other stuff

New Duncan P/U's

Offline shadow

New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 06:11:59 PM »
quote:
Did you change the pickups in a Deluxe or a Classic? Here you mention a Deluxe but in the post in which you describe the "operation" you say it is a Classic. Also - did you use ordinary Duncans or were they the ones that are built for Parkers?

Sorry, I meant a Classic.  I edited my response to state that.

I used ordinary Duncans not the ones built for Parker.

By the way I posted in this thread because msjjr specificaly asked about a comparison of the old DiMarzios to Duncans and because I received opinions from other musicians relative to my guitar tone.  My opinion of a better tone is shared by other musicians and those opinions were not solicited by me.  So I must believe that it is not wishful thinking on my part, but rather a true upgrade in tonal quality.  There are also people that you can find on the Internet that will do this mod for you (for a fee of course).  I don't know exactly what model Duncan pickups they are using, so I don't know what the results will be.  But I mention this because if someone has gone through the trouble to set up a business doing this modification (and is obviously doing well or else they wouldn't be able to support the cost of the site, etc), then it must have some merit, at least in the minds of some of us Parker players.

That being said, in my posts relative to this subject, I am not trying to convince anyone who is happy with thier tone to make any changes.  I am merely stating that if you are looking for something else (hell even Parker came out with the Mojo to give potential buyers the option of Duncans)and you have the knowledge and skill to make this mod, then it may be a very inexpensive way for you to achieve your goal rather than purchasing a new guitar.[:D]  However, beware that if you have any reservations about working on your guitar, then stay away from this as you would be better off auditioning a Mojo at your local Parker dealer and if you like it, you can sell your current Classic and purchase the Mojo.[;)]

New Duncan P/U's

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 09:52:35 PM »
approximately 4/5 guitar players, out of those i know, prefer duncans to dimarzios.  i like my dimarzios, but i am in the minority.  i applaud parker for offering duncans.  it was a very wise move on their part.  perhaps someday off in the future we'll see a parker with custom emg's, although i doubt emg will ever be as popular as duncan.

New Duncan P/U's

Offline Binner

New Duncan P/U's
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »
Duncan does have some great pickups, I have always loved the Full Shred (maybe my favorite, but I am guessing it would be too bright for the Fly) and I love the Heavy Metal Live Wire (I would find a way to put one in a Fly if they tamed the output to a reasonable level - cool sounding pickup though) Ahhh...the fun you can have with a soldering iron! I might to have to buy another guitar or two just drop the above pickups in them, just because I miss them in my old guitars (never should have sold a single one!) I have found that the Tone Zone sounds similar to the Heavy Metal Live Wire, which is what my old #1 was equipped with, so its no shock to me that I like the sound of the stock Tone Zone so much. I am sure that there will be other hand wound Dimarzio style drop in replacement alternatives for Fly pickups in the very near future ;)
'97 Fly Classic with Steve's Special/Air Norton
'05 Mojo Flame (Green) with SD Distortion/Jazz
'03 Parker 5-String (Natural) Duncan AJB-5s
'89 Hamer with Sustainiac
'95 Ovation Standard Elite (Green Burst)
'98 Ovation Balladeer (Red burst)
PRS Custom 24
Fender American Deluxe Strat
a bunch of Jacksons
a bunch of Charvels
a bunch of Peaveys (Vandenbergs)
Mesa RoadKing II
Mesa Mark IV Long Head
Mesa Stiletto Deuce II
Mesa F-30
Mesa 4x12
Peavey Triple X 2x12